Notices

Dont care about WHP or BHP, i want to hit 200lbs of torque.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dont care about WHP or BHP, i want to hit 200lbs of torque.

I have a b16b, i want to go turbo.
I am more than likly going to buy a rev hard or drag kit.
I will be boosting on stock internals, i will obviously run a better fuel system and thicker head gastet too etc so i can lower the high type r compression.

Just wondering what kind of psi would i have to run with a stage 2 kit to hit 200lbs of torque?

I have searched for other B16b builds but nothing comes up. Obviously people have done it, i just cant find them. I even looked in the b16a turbo setups and couldnt find anything.

HELP APPRECIATED PLEASE!
Old 01-03-2007, 04:40 AM

Default Re: Dont care about WHP or BHP, i want to hit 200lbs of torque. (J1A1H)

depends on a lot. i would say somewhere between 10-14lbs
Old 01-03-2007, 04:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dont care about WHP or BHP, i want to hit 200lbs of torque. (BlueSi2k)

10-15lbs on an R with stock internals = really dumb idea
Old 01-03-2007, 05:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Dont care about WHP or BHP, i want to hit 200lbs of torque. (MiraiZ)

a smaller exhaust housing on a turbo will net you more lower/midrange torque. Smaller diameter piping will help also, but eventually there will be marginal gains cause you'll start to lose power in the upper rpm range.

I switched from log mani, 2.5 DP and .63A/R housing to ramhorn mani, 3"DP and .48A/R turbo exhaust housing and gained over 100lbs of torque.
Old 01-03-2007, 07:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dont care about WHP or BHP, i want to hit 200lbs of torque. (MiraiZ)

10 lbs can be dune..

Old 01-03-2007, 07:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dont care about WHP or BHP, i want to hit 200lbs of torque. (atec)

Why does everyone talk "LBS" and "PSI" so much when relating to power and torque numbers? It's probably the stupidest thing you can do (to generalize assumptions based on psi).

Every engine and turbo size is different. A turbocharged BMW M3 (E46) can make over 600whp at 11psi on a T61. 11 psi on a T25 on a D15 will yield about 150whp.

Old 01-03-2007, 08:08 AM

Default Re: Dont care about WHP or BHP, i want to hit 200lbs of torque. (HybridKOOP)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by HybridKOOP &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why does everyone talk "LBS" and "PSI" so much when relating to power and torque numbers? It's probably the stupidest thing you can do (to generalize assumptions based on psi).

Every engine and turbo size is different. A turbocharged BMW M3 (E46) can make over 600whp at 11psi on a T61. 11 psi on a T25 on a D15 will yield about 150whp.</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea and he specified the engine and turbo (drag/revhard)...so its possible to estimate the boost pressure required.
Old 01-03-2007, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dont care about WHP or BHP, i want to hit 200lbs of torque. (BlueSi2k)

Engine yes, but he didn't mention the turbo. That kit could use anything from a tiny T04B, all the way up to a pretty large T3/T67 or SC61.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: Dont care about WHP or BHP, i want to hit 200lbs of torque. (HybridKOOP)

In a way, he did specify the turbo. Drag kits are commonly t3/t04b, revhards are t3/t04e's. Either way, thats 37lbs/min to 50lbs/min (s/v-trim to 50/57 trim). As mentioned, 12+psi on these turbos could get you 200lb/ft, but its still a 1.6L. Your best option would definately be to sell the B16B for a stock B18C1 + extra turbo parts. If whp isn't your goal, a stock b20z would be perfect, along with 12-15psi. Its far easier to make more torque with more displacement, and it will have less issues with detonation as those two motors have 1-2 points less compression.

In short, shooting for torque on a smaller displacement motor designed for revving is like trying to fly with a boat. You can do it, but it usually involves a ramp or waterfall, and sinks shortly after...
Old 01-03-2007, 01:31 PM

Default Re: Dont care about WHP or BHP, i want to hit 200lbs of torque. (HiProfile)

b16B?

i would sell that motor, purchase a good condition LS longblock, use the left over cash for the turbo setup.

