Notices

Discussion: Let's talk about optimal oil pressure and oil temps for the turbocharged

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discussion: Let's talk about optimal oil pressure and oil temps for the turbocharged

Hey guys. I'm wondering what normal oil pressure and maximum oil temperature is. 10w30 synthetic oil is what I typically run.

As for pressure:
I am seeing 80 psi on cold start, the car started to warm up and it dropped to about 60 so I shut the car off. No oil leaks and no oil loss. I am assuming this is normal but wonder what minimum pressure would be to the turbo?

Quick note, I am using a sandwich plate to feed the turbo, this is also where the pressure sensor is located.

As for temperature:
I have my sensor in the oil pan which would typically be the coldest oil you have. Considering this what temperature should I stay within?

Thanks for the help,
Jason
A brief build ddescription:
H22a del sol
id1000cc
Aeromotive fuel pump
Pt 6262 ball bearing
Fully built and sleeved brand new engine
Turbo works scavenge pump
Hondata s300
Moroso oilpan
No oil restrictor

Last edited by Havoc460; 10-13-2016 at 01:07 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 10-13-2016, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Discussion: Let's talk about optimal oil pressure and oil temps for the turbocharged

Oil weight/grade would help regarding pressure. Rule of thumb: 10 PSI per 1,000 RPM. Yours seems pretty high once warmed up.

Is your 6262 a journal or ball bearing? Running a restrictor? If not, 60 PSI will destroy some PTE seals even faster than normal.

A MAXIMUM temp for some would be 270F at the turbo. I don't know what PTE limits at, but I'm guessing on the higher side for the usage of a lot of their products. I'd research OE oil temps for factory boosted engines like a VW/Audi 1.8T and see what they range, as most of those sensors are in the pan as well. This temperature shouldn't be an operating temp, but moreso a limit.

Last edited by bergercurtis; 10-14-2016 at 07:11 AM.
Old 10-13-2016, 12:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default re: Discussion: Let's talk about optimal oil pressure and oil temps for the turbocharged

Sorry, I updated the post. I typically run 10w30 full synthetic . The turbo is ball bearing. There is no oil restrictor on the turbo, nor do I plan on running one as per Percisions recommenations. I know alot of people feel you do need one, but I think I'll learn the hard way and follow Percision for now.
Old 10-13-2016, 01:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What would you say a minimum oil pressure would be that I should look out for? I'd like to think as little as 20 psi to the turbo should be sufficient
Old 10-13-2016, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I also get 80 PSI or more on cold start, I believe my oil pressure is about 20 psi at idle once warmed up and raises with RPM. I would have to double check but so far your numbers sound normal
Old 10-13-2016, 03:22 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

The oil pressure will drop as the oil heats up and flow increases. Only a freshly built H/F I like to see 80+ on a cold start idle but typically it's more like 90 on a brand new engine, depending on clearances. 10-20psi idle is normal when warm around 1k rpm, and should be seeing above 50psi at 3k on the H/F series at minimum. Most healthy examples I've built or seen will do 60psi+ at 3k unless the oil is super hot. Pressure should max out around 80-85psi shortly after that until redline. Hell my stock F20B is on the high end of those specs with about 50k on the clock.

Are you running the factory oil cooler? They do a good job keeping the oil temps within a certain range of the water temps, assuming your cooling system is up to it.

In all my years messing with H/F series I've never seen an oil temp above 240F and that was down a "road course" through some backroads in the middle of nowhere, nonstop getting the crap beat out of it at 450whp for a solid half hour. As temps go up, pressure will go down. You're gonna hit a point where the oil pressure will drop below recommend specs after a certain temp. For me that is about 230-240F. Anything higher than that is a gamble IMO. Make sure you run a quality oil that doesn't sheer or break down because of heat very readily. Just because it's synthetic doesn't mean it's good.
Old 10-14-2016, 07:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Discussion: Let's talk about optimal oil pressure and oil temps for the turbochar

That's very useful info thanks. Exactly what I'm looking for. I understand oil will start to break down at high temperatures aswell. I am utilizing the stock oil cooler still. I was able to fit a Mishimoto triple core rad into the car so I shouldn't have a problem there. It's pretty hard to find specific info on oil pressure and temperature, thanks alot for the insight guys.