Notices

Disconnect turbo piping to Throttle body for 100 miles ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2002, 12:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disconnect turbo piping to Throttle body for 100 miles ?

I am running 9.0:1 compression and the car is really slow out of boost, in order to get to speed, I need to hold rpm at partial throttle for longer periods of time than I would like, sooo.... I would lilke to remove the charge pipe from my I/C to my T/B (really just disconnect from T/B) and attach a pipe + filter while I wait for my fuel dilemma to end.

Ok, I've seen people saying that doing this will damage the turbo from excessive spinning. It is logical, but is this true ? If it's OK to do this, that would be great as I could solve more than 1 problem by disconnecting that pipe for a few days while I drive to work !
Old 05-29-2002, 12:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Disconnect turbo piping to Throttle body for 100 miles ? (X2BOARD)

we had to run no boost for break-in and just ended up taking the charge pipe out and running the old AEM intake for 1k miles. I rigged a netting on the end of the intercooler so nothing got in there. It ran just fine.
Old 05-29-2002, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Disconnect turbo piping to Throttle body for 100 miles ? (5speedv6)

and no damage to the turbo eh ?
Old 05-29-2002, 12:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hmmm...I am kinda perplexed by the claim the turbo will "over spin" with the charge piping connected.

It takes exhuast energy to spin the turbo right? And it takes a certain amount of intake air to make a certain amount of exhuast energy right?

With the turbo compressor outlet not connected to the engine I dont think you would be able to get enough air into the cylinders to burn and overspin the turbo.

Any thoughts on this?
Old 05-29-2002, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Disconnect turbo piping to Throttle body for 100 miles ? (HXMan)

HX, I think the theory behind what may happen is that the turbo would be spinning to compress air without any resistance at all since the pipe is going to nothing. It's not that the exhaust gases are spinning it any faster, it's that it's not really comressing the air into anything.

I don't know if this would damage the turbine, but I had heard that.
Old 05-29-2002, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just take out the wastegate spring. You will damage the turbo by letting it spool to infinite. Not good for turbo to spool to infinite......bad, bad, bad.....
Old 05-29-2002, 02:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Disconnect turbo piping to Throttle body for 100 miles ? (93LSivic)

or make sure you have your wastegate vac line connected to the side port of the turbo....that why no matter what, the turbo will only boost to whatever spring you have in the wastegate....now if you have the vac line connected to the intake manifold, your turbo is gonna be pushed too hard.....
Old 05-30-2002, 05:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Disconnect turbo piping to Throttle body for 100 miles ? (CDooMe2)

or make sure you have your wastegate vac line connected to the side port of the turbo....that why no matter what, the turbo will only boost to whatever spring you have in the wastegate....now if you have the vac line connected to the intake manifold, your turbo is gonna be pushed too hard.....
Yeah, but that should only be a difference of about 1 - 1.5 psi , no ? (Diff between turbo and IM readings on the vac line)
Old 05-30-2002, 06:10 AM
DSF
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Disconnect turbo piping to Throttle body for 100 miles ? (93LSivic)

Just take out the wastegate spring. You will damage the turbo by letting it spool to infinite. Not good for turbo to spool to infinite......bad, bad, bad.....
Ditto.

I know from personal experience. I blew one of my intercooler endtanks off on a drive home from work one day. Driving on I-95 is no place for slow acceleration, so I drove home normal n/a style....turbo spinning freely boosting the surrounding atmosphere. When I got home, I had a signifigant amount of oil that had blown past the turbo's seal and was all inside my charge pipes and intercooler. No permanent damage was done from what I can tell, but it's still not a good thing to do.
Old 05-30-2002, 08:39 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just leave the charge pipe connected and dont drive like a madd man. I garuntee u r not gonna detonate at half throttle with a a few psi. I ran for 3 months with a backwards fuel pump boosting 4psi, ur motor will b fine, just be careful.
Old 05-30-2002, 08:52 AM
filetofit

Why not just put a piece of duct tape partially over the compressor outlet to restrict the flow somewhat but not block it totally.
Old 05-30-2002, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Disconnect turbo piping to Throttle body for 100 miles ? (filetofit)

Why not just put a piece of duct tape partially over the compressor outlet to restrict the flow somewhat but not block it totally.
I had considered something to that effect, just didn't know if anyone had done it b4 (on the board)
Old 05-30-2002, 09:13 AM
Trial User

I have 8.5-1 compression.. and it's not that bad... so you have to get on the throttle a little harder..

you don't want to take off the pipe.. the turbo will spin itself to death..

Duct tape for resistance???

are you sure you want the responsibilty and expense of a turbo?? Don't ghetto it... but hey... whats a rebuild cost these days? Turbo.. who needs that... i have an extra 750-800 laying around, what about you?

just leave it on and drive carefully..... remind yourself that it's not ready and drive easy...
Old 05-30-2002, 09:30 AM
filetofit

Default Re: Disconnect turbo piping to Throttle body for 100 miles ? (GSRwBOOST)

Yeah duct tape, I know it's ghetto but it'll work. A few pieces over the outlet and then completely wrap around the ends a few times. If you're really worried use steel or fiberglass tape, that **** is strong as hell.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:11 AM
Smarter than you

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Disconnect turbo piping to Throttle body for 100 miles ? (filetofit)

dude, dont ductape it.. just dont get on it.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Disconnect turbo piping to Throttle body for 100 miles ?

Drove around with the charge pipe off for 1k miles and there wasnt one drop of oil in the intercooler pipes or anything. Just took it off and drove it slow (had to break in motor anyways) Now the charge pipes on and the car runs better than it ever did.
Old 05-30-2002, 11:29 AM
filetofit

Default Re: Disconnect turbo piping to Throttle body for 100 miles ? (5speedv6)

Switch the vacuum and boost lines on the wastegate so that at low engine load you'll be holding the wastegate open rather than shut. Don't floor it.
Old 05-31-2002, 06:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Disconnect turbo piping to Throttle body for 100 miles ? (GSRwBOOST)

Switch the vacuum and boost lines on the wastegate so that at low engine load you'll be holding the wastegate open rather than shut. Don't floor it.

I know that doesn't work. Did that once, a long time ago...

I have a custom mounted W/G and am thinking of just detaching the WG and running loud w/o boost, but just don't wanna crud up my engine bay any more than it already is ! (discount auto, here I come !) That'll be ghetto rig #493.

are you sure you want the responsibilty and expense of a turbo?? Don't ghetto it... but hey... whats a rebuild cost these days? Turbo.. who needs that... i have an extra 750-800 laying around, what about you?
Uh... yeah, I know how much it costs... Just did it voluntarily on my baby's slow ***.... didn't notice the 'almost 9.0:1' compression ? I wasn't going to definitely do the duct tape thing... just a thought that apparently has occured to others too. I also considered supergluing the turbine blades to the housing to stop them from spinning, but then I stopped sniffing the glue and that though went away.... so did my memeory of ages 8 thru 14. HA HA HA !!
Old 05-31-2002, 07:53 AM
filetofit

Ghetto =