Notices

does a drag III turbo for civic 98 ex coupe need any welding to put onto the car?

Old 01-29-2002, 09:40 PM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does a drag III turbo for civic 98 ex coupe need any welding to put onto the car?

does the drag III need welding compared to the greddy 92-95 w/ intercooler to place on a honda civic ex coupe 1998? is the drag kit a bolt on? is it a more complete kit for the money? cuz i found the greddy one new being sold for $1450 shipped without intercooler though. while drag kits are $3000 shipped. which is double, and i only can see that the drag is a bigger turbo and with intercooler, other than that, nothing else. someone clarify. THANKS!
Old 01-29-2002, 09:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does a drag III turbo for civic 98 ex coupe need any welding to put onto the car? (hobo79)

Drag has external wastegate, Bov, a HUGE turbo by comparison, big IC, is much more upgradable, and produces tons more power.

You'll have to get the downpipe welded up to the rest of your exhaust on the DRAG kit. But it is definately worth it.

Dustin
Old 01-29-2002, 09:46 PM
New User

Default Re: does a drag III turbo for civic 98 ex coupe need any welding to put onto the car? (dustin)

other than the downpipe, is that all that will be needed to weld onto? is it a basic bolt on install? i wont need any other type of piping or anything of that sort? is drag III turbo kit at 7psi stock? how much will this bump my car's power to? how long does it take for this to spool up at around? x000-x000RPM?
Old 01-29-2002, 09:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does a drag III turbo for civic 98 ex coupe need any welding to put onto the car? (hobo79)

No other welding is required.

It's bolt on... but you'll want to get yourself a nice braided stainless oil return line & earls fittings. You'll also want to get a good amount of 4mm and 6mm vacuum hose.

The pressure level depends on the spring in your wastegate. Ben's deal includes a boost controller so you can set it at any level the same or above the wastegate spring (usually like 5-7psi).

Power at the wheels depends on boost level. At 7psi you'll probably see 180+ hp at the wheels.

Full boost before 4000rpm.

Dustin
Old 01-29-2002, 09:57 PM
New User

Default Re: does a drag III turbo for civic 98 ex coupe need any welding to put onto the car? (dustin)

so then with the instructions, i should be able to put this kit on myself and only have to get welding done on the downpipe leading to the exhaust? how much is this going to run me shipped?
Old 01-29-2002, 10:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Look at ben's thread... It's one of the top 3 in this forum.

Ben has some instructions online... but you're probably better off just using my pictures: http://imglib.************/index.cgi?cmd=viewcat&id=1

Dustin
Old 01-29-2002, 10:12 PM
New User

do these come with the boost controller guages, etc?......or is this separate? if i goof up and cant get the install done, how much would it be for a professional to install it?
Old 01-29-2002, 10:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Look at the thread.

Turbo installs usually run about $600-$700. But in my experience... lots of shops are good at screwing up turbo installs.

Dustin
Old 01-30-2002, 01:10 AM

The DRAG 3 kit for Civics are the easiest to install...no block notching. no fan cutting, and lotsa room to work with. I'd recommend installing it youself cuz no mechanic will ever care about your car more than you. Besides it's a good learning experience and if anything needs attention later you will know since you installed it yourself. As long as the fuel system and wastegate are hooked up correctly, you should be fine.
Old 01-30-2002, 04:41 AM

Default Re: does a drag III turbo for civic 98 ex coupe need any welding to put onto the car? (turbopimp)

What other mods have you done to your car, by yourself? The reason I ask is, if you can bolt up an exhaust, install a CAI, or any of those basic mods you can install a turbo kit. I would suggest you do research on installs and what the specific function is of each item in the kit. Also remember that the Drag kit does not come wth any kind of installation manual, the most comprehensive one you can find is the one on http://www.importparts.com and that one wll not tell you everything. Just to get a mental picture of things in your head, I would also suggest that you read this installation manual and get a good mental idea of where things are going before you install. That way you already know where these items go and how the wll fit in relation to everything else.

As far as welding, you will need to get the downpipe welded onto your cat and possibly weld the oil return flange onto your oil pan whch will need to be done with a TIG welder since it is aluminum. Of course, if you use the SS braided oil return line and Earls fittings you won't need to worry about welding that.

I did mine 3 weekends ago and had relatively no problems except for installing the Tial WG ring upside down. Took me about 3 days for the entre install.