Notices

does anyone drive a front passenger side exhaust on the street?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 01:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default does anyone drive a front passenger side exhaust on the street?

I'm really curious about attempting this at some point. I like the idea of reducing the amount of tubing/weight in the system, having a better flowing setup, etc. The only thing is, can you make it quiet, and will the exhaust be drawn into the car with the windows down?
Thanks for any knowledge/pics/inspiration..
Old 03-12-2007, 01:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does anyone drive a front passenger side exhaust on the street? (rorik)

aside from being ilegal in my state, there is just no way to fit any kind of silencer that would make any difference in noise. and i would imagine at lower speeds you would get some exh in throught the window.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does anyone drive a front passenger side exhaust on the street? (mitsuman)

Its illegal in most states. It's loud as ***. and you'll sufficate sitting at a light with the window down.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: does anyone drive a front passenger side exhaust on the street? (viet_boi_racin)

i have the steup on my car i use a kooks race muffler and a turn down and i was extremly impressed on how quiet it was ( i thought it would be alot louder ) as for exhaust through window that will happen but aye you wont need any air freshners just the smell of c116
Old 03-12-2007, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

lol, I've been waiting for a thread like this! I'll be running a 4" side exit but mine will be exiting the front bumper in front of the tire. Dual dumptubes will be exiting the other side, should be loud!!! FTW
Old 03-12-2007, 03:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does anyone drive a front passenger side exhaust on the street? (mitsuman)

thats why you have a muffler in the back so it looks like you have one
Old 03-12-2007, 03:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does anyone drive a front passenger side exhaust on the street? (HondaKyle)

my "04 street car"

i ran this on my street car for a little. it melted my si lip spoiler, and got my bumper alittle black, the fumes were tolerable with the window down. the noise was just insane... the car would light the **** out of the tires (drag radials+ spool) on 4th gear roll on's

Old 03-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does anyone drive a front passenger side exhaust on the street? (dturbocivic)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dturbocivic &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">i ran this on my street car for a little. it melted my si lip spoiler, and got my bumper alittle black, the fumes were tolerable with the window down. the noise was just insane... the car would light the **** out of the tires (drag radials+ spool) on 4th gear roll on's

</TD></TR></TABLE>

remind me to move to PA, in CA id be going to jail......
Old 03-12-2007, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ha youre going to smell like gas everywhere you go.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does anyone drive a front passenger side exhaust on the street? (Boostedb20EH2)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Boostedb20EH2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Ha youre going to smell like gas everywhere you go.</TD></TR></TABLE>

save money on cologne!
Old 03-12-2007, 04:53 PM

ive run open downpipes on every one of my street driven turbo cars. not exactly legal but its not too loud.. i did a few that exit the front bumper but my crx just points down to ground off turbo.. does smell like gas and junk though somettimes
Old 03-13-2007, 08:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for the replies.. If I can come up with a way to fit some kind of muffler and prevent the exhaust from entering the car, I'll do it..
They don't have any type of vehicle inspections where I am, so I figure as long as I keep it relatively incognito, I'll be fine with the piggies.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (rorik)

have advil with you....i had plenty of turbo cars with no exhaust and it gave me head aches all the time.....im building another turbo car right now and i am going to invest in a cat back....i hate having head aches....
Old 03-14-2007, 03:46 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rorik &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
They don't have any type of vehicle inspections where I am, so I figure as long as I keep it relatively incognito, I'll be fine with the piggies.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sounds like a line from fast and furious.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (JoePSI)

Just overnight yourself a kick in the nuts from Japan instead of doing this.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:02 AM

Default Re: (mike1114)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mike1114 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Just overnight yourself a kick in the nuts from Japan instead of doing this.</TD></TR></TABLE>

LoL...

I did this a couple of years ago, but i only ran it like this for about 2 weeks, its too loud for my taste.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there isn't has to be some way to prevent the exhaust from being drawn into the car.. Directing the exhaust away with aerodynamics at speed?

I don't know, I just can't imagine this being that bad. Imagine a stock civic with the exhaust ending out of the front wheel well, it wouldn't kill you with pollution..I'm talking about a car that would be running cleanly, although not with a cat. Can't plenty of hondas pass emissions without even having a cat?
Old 03-18-2007, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i used to dump mine right behind the engine bay and point it down..

i would never smell exhaust when i was moving..
Old 03-18-2007, 03:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does anyone drive a front passenger side exhaust on the street? (rorik)

It's really a matter of personal preference, but I would guess most people who do this sort of thing end up getting tired of it sooner or later. If it's going to be a street car, you really want it to be quiet, and not pollute your cabin with fumes. The weight saved most likely would not get you a tenth in the quarter mile, and if you design the exhaust properly (say a 3" mandrel for almost any street setup) then the power difference might not save you a tenth either. If you like the noise, and smell, you could always use a cutout.

My main point, from my personal experiences, is that in the end you're going to end up wanting all the comforts, streetability, etc. Having rock solid springs and deafening exhaust is tolerable for a weekend of racing, for example, but not all the time. Unless you're 16. Good luck
Old 03-18-2007, 03:53 PM

Default Re: does anyone drive a front passenger side exhaust on the street? (eastbay92cx)

I have a side exhaust. It is a BURNS stainless oval piping like they use in NASCAR and a titanium Burns muffler, sound like nothing I ever heard before .no raspyness or nothing
Old 03-18-2007, 03:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: does anyone drive a front passenger side exhaust on the street? (eastbay92cx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by eastbay92cx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

My main point, from my personal experiences, is that in the end you're going to end up wanting all the comforts, streetability, etc. Having rock solid springs and deafening exhaust is tolerable for a weekend of racing, for example, but not all the time. Unless you're 16. Good luck </TD></TR></TABLE>

i agree 100%.... the "cool" factor doesnt outweight the bs that comes along with the side exit.

i ended up putting a full exh on that car, along with the car i built after that one.
Old 03-18-2007, 03:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I would only be satisfied enough to keep it if it could end up refined. I look at it as an engineering challenge, and I want to do it now since I live in SD, with no emissions bs. (I'm from cali) I would use a muffler, it would be a clean running motor, and hopefully I could find some way of getting the majority of the exhaust away from the side of the car. The rest of my car is already so unrefined, the suspension is incredibly stiff, the exhaust is so loud, etc, etc, it can only get better from here..lol.. and it will. I'm all about refinement now, I'll never have another car without power everything and a/c..not to mention a quiet exhaust and smooth ride.
Old 03-18-2007, 04:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (JoePSI)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by JoePSI &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Sounds like a line from fast and furious.</TD></TR></TABLE>
ha ha.. I don't think they refer to the police as "piggies" though..
Old 03-18-2007, 05:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

i run open downpipe on the street. it dumps about a foot past the oil pan.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: (mike93eh2)

If you want to mix low sound with low weight and have a 'refined' setup, go with a 4" dp (if possible) and a 4" aluminum 'b-pipe' with an aluminum resonator, then a turn-down before the first 90* bend before the gas tank. I think the last big post on 4" aluminum exhaust showed a complete dp-back system w/burns muffler that weighed 12lbs. 12lbs saved on a 2000lb car is a 0.6% savings - completely compromising the streetability of a car for a fraction of a percent is completely pointless IMO. You don't legally need a dash or heater, but you do need an exhaust.

I could see saving a few pounds with side exhaust for a race car, but I think you'll find 5 pounds of aluminum is much more attractive than a **** load of noise, exhaust fumes, and police attention.

Quick Reply: does anyone drive a front passenger side exhaust on the street?