Notices

Does anyone have a ZC turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 08:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does anyone have a ZC turbo?

what did you have to do to your engine to make it boost safe and how much did it cost you? i want my car to be turbo but i dont know if i really need to beef it up first! what do you guys think thanks alot!
Old 03-07-2002, 08:41 PM

Default Re: Does anyone have a ZC turbo? (-=TWITCH=-)

someone has to i have tons of questions to ask i mean tons please
Old 03-08-2002, 02:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

it really depends on how much boost you want to run...
so whats the plan on psi? we would be allot more able to help you with that info
Old 03-08-2002, 05:45 AM

Default Re: Does anyone have a ZC turbo? (rjardy)

i really dont want to run high boost becasue i dont want to have to mess with beefing up my internals so i would just like to run 5-7 psi around that area! i know the greddy kit for the 92-94 civic works on the zc with a little mods done im researching that now!
Old 03-08-2002, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Im running turbo on a ZC very nice, yeah you have to do some mods to the charge pipes or place your battery in the trunk. What year and make of Honda are you running your ZC on? 5-7 psi your O.K. just dont go over 10 psi on ZC stock internals, that's what I have heard mostly, but dont quote me on this get a second opinion. If you have any questions drop e-mail or IM, their are many here that run turbo on their ZC's the other person I know that's knows quite a bit is "therealciviczc", he helped me out with some problems on mine. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2002, 07:12 AM

Default Re: Does anyone have a ZC turbo? (JohnysZC)

Thanks alot for the help man im saving up my money right now to get a greddy kit i cant wait! how much did it coast you total for you to turbo your ZC? thanks alot for your help man i know ill be asking alot of questions when i finally kit my kit
Old 03-08-2002, 07:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well the whole setup thats, Greddy Kit TD04h, custom exhaust, piping, new radiator, blow off valve (haven't installed it yet), vortech FMU 12:1, Tach w/shift light, A/F meter, boost gauge and turbo timer, all for $2,400 installed. The only thing I have to get now is an intercooler and a new in-tank fuel pump, then I'll stop for a while at least. You will love the turbo when you get trust me you won't be dissapointed.
Old 03-08-2002, 07:56 AM

Default Re: Does anyone have a ZC turbo? (JohnysZC)

this is what i have been checking out! but i dont know if i have to pull my zc to do this! here are some of the pictures i cant post them here because tripod dosnt allow it!
http://zcturbo.tripod.com/Images/10e80e00.jpg

http://zcturbo.tripod.com/Images/10a80e00.jpg

http://zcturbo.tripod.com/Images/10f80e00.jpg

[Modified by -=TWITCH=-, 8:59 AM 3/8/2002]
Old 03-08-2002, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the pics arent showing, repost? The only thing I did to my frame was remove the front motor mount and bend and rework the front cross member.
Old 03-08-2002, 08:28 AM

I am gearing up to do a homemade turbo on my ZC. You get a manifold from an EG CX civic, which looks exactly like the turbo manifold that you need, and then you can bolt on any old turbo. I am told that they T25 turbo off of 2gen eclipses works good for stock ZC's because they spool up fast and won't blow up your stock internals. I would definitely do an upgrade on your injectors and get a good air/fuel gauge to monitor your mixture. It is really easy to run lean w/a turbo. You can pick up all of the hoses and fittings that you need for cheap, and you get a fast car for $400-$600 depending on how much you spend on the hairdryer. Just be sure to know exactly what you're doing before you tear into it! I have heard from people who have done this mod that it goes fairly well and gives your car that vicious kind of acceleration that you are looking for! Just remember, you have wussy stock internals! Don't boost more than 6-8 psi! Here are a couple of sites to check out:
http://www.homemadeturbo.com http://www.turbocrx.net/ http://www.extrememotorsports.com/g1cat/afgauge.htm

These guys have a really good grip on the subject. I would educate myself fully before going this route!

