Notices

Discussion question: does NOS blow up motors.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2003, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discussion question: does NOS blow up motors.

I don't see NOS used that often, as I don't hang with the street-race/drag crowd. And I don't use it myself, becuase it doesn't fit my application, and I don't find it a technically elegant solution.

Does this stuff blow up peoples motors? Have you seen it happen? Is it common?

I'm curious, and I'd like to see some discussion.

-PHiZ
Old 08-08-2003, 12:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Discussion question: does NOS blow up motors. (PHiZ)

detonation blows up motors, improper fuel and timing
Old 08-08-2003, 02:02 AM

nawws is weaksauce. I have seen a trend in nawws blowing motors. I have seen about three perfectly tuned cars running nawwws blow up.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PHiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don't see NOS used that often, as I don't hang with the street-race/drag crowd. And I don't use it myself, becuase it doesn't fit my application, and I don't find it a technically elegant solution.

Does this stuff blow up peoples motors? Have you seen it happen? Is it common?

I'm curious, and I'd like to see some discussion.

-PHiZ</TD></TR></TABLE>

FYI, NOS is a company that makes NITROUS OXIDE kits.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:44 AM

Nitrous don't blow up motors, people do.
Old 08-08-2003, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the retard behind the button blows the motor
Old 08-08-2003, 07:23 AM

Default Re: Discussion question: does NOS blow up motors. (itr206)

people tend to blame blown up motors because of nos. you've got to do a little research into it before buying it. you've got to consider what condition your motor is in. if your motor burns oil and has 120,000 miles on it and then you want to put a 75 shot on it. it's crazy, you could possibly cause some damage to your motor.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (nigel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nigel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nawws is weaksauce. I have seen a trend in nawws blowing motors. I have seen about three perfectly tuned cars running nawwws blow up. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Bullshit, you're an idiot
Old 08-08-2003, 09:25 AM

Default Re: (mskibbz-T)

Take your car to the tuning shop get intake,exhaust and header. Then get it tuned right then last but not least learn how to drive and get a fuel pressure regulator, change your fuel pump . Get it tuned for your application and youll be set. DOnt halfass and try to do it yourself unless you know what your doing.
Old 08-08-2003, 09:26 AM
New User

Default Re: Discussion question: does NOS blow up motors. (g2turbo)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by g2turbo &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">detonation blows up motors, improper fuel and timing</TD></TR></TABLE>

preignition blows up motors... detonation and an overly lean mixture can cause preignition
Old 08-08-2003, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Discussion question: does NOS blow up motors. (psileepR)

peolpe who think nos is the proper name for nitrous oxide blow motors with preignition and detonation.

nos is mearly a brand of nitrous oxide injection products who payed alot of money in movies for advertising... and in such, mislead the masses.

EDIT: I liked the "technically elegant part"... very insightful.
Old 08-08-2003, 01:42 PM

Default Re: Discussion question: does NOS blow up motors. (twkdCD595)

yeah, and kleenex is not the proper name for facial tissue, and q-tips are not the proper name for cotton swabs... And none of these comments have any bearing on my intent for this thred.

Moving beyond the pedantic brand-name bullshit, Let's assume someone slaps in the NOS or ZEX kits, or whatever, with built in ignition retard. I'm guessing these maybe do long term damage to ... maybe the rings?

I'd like to hear more on that topic.

What does XX shot mean? is it like parts per million, time of the burst, some arbitrary scale?

And can a mild turbo car, like mine SOHC 8-10 lbs ~180-200 whp, hang with a similar SOHC with a middle-range shot of juice...

-PHiZ

This is just a discussion thread, feel free to add anything you might think related/interesting...
Old 08-08-2003, 01:59 PM

Too much fuel + nitrous = blown motor
Too little fuel + nitrous = blown motor
Wrong fuel grade + nitrous = blown motor
Wrong ignition timing + nitrous = blown motor

Additionally certain types of pistons (usually aftermarket) don't work well with nitrous. Check application before buying.

Also, the tolerance your engine has for mis-tuning fuel or ignition increases as your shot or squeeze increases (Amount of nitrous used)

A shot of nitrous is measured by it's horsepower increase, and is determined by the size of the nitrous jet (or nozzle) used.

Lastly if you use too big a shot of nitrous, you will blow the motor even if you have everything perfectly tuned. Typical rule is not to exceed a 75 shot on a stock motor.
Old 08-08-2003, 03:36 PM
I am a bad person

Default Re: (nigel)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nigel &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">nawws is weaksauce. I have seen a trend in nawws blowing motors. I have seen about three perfectly tuned cars running nawwws blow up. </TD></TR></TABLE>

bullshit!! people blow up motors nitorus doesnt. we have a 100% bone stock nissan sentra ser running a 100=shot and 15psi runnign 11.4. the motor has been sprayed for 3 yrs and 150+ bottles easily. we tune our nitrous cars on the dyno and yes if the motor is weak it will blow. when you add 100+hp to a motor that comes with 100 hp to start yes there is a chance it will blow but its the user that blows it up not NAWSSSS
Old 08-08-2003, 07:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (MotorMatrix.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MotorMatrix.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">bullshit!! people blow up motors nitorus doesnt. we have a 100% bone stock nissan sentra ser running a 100=shot and 15psi runnign 11.4. the motor has been sprayed for 3 yrs and 150+ bottles easily. we tune our nitrous cars on the dyno and yes if the motor is weak it will blow. when you add 100+hp to a motor that comes with 100 hp to start yes there is a chance it will blow but its the user that blows it up not NAWSSSS</TD></TR></TABLE>