Most of our LS motors make around 180/180 around 7psi on a t3/t4 50trim. so 10psi should get you near 200TQ with that kind of turbo. might be aliitle laggy on a stock motor. I prefer Straight T3s on stock motors for spooling.

Ive done about 6 built motors (rods an pistons) with stock heads. with Our manifold, T3/T4 50trim 330-350whp/320-330TQ at 15psi.

B16B is 10.8:1 compression, i wouldnt reccomend 10psi on that kind of motor without headstuds. thats pretty high for a cast piston.

Old 01-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Dont care about WHP or BHP, i want to hit 200lbs of torque. (VtecKiDD)

Old 01-03-2007, 02:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dont care about WHP or BHP, i want to hit 200lbs of torque. (Bailhatch)

you cannot own a 1.6 motor that revs to 9k turbo, and not worry about WHP.

U say u want 200ft lbs but going for just that might not yeild a good setup.

The motor revs, so let the turbo rev with it, and if u hit 200ftlbs than ur good.

Im just saying, u dont want to have a motor that wants 9k and a turbo that doesnt, its not fun, even with 200ftlbs.
Old 01-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dont care about WHP or BHP, i want to hit 200lbs of torque. (93supercoupe)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93supercoupe &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">you cannot own a 1.6 motor that revs to 9k turbo, and not worry about WHP.

U say u want 200ft lbs but going for just that might not yeild a good setup.

The motor revs, so let the turbo rev with it, and if u hit 200ftlbs than ur good.

Im just saying, u dont want to have a motor that wants 9k and a turbo that doesnt, its not fun, even with 200ftlbs.</TD></TR></TABLE>

^thats what i was trying to say...imagine making 200ft lbs at 5000rpm and then having it fall to redline, that would suck to drive. peak tq on a honda is such an arbitrary yard stick. If you hold that 200ft lbs to redline though, you will have well over 300whp. I think the OP just wanted to sound like he knew what he was talking about or maybe he was brain washed by some stupid old domestic guy who often have..um...imaginative ideas about the relationship between Hp and Tq.
Old 01-03-2007, 03:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dont care about WHP or BHP, i want to hit 200lbs of torque. (Bailhatch)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Bailhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">^thats what i was trying to say...imagine making 200ft lbs at 5000rpm and then having it fall to redline, that would suck to drive. peak tq on a honda is such an arbitrary yard stick. If you hold that 200ft lbs to redline though, you will have well over 300whp. I think the OP just wanted to sound like he knew what he was talking about or maybe he was brain washed by some stupid old domestic guy who often have..um...imaginative ideas about the relationship between Hp and Tq.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Amen to u brotha.

Happy new year
Old 01-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dont care about WHP or BHP, i want to hit 200lbs of torque. (J1A1H)

get some pistons, oem or aftermarket.
those pistons don't like detonation under boost

get a properly sized turbo and concentrate on your wastegate placement!!!

there are some guys on this forum with too small of a turbo (HT-standards) that don't die uptop. how do they do it, ask them.

this way, after a lot of research you can have a responsive, high reving and torqy engine, no beast but fun
Old 01-03-2007, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i know i am not going to have some CRAZY POWERED car. I obviously want the car to rev, I love my B16b, I know it doesnt have any torque, But thats why w=i want to go turbo. Selling this engine Is NOT AN OPTON. I know people have built type r motors, i am very curios to what they are runnning, but i havent been able to find anything using the search.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (J1A1H)

if you want tq. for daily, turbo might not be the best answer. it sounds like you might enjoy it more if you stroke and bore the motor for the tq you will use on day to day basis.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:54 PM

Default Re: (wenlyone)

find me a set of aftermarket B16B Rods. id be curious to see some, dont recall ever seeing a set.