Good luck and happy turboing!
Old 03-08-2002, 04:44 PM
New User

Default Re: Does anyone have a ZC turbo? (4gzchatch)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=140292

[Modified by 01geeser, 1:50 AM 3/9/2002]
Old 03-08-2002, 09:47 PM

Default Re: Does anyone have a ZC turbo? (01geeser)

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=140292

[Modified by 01geeser, 1:50 AM 3/9/2002]
i know about this **** that is the reason i did that oh well noone understood it
Old 03-09-2002, 11:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

look at my Sig, and click the link...
Old 03-09-2002, 01:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Does anyone have a ZC turbo? (Bryson)

I have a Greddy kit on my ZC. It runs pretty well. Everything is basically straight forward on the install. You need to notch the cross-member a little. You'll also need to buy an FMU or some stand alone fuel management because the Greddy kit no longer comes with the FMU (it has an FCU instead).

Moving the battery to the rear makes the entire thing a breeze as far as piping. I just used the pipes the way they came with the kit. I had to cut 2"s off of one, and add a 4" straight section in another spot. That was it.

It was worth the money IMO.
Old 03-09-2002, 10:52 PM

Default Re: Does anyone have a ZC turbo? (therealciviczc)

awesome if you dont mind could you please tell me what you paid for everything to get it running thanks alot i really want to do this and im saving every penny i can to get it dont thanks alot for your help! i really want to go with the greddy kit just because i can depend on it and i dont have to custom build anything, like welding brackets etc! so does the kits turbo mani. bolt right up to the ZC? what kinda boost are you running and how long have you had the turbo on the car? and another thing did it cause any problems? thanks alot for you help

what a fcu?

[Modified by -=TWITCH=-, 8:01 AM 3/10/2002]
Old 03-10-2002, 12:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The manifold bolted right up. I opened up the ports on it a little bit with dremel by laying the exhaust gasket on top of the manifold and coloring what material needed removed, then buzzing it away with a sanding wheel.

Everything else that was involved in the install was done with simple hand tools, except notching the cross member. You could do this with a hacksaw and some hard work, but I used the sawzall for mine. A cutoff tool or die grinder would probably be best, but if you don't have access to those, buy a bunch of hacksaw blades.

I'm only running the 5lbs right now. I put the kit on about 2 months ago, and the clutch started slipping. It's been too cold for me to get motivated to change the clutch, so I really haven't been driving the car much. I've probably put about 300 miles on it at the most. Other than the clutch slipping, it has run great. I haven't had any check engine lights or anything. I did have to replace the fuel pump as mine wouldn't keep up, but that was just a fluke. My pump happened to be beat. 99% of the people running the same setup as me don't have pump problems.

The entire thing was around $2000. I really don't remember everything, but here is a real general rundown of parts....

*Turbo Kit $1700 (you can find them cheaper, but I got mine when they were tough to find)
*FMU $140
*$5 straight piece of exhaust pipe (2" ID)
*Boost Gauge $40 (Must have... don't run without a gauge).
*A/F Guage $45 (An even more important thing to have. An exhaust temp gauge would do instead, but have on or the other).
*$145 $150 Battery relocation. This was more expensive than I thought, but DON'T get one of those crappy summit kits unless you have a sealed battery (optima type). Those cases aren't sealed, so the gas from the battery just goes in to your car.
*$25 miscellaneous (sp) fittings for oil feed and gauges.

I also had an extra $120 for a fuel pump.

The FCU that comes with the Greddy kit now is a little computer that modifies the fuel similar to how a zdyne box would, but not as well. It basically is a missing link (black box) that also adds fuel as the boost increases. It works on the 92-00 cars, but not ours.

Just make sure you don't cut corners by skipping gauges. You won't be able to tell if its running right. Mine ran strong, and I could hear nothing wrong under the hood, but my A/F gauge told me that a 5lbs and about 5000 rpm I was almost completely lean on the gauge. Without the gauge I'd be replacing the motor. Same with the boost gauge. The diaphram that is used on the waste gate probably costs about $2. Do you really want to count on it to protect your motor?

And get a good FMU. DON'T run without an FMU. Search for the post about the moron who basically bragged about doing it then posted that oil was coming out of his BOV about 2 days later. I'm sure you already know, but you can't add air without adding fuel.