Notices

Downpipe for OBX top mount manifold

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 02:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Downpipe for OBX top mount manifold

Just curious where I can get a downpipe for an OBX top mount manifold. Yeah I know they're cheap and crack and whatever but it's what I'm using for now. Any link or info to where I can get one is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-10-2013, 02:19 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Downpipe for OBX top mount manifold

If not OBX, gotta make one.
Old 03-10-2013, 05:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I don't mind making one. I couldn't find an obx one anywhere. Do you have a link to the materials I would need to make one?
Old 03-10-2013, 06:40 PM

I pick my good steel up locally. Stainless T304 Schedule 10 steel.

Check with Vibrant Performance..

For Manifolds
http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...Path=1022_1066

Mandrel Bent Tubing for Downpipe bends
http://vibrantperformance.com/catalo...Path=1022_1065

For straight pipes-using Vibrant 2642 steel.
http://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-2642-S.../dp/B001804SBS

Check with vendors and such to get these products. Get a good fabricator to get it together. OR, considering you're in Washington State, I'm sure there are some shops (they don't have to be specific to imports....they can be domestic car -based too) that can fab one up for you.

Stop thinking internet, and start thinking interaction with businesses and shops that customize in your community. They are there. Just need to meet these shops, sit down with them and get it done. Then, you have a win-win.
Old 03-10-2013, 06:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TheShodan
Considering you're in Washington State, I'm sure there are some shops.
SpeedFactory. Ricky can fab whatever you need. He's currently working on a new manifold that will have equal length runners similar to a top mount but retain the bottom mount stability.
Old 03-10-2013, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by mechanix619
SpeedFactory. Ricky can fab whatever you need. He's currently working on a new manifold that will have equal length runners similar to a top mount but retain the bottom mount stability.
Yeah I'll probably call SF, but I'm in Spokane which is a good 4-5 hour drive. Like I said I'm using the OBX top mount cause it's what I have at the moment so I just need a downpipe to complete my kit.

And thanks for the links TheShodan
Old 03-10-2013, 08:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ebay
Old 03-10-2013, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stop thinking internet, and start thinking interaction with businesses and shops that customize in your community. They are there.
yes. this is fantastic. spend the few extra bucks and keep it local.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by MR.johnson
yes. this is fantastic. spend the few extra bucks and keep it local.
That's the route I'm going. Found a few local shops that I will be calling during the week.
Old 03-10-2013, 11:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

or do it your darn self.
I bought 3 sets of headers for my 68 barracuda- all claimed they would fit, at most "minor" mods to gain clearance- well on 2.25 in primary 1 in of "clearance" isn't okay with me. I spent a total of 2100$. So what did I do? I went out and bought a TIG welder, taught myself how to TIG (good at MIG and stick) and built a badazz set of custom headers. Not the prettiest welds in the world, but they don't leak. and are solid.
learn, ask questions, but most importantly just try it.
Old 03-11-2013, 12:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 93h2beg
or do it your darn self.
I bought 3 sets of headers for my 68 barracuda- all claimed they would fit, at most "minor" mods to gain clearance- well on 2.25 in primary 1 in of "clearance" isn't okay with me. I spent a total of 2100$. So what did I do? I went out and bought a TIG welder, taught myself how to TIG (good at MIG and stick) and built a badazz set of custom headers. Not the prettiest welds in the world, but they don't leak. and are solid.
learn, ask questions, but most importantly just try it.
That's why you leave it to the pros and do research before spending thousands of dollars something. If I had all the time to teach myself how to tig weld I wouldn't be making a thread or asking questions.

I already found my sources which are highly recommended by the local guys. But thanks for your reply anyways.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:57 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hood exit or go home :p
Old 03-11-2013, 08:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 73 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by mouab18c1
That's why you leave it to the pros and do research before spending thousands of dollars something. If I had all the time to teach myself how to tig weld I wouldn't be making a thread or asking questions.

I already found my sources which are highly recommended by the local guys. But thanks for your reply anyways.
LOL , nah, I now get paid to do this stuff, so I am a pro. I taught myself how to do it. Now I charge others to do it. I always encourage people to get active in the sport. Anybody can spend money, but few can truly build a car from the ground up. In don't claim to know it all, nor will I ever. But I am not scared to tackle something new. I have made my 2100 back probably 5x's over now. So at the time it was an expensive set of headers, now... well, they were a great investment.