Exactly, I couldn't have said it better... I ran a 65 shot on my engine for a year, and I sprayed for extended periods in high gears, now I have turboed that same engine and have been boosting it for over 7 months of hard *** daily driving. I have 0 problems, why? Because my **** was tuned!!! N20 needs to be treated as forced induction, not some magic gas that generates power by some unknown force, so learn about forced induction and nitrous and build a proper system and you will have no problems. It's not nitrous that blows engines, its morons that blow engines. C'mon, you are just adding more oxygen whether its boosted, blown, or on the bottle... compensate for it properly!!!
Old 08-08-2003, 07:30 PM
New User

Default Re: Discussion question: does NOS blow up motors. (hondapwr)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by hondapwr &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">1. Too much fuel + nitrous = blown motor

2. Additionally certain types of pistons (usually aftermarket) don't work well with nitrous. Check application before buying.

3. Also, the tolerance your engine has for mis-tuning fuel or ignition increases as your shot or squeeze increases (Amount of nitrous used)

4. A shot of nitrous is measured by it's horsepower increase, and is determined by the size of the nitrous jet (or nozzle) used.

5. Lastly if you use too big a shot of nitrous, you will blow the motor even if you have everything perfectly tuned.
6. Typical rule is not to exceed a 75 shot on a stock motor.</TD></TR></TABLE>
1. Actually the motor would just bog and die.
2. Cast OEM pistons are not more resistant to detonation and cylinder pressure then aftermarket forged pistons. If youa re going to go with mildly high compression(ie. ~11:1 - 12:1) then you are going to want aftermarket forged pistons. This is because you will need stronger ringlands and a stronger material to withstand the occasional predetonation.
3. Actually it's the opposite.
4. Jets and nozzles are two different things.
5. yep, pretty much.
6. That depends on the motor. H22s take a 100 shot just fine.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:04 PM

Default Re: Discussion question: does NOS blow up motors. (laughinxxx)

kinda like saying -- Guns kill people
Old 08-08-2003, 08:12 PM
New User

Default Re: Discussion question: does NOS blow up motors. (st00pid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by st00pid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">kinda like saying -- Guns kill people</TD></TR></TABLE>
I thought that saying was outlawed in TX.
Old 08-08-2003, 08:27 PM

Default Re: Discussion question: does NOS blow up motors. (st00pid)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by st00pid &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">kinda like saying -- Guns kill people</TD></TR></TABLE>

or school busses run over pedestrians...not the disgruntled hag behind the wheel
Old 08-08-2003, 09:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

nitrous doesnt blow motors stupid drivers blow motors
Old 08-08-2003, 10:18 PM
saso

Default Re: Discussion question: does NOS blow up motors. (bretx0r)

Nitrous dosen't blow motors but it's a loaded gun with a hair pin trigger thats been cocked. I have sprayed my street car for over 2 years and no probs. But i'll be honest im afraid to use it on my race car. When a motor costs you above $10k you try to keep things as safe as possible.
Old 08-09-2003, 06:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by PHiZ &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">yeah, and kleenex is not the proper name for facial tissue, and q-tips are not the proper name for cotton swabs... And none of these comments have any bearing on my intent for this thred.

</TD></TR></TABLE>

You a marketing major/have graduated with a marketing major by chance?
Anyway, i totally think the Company "NOS" wanted the people in TFATF to call it that. More brand recognition, EXACTLY like the whole kleenex deal you pointed out. If they didn't want people in the movies calling it "naawwws" they sure as hell wouldn't have let them. Its all about marketing people.
Sure it sounds dumb, and maybe is dumb in my and many others eyes, but it comes down to more $$$$$ for them, supposedely.
Anyway, back to the subject
Old 08-09-2003, 06:27 AM

Default Re: Discussion question: does NOS blow up motors. (saso)

S T U P I D people who have no idea about stuff and just throw FI on there cars blow motors.......ha ha ha
Old 08-10-2003, 04:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Discussion question: does NOS blow up motors. (RexSiT3)

back to the topic... does nos blow up motors.

user error, preiginition, and then detonation seem to be the major causes in combination with the minimal amount of user error allowed by the nitrous. (capt. obvious here so I thought it went without saying).
Old 08-10-2003, 05:34 PM
I live under a rock

Default Re: (MotorMatrix.com)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by MotorMatrix.com &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

bullshit!! people blow up motors nitorus doesnt. we have a 100% bone stock nissan sentra ser running a 100=shot and 15psi runnign 11.4. the motor has been sprayed for 3 yrs and 150+ bottles easily. we tune our nitrous cars on the dyno and yes if the motor is weak it will blow. when you add 100+hp to a motor that comes with 100 hp to start yes there is a chance it will blow but its the user that blows it up not NAWSSSS</TD></TR></TABLE>

calm down mike......he's just a dumb litle ricer....... he said naws for christ sake...... if someone says that one more time........m gonna lose it.........

o yeah.....i'll send you the money for the parts tommorrow

Quick Reply: Discussion question: does NOS blow up motors.