Notices

Do I really need new head studs and bearings, if I'm putting in pistons and rods?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2002, 02:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I really need new head studs and bearings, if I'm putting in pistons and rods?

I'm putting in some new JE pistons and Eagle Rods in my GSR, and the mechanic said that I have to get new head studs, rod bearings and crank bearings. Is that true? Do I really need all that stuff, or are they trying to rip me off?

Thanks
Old 05-12-2002, 02:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do I really need new head studs and bearings, if I'm putting in pistons and rods? (Sh4rky)

depends on the condition of your current ones....fi you arre going to do some crazy boost (over 15psi)...I think it would be a good idea to get the studs at least..
Old 05-12-2002, 03:00 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do I really need new head studs and bearings, if I'm putting in pistons and rods? (MiraiZ)

What about the bearings? Are those necessary? And how much are they approximately for 4 rods and a crank bearing? Is this somehting people generally get when they put pistons/rods in for turbo?
Old 05-12-2002, 04:35 AM

Default Re: Do I really need new head studs and bearings, if I'm putting in pistons and rods? (Sh4rky)

It is recommended to replace the bearings as well.
Old 05-12-2002, 06:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Be safe and replace your rod bearings. As far as the head studs, each time you remove a head bolt, the honda ones will stretch out due to being torqued down so tightly. it is recommended you replace them each time you remove your head. you can pull off using them again though i think. the good thing about ARP is that you can use them time after time after time. get some arp's especially if youll be running alot of boost, 15psi+.
Old 05-12-2002, 08:59 AM

How many miles are on your motor? Any good mechanic is going to replace your bearings and head studs because they are wear and tear parts that have to be in spec. No, he's not trying to rip you off.
Old 05-12-2002, 11:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do I really need new head studs and bearings, if I'm putting in pistons and rods? (Honda Hick)

How much will it cost for the bearings? Where can I get them? Do I need just the rod ones, or is the crank one necessary as well?

BTW, I have ~68,000 on my 96 GSR.
Old 05-12-2002, 03:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

up... (need to know the answer ASAP please)
Old 05-12-2002, 04:00 PM
sgT
Honda-Tech Member

Jsut replace em. and make sure you hone the block when you put in the new
pistons.
Old 05-12-2002, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do I really need new head studs and bearings, if I'm putting in pistons and rods? (sgT)

How much are the bearings? Where can I get em?
Old 05-12-2002, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

honda or acura
Old 05-12-2002, 07:53 PM
New User

i usually get my oem parts from http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com or in your case http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.net

try this :

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.net/...NKSHAFT-PISTON

bearings are $9 each, you'll need to know what color they are to get properly fitting ones, or all the codes from the crank and block.

Old 05-12-2002, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do I really need new head studs and bearings, if I'm putting in pistons and rods? (schwett)

i usually get my oem parts from http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com</a> or in your case <A HREF="http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.net" TARGET="_blank">http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.net

try this :

bearings are $9 each, you'll need to know what color they are to get properly fitting ones, or all the codes from the crank and block.

getting the codes off the crank and block is a fine starting point. but theres a wide range of clearances for whats considered "in spec". on a race motor there's specific clearances you want for different applications, and to do that you need a dial bore gauge/micrometer, or at the very least plastigage and lots of patience. if you can't do these things... i don't recommend you attempt to build your own race motor.
Old 05-12-2002, 08:03 PM
New User

Default Re: Do I really need new head studs and bearings, if I'm putting in pistons and rods? (SEFI8LOxCivic

hopefully his mechanic is worth his salt.

igetting the codes off the crank and block is a fine starting point. but theres a wide range of clearances for whats considered "in spec". on a race motor there's specific clearances you want for different applications, and to do that you need a dial bore gauge/micrometer, or at the very least plastigage and lots of patience. if you can't do these things... i don't recommend you attempt to build your own race motor.
Old 05-12-2002, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Do I really need new head studs and bearings, if I'm putting in pistons and rods? (SEFI8LOxCivic

Thanks a lot for your replies everyone!

Schwett, so I need 8 of the "BEARING G, CONN ROD" bearings for $8.14 and 5 of the "BEARING G, MAIN" #12 ($8.18) and #13 ($9.02) each? Coming down to $156.07
Am I correct? Please tell me because I have to order quickly.

Thanks guys!

[Modified by Sh4rky, 2:03 AM 5/13/2002]
Old 05-12-2002, 11:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

you need 10 mains which are 5 top and 5 bottom. 2 thrust washers. 8 connecting rod bearings.
Old 05-12-2002, 11:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Are the Thrust washers #3 in the picture?

Old 05-12-2002, 11:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

correct
Old 05-13-2002, 04:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OK, so everything comes up to $176 + $5 shipping. **** some money that I don't have...

Thanks for your help guys.

Just to double check, here's what I'm getting for my piston/rod replacement:
- JE 9.0:1 pistons, 81mm
- Eagle Rods
- Acura Head Gasket
- Acura Oil Pan Gasket
- Acura Rod and Crank Bearings
- ARP Head Studs

Am I missing anything? Do you think I'm going to need something else?

Thanks again!
Old 05-13-2002, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Can you guys help me find the Acura Oil Pan Gasket for the Acura Integra GS-R (b18c1) on the AcuraAutomotiveParts.net site? I want to order it with the bearing together to save on shipping?

Just to double check, here's what I'm getting for my piston/rod replacement:
- JE 9.0:1 pistons, 81mm
- Eagle Rods
- Acura Head Gasket
- Acura Oil Pan Gasket
- Acura Rod and Crank Bearings
- ARP Head Studs

Am I missing anything? Do you think I'm going to need something else?

Let me know thanks!
Old 05-13-2002, 07:47 AM
New User

#6:

http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.net/...IL+PAN+%282%29

but you really should take these guys advice and have the mechanic advise you on the bearings once everything is apart....
Old 05-13-2002, 09:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, schwett.

So you suggest me not to get the bearings until the engine is apart, and only then get the ones that are necessary instead of all of them?
Old 05-13-2002, 10:12 AM
New User

you should replace them all, but you won't know which size to get until the engine is apart. when you call to order bearings, they'll want to know which size you need. you can't know that without at the least looking at the codes on the crank and block and rods, or better yet, as suggested above, measuring with a micrometer.

Thanks, schwett.

So you suggest me not to get the bearings until the engine is apart, and only then get the ones that are necessary instead of all of them?