Notices

DIY Sleeves, where to buy?

Old 08-15-2006, 09:06 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY Sleeves, where to buy?

I have a B18B (1998)in need of sleeving and I also have a local machine shop that can do the work for me. I need to know some places where I can buy just the sleeve for my block. I have searched websites such as Golden Eagle, horsepowerfreaks, Darton products, and found prices around $700. Is this including the price of installation(which I do not need, just the part). Hopefully somebody can clear this up for me, and recommend a website where I can buy just the sleeve, and roughly how much they go for.

Thanks.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: DIY Sleeves, where to buy? (lsturbo*)

has this machine shop installed sleeves in a Honda block before? You might want someone who knows what they are doing do it. I would rather pay someone who does this every day than pay someone who hasn’t done this do it, mess them up and have to have them done again

Old 08-15-2006, 09:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY Sleeves, where to buy? (BoostedEG6)

Well, the shop is very well known, and put engine sleeves in all day everyday, but mostly for american engines(chevy bigblock, etc). However, it is a firend of mine that works there, and I have faith they can get it done...
Old 08-15-2006, 09:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

how much are they going to charge you to do it? I think I would rather have someone who does Honda blocks everyday do it rather than taking the chance of having a shop who doesn’t do them all the time. If they did mess something up then you would be out a block and sleeves and have to have another one done all over again. I would rather spend the $700 and have it done right the first time and not have to worry about the chance of something going wrong.

But its your money and you block so do with it how you want
Old 08-15-2006, 09:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY Sleeves, where to buy? (BoostedEG6)

if i knew the answer to ur question I would answer instead of trying to convince u otherwise.

I would imagine that thats the cost of them installed becuase when I was shopping they were about 900 installed.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:02 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if there's one thing i've learned since i turboed my car.....do things right the first time or you'll end up doing them over again anyway and it will probably cost more the second time around
Old 08-15-2006, 10:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Schister66)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Schister66 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">do things right the first time or you'll end up doing them over again anyway and it will probably cost more the second time around</TD></TR></TABLE>

its not that people are trying to "convince him to do otherwise", its just that some people know from experience and try to help people out with what they have learned from there mistakes
Old 08-15-2006, 12:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (BoostedEG6)

And there are a lot of machine shops that deal with American blocks all day long so they are like "sure, I can sleeve a honda block" Because they don't think it would be that different than any other block they have worked on. And it is.

Bottom line, if they guarantee they can do it, get it in writing so if/when it fails, THEY have to pay to fix it.

I don't know how long you've been in this game but people that have been around for a while will tell you to always take your car/motor/whatever to someone who knows what their doing.

Don't be the guineau pig for them to practice on!!!!
Old 08-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Does this machine shop have a cnc machine? Go to dartons website and download and print out the manual on how to install the MID sleeves. take that to your friend and see if he can do that. Chances are if they do not have a cnc machine they will not be able to hold those tight of tolerances. I took those directions to a bunch of local machine shops. The guys that know what they are doing looked at it and said no way we can't do that with our machines. The guys that didn't know that much claimed up and down it was simple and anyone could do it. Bottom line is don't get screwed. Do it right the first time. This coming from someone who already got screwed hard on a sleeved block.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lsturbo* &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Well, the shop is very well known, and put engine sleeves in all day everyday, but mostly for american engines(chevy bigblock, etc). However, it is a firend of mine that works there, and I have faith they can get it done...</TD></TR></TABLE>

Domestic's do not call for the tight clearances that import engines do. I had a local machine shop sleeving our blocks 2 yrs ago and they did 5 with no problem... then one engine they fucked up 2x and dropped 2 sets of sleeves.

Both engines sank sleeves 2 and 3 by .002" and they told me that a copper headgasket should seal it up both times and guaranteed that the work they did was fine. Once Darton inspected the engine they were able to see that the tolerances were extremely out of wack.

I learned my lesson. You get what you pay for. Drop us a PM if you need any help finding a set of sleeves or having your block sleeved.
Old 08-15-2006, 02:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DIY Sleeves, where to buy? (PrecisionH23a)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PrecisionH23a &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Domestic's do not call for the tight clearances that an import engines do.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Old 08-15-2006, 06:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

http://www.lasleeve.com/master.html
$399 for the sleeves.
Old 08-16-2006, 04:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Well it seems you guys have a good point about have my sleeves "professionally installed." But now that raises the question of who is best for that: Golden Eagle, Darton? I am in the process of getting quotes for the sleeve, and should I have them bore the final cylinder, or let my local shop do it(maybe cheaper?).
Old 08-16-2006, 04:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lsturbo*)

You don’t necessarily have to go through only Darton or Golden Eagle. There are other companies out there that are great also. Benson does excellent work, Import Builders has great prices, customer service and products. RLZ has great products along with a number of blocks putting out over 800whp and no problems. All the companies listed above are great and will help you out better than your local machine shop as far as installing sleeves. And there are more out there that also.

I would have one of the shops above sleeve the block, then you could have your local machine shop do all the finishing touches like bore/hone and what not.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Sounds good, I also noticed from reading the sleeve installation manual that they machine off a very thin layer from the top of the block for a clean surface. Will this little amount affect my compression ratio? I know this may be a question for the installer to answer. I have all intentions of running stock the compression ratio after the sleeves are put in, so will they leave extra material for the bore/hoan? I mean, after the bore and hoan, will I still be at my stock CR?