Good luck, post pics of the build, and don't be afraid to show what mistakes were made along the way- so we all have an opportunity to learn.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by wantboost
Hood exit or go home :p
Thought about it. But it'll have to wait until I get a better manifold lol
Old 03-11-2013, 08:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

LOL , nah, I now get paid to do this stuff, so I am a pro. I taught myself how to do it. Now I charge others to do it. I always encourage people to get active in the sport. Anybody can spend money, but few can truly build a car from the ground up. In don't claim to know it all, nor will I ever. But I am not scared to tackle something new. I have made my 2100 back probably 5x's over now. So at the time it was an expensive set of headers, now... well, they were a great investment.

Good luck, post pics of the build, and don't be afraid to show what mistakes were made along the way- so we all have an opportunity to learn.
I'm glad it worked out for you and thanks for the encouragement.
Old 03-11-2013, 08:34 AM

That's great. I honestly consider you a success story. But there are 3 limiting factors in ANY endeavor. Time, Money, Resources. Most will have 2 out of the 3 of these elements during the course of a build, regardless of make, model or type. For those that have many other obligations that do not allow for Time, or Resources, they need to have money to get to someone that has the other two elements; like perhaps yourself.

If MouaB18c1 had the resources (Miller equipment, gloves, helmet, wire, etc), Time (training, use of equipment, materials, etc) I'm sure he wouldn't have gotten the OBX in the first place. Thousands of dollars in training time, equipment setup, etc, just one silly downpipe is a lot of investment to fulfill these requirements.

Just because one doesn't put things together from "the ground up" doesn't make a person any less of an enthusiast than yourself. In fact, he's probably promoting the sport MORE because he's helping a local business pay of the expenses of their equipment and training for someone who has invested the time and resource to do it. this is why this "built, not bought" statement holds little weight with me. Not every CAN do everything, nor sometimes SHOULD they.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:28 AM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

"The Shodan" - May I add a 4th? Skill. You either have the ability to obtain it or you don't. Let's face it, not everyone was cut out to be good at everything. Although, take it from the source, being "Jack of All Trades" has many advantages. A true master of one typically fails at most others. I would rather fan my cards than pick one out of many.

OP - At least you understand what you are getting yourself into.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just went to a muffler shop
They charged me 30 dollars to make it and it's just a normal 2.5 inch with a 90 to a vband flange
Old 03-11-2013, 10:01 AM
Honda-Tech Member

That's great. I honestly consider you a success story. But there are 3 limiting factors in ANY endeavor. Time, Money, Resources. Most will have 2 out of the 3 of these elements during the course of a build, regardless of make, model or type. For those that have many other obligations that do not allow for Time, or Resources, they need to have money to get to someone that has the other two elements; like perhaps yourself.

If MouaB18c1 had the resources (Miller equipment, gloves, helmet, wire, etc), Time (training, use of equipment, materials, etc) I'm sure he wouldn't have gotten the OBX in the first place. Thousands of dollars in training time, equipment setup, etc, just one silly downpipe is a lot of investment to fulfill these requirements.

Just because one doesn't put things together from "the ground up" doesn't make a person any less of an enthusiast than yourself. In fact, he's probably promoting the sport MORE because he's helping a local business pay of the expenses of their equipment and training for someone who has invested the time and resource to do it. this is why this "built, not bought" statement holds little weight with me. Not every CAN do everything, nor sometimes SHOULD they.
Well said TheShodan!
Old 03-11-2013, 10:03 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d
"The Shodan" - May I add a 4th? Skill. You either have the ability to obtain it or you don't. Let's face it, not everyone was cut out to be good at everything. Although, take it from the source, being "Jack of All Trades" has many advantages. A true master of one typically fails at most others. I would rather fan my cards than pick one out of many.

Thanks for the support, this is my first turbo build so it's a new journey for me.
Old 03-11-2013, 10:26 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Most exhaust/muffler shops don't have mandrel bends... just crush bends and they are normally mild steel, aluminized or galvanized.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by N3va3vaSatisfi3d

I can co-sign on this.. (Can I now use that word? )
Old 03-11-2013, 02:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

We had a customer send us one of those a few months ago to have a downpipe made. If you need one, we can also do it, but need the manifold sent in for fitment.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Autoworks
We had a customer send us one of those a few months ago to have a downpipe made. If you need one, we can also do it, but need the manifold sent in for fitment.
Thanks for the offer, but I'm going to take TheShodan's advice and support local business. Plus I don't like to deal with shipping heavy equipment.
Old 03-11-2013, 04:42 PM
DO IT ON ALL FOURS

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I can co-sign on this.. (Can I now use that word? )
Yes you may.

Quick Reply: Downpipe for OBX top mount manifold