Notices

Doing an h23 stock block turbo. Was going with a 14B because of inexpensiveness but...

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2008, 09:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Doing an h23 stock block turbo. Was going with a 14B because of inexpensiveness but...

Looking for the best choice in a fast spooling low boost application turbo for my H23. I've thought (and been advised) of using a T3 Super 60 Trim turbo (.63 AR). Is that a good choice over the 14B or no? Also, can all turbo's be water cooled or oil cooled? Or are they usually specific to design? Reason I ask is I'd like to know overall what is better as far as durability/longevity is concerned as well as installation ease.

I'm shooting for 250 hp at around 6-8 PSI (hopefully). Would like the power in the lower power band, but would like the turbo to push strong upwards of 6000 or perhaps higher.

Setup includes 450cc RC injectors (perhaps smaller being that my duty cycle in crome doesn't pass 70% at 8 PSI.) I already had 450's so will likely go with them.
-Tuned off crome needless to say lol
-2.5" exhaust piping (already did collector mod with upgraded 2.5 so am going with that period)
-magnaflow cat
-vibrant axle over muffler (canister type)
-stock block/head
-colder plugs (havn't picked a set as of yet (not too important as of right now)
-FMIC of course (generic)
-generic bov and wastegate (not too important as of right now either as far as brand name is concerned)

Most of this is irrelevent probably any way but if any more information is needed please ask.

Thanks for any advice you may provide. Also, if anybody has a particular turbo used or new that fits my application I would consider buying it through paypal if the price is below 200. The turbo I have in mind is under 300 shipped (T3 Super 60) New, so unless its alot cheaper, thats likely the one I'm going with if it fits my application as I stated.

I would ask the manufacturer, but I trust H-T more than anybody else as the information here has usually standed up well on its own!!

All parts are purchased soo far even the 14B is sitting here, but I've heard that the 14B will be underpowered a bit (it will spool quickly enough) in the upper RPM ranges. I'm willing to adjust things a touch though so like I said, any advise is appreciated!

Old 09-10-2008, 09:19 PM

In any case, don't use the 14B. I've had it on my F20Z1, and it spools very early but after 4500-5000 there is absolutely no power..
Old 09-11-2008, 03:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (RubenPrelude)

anybody have any suggestions of what turbo setup I should use? I've decided to sell my 14B as of now being that I have overwhelming information saying it will die off early in the RPM band. I would like it to carry to 6000 hopefully.

Any input would be greatly appreciated! thanks again
Old 09-29-2008, 05:39 AM

Yeah you could try the 16g thats what I am going to be running on my h23 if all goes well
Old 09-29-2008, 07:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (VootVo0t)

Anything smaller than a Super60 T3 on the H23 is a waste. With a small turbo on this block you'll get quick spool, but no power up top. This setup will feel and act retarted.