That is the "special length" rod that honda made, along with a one of a kind crank, more rare than the ITR rank and rods obviously.

sounds like your wanting to be different, and being different costs money.

fact of that matter is the B16B aka CTR motor is the WORST motor to boost PERIOD. if you want TQ, sell it an buy an LS or GSR motor.

boosting a CTR motor is retarded IMO. that motor was designed to be on a road course , high revving all motor. not with a turbo .

THose pistons WILL explode with any hint of detonation.

THe answer is, you can make 200TQ EASILY, its not hard at all. but with the motor you have, its counter productive to the ultimate end goal.

Old 01-04-2007, 12:45 AM

Default Re: (VtecKiDD)

B16B blocks are basically destroked B18C blocks. if he ever builds it just do a GSR or ITR crank and GSR spec aftermarket rods. can't do that to a B16A. all of these engines we boost wheren't designed for it. if you want to use the B16B, go for it I wouldn't be so worried about #'s though. use good parts and make sure you get a good tune from a reputable tuner, it'll be A LOT faster than it is now that's for sure. no matter what your power goal is now, you will one day get used to it and want more. for your motor, just keep the boost fairly low (sub 10psi) and make sure your tune is good and be happy with whatever you get. no boosted stock honda engine is going to last forever.....
Old 01-04-2007, 09:20 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J1A1H &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Selling this engine Is NOT AN OPTON. </TD></TR></TABLE>
why?
Old 01-04-2007, 05:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i just put the engine in. It only has 30,000 miles.
I know a lot about turbos, ive done so much reading. Ive dealt with them aswell etc... But what i have realised from my b17b is that first and second gears are crazy. But third gear is ****! I want the car to keep on pulling as if its still in second gear. Forget torque now. I want the torque when in vtec, dont care about torque below vtec.
I was thinking about the getting an itr crank and putting some low comp pistons in, but i wont do that just yet.
I only want to push a safe amount of psi from one of these kits. Will it give me the acceleration i want?
Old 01-04-2007, 05:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

dude, any amount of boost on the motor is gonna go better than it does now.

ITR crank and some pistons and rods and that thing is ready for an easy 400@9k
Old 01-04-2007, 05:35 PM
been there done that

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J1A1H &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i just put the engine in. It only has 30,000 miles.
I know a lot about turbos, ive done so much reading. Ive dealt with them aswell etc... But what i have realised from my b17b is that first and second gears are crazy. But third gear is ****! I want the car to keep on pulling as if its still in second gear. Forget torque now. I want the torque when in vtec, dont care about torque below vtec.
I was thinking about the getting an itr crank and putting some low comp pistons in, but i wont do that just yet.
I only want to push a safe amount of psi from one of these kits. Will it give me the acceleration i want?</TD></TR></TABLE>

if you want acceleration consider going to a shorter 3-4-5 gearset and higher FD. talk to clean rice. he has this with his b16b and has nothing but praise for it.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The gear ratios are already short. And also i do a a bit of motorway driving, so i want to keep these gears.

Ok, basically, i want to keep my as mielage for daily driving. Unlike others, i DONT want full boost as early as 4500 or 5500. I would prefer it to be a bit more laggy and come in when vtec comes in. So instead of it coming in smoothly i would like a crazy boost in power as vtec comes in. Would i benefit from a larger turbo to get the lag and the extra umph when vtec kicks in?

I know its not what people usually want. But this way i can keep my gas mielage and when i push my car it will fookin go!
What size turbo can you reccomend with what trim? I want ths to hold boost all the way to 8700rpm! thats very important! FORGET ALL THE TORQUE CRAP FOR NOW.

Thanks
Old 01-05-2007, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by J1A1H &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i know i am not going to have some CRAZY POWERED car. I obviously want the car to rev, I love my B16b, I know it doesnt have any torque, But thats why w=i want to go turbo. Selling this engine Is NOT AN OPTON. I know people have built type r motors, i am very curios to what they are runnning, but i havent been able to find anything using the search.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Its lack of stroke is ALWAYS going to make it an underdog in terms of torque production. There is no way around this, FI or not.

Quick Reply: Dont care about WHP or BHP, i want to hit 200lbs of torque.