Notices

Direct port N2O with Big Cams.......need advice.

Old 04-22-2005, 01:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Direct port N2O with Big Cams.......need advice.

I used to run N2O on my old B18b and decided to get rid of it on my new setup! I built an another B18b after the demise of my last one but decided to go allmotor and still have plans to go farther however that may come to a halt as I stumbled across a build similiar to mine running a 100 shot direct port. I have tried contacting the guy but have had no luck! I would go back to nitrous but I am unsure b/c of the cams I am currently running, even this guy I speak of used the same cams.

Here is a link to my setup. Tell me what you guys think and if I should consider going back on the bottle or continue my allmotor route.

https://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1124823
Old 04-22-2005, 01:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Direct port N2O with Big Cams.......need advice. (hybrid_vtec)

nitrous
Old 04-22-2005, 11:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Direct port N2O with Big Cams.......need advice. (SiR831)

bump
Old 04-23-2005, 06:28 AM

Nitrous Hopefully "PhaseChangeRacing" will speak up. Hes building my new setup as we post. Should have pics in a couple days.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:20 AM

It all depends on what you want to do with the car. if you are building a class specific all motor race car then the answer is obvious. If you are just trying to go fast and have fun, nitrous is absolutely the way to go. Your cams shouldn't effect your ability to run nitrous other than bigger cams just help let more nitrous and fuel in... Single nozzle (wet) systems lend themselvs quite well to Hondas due to their very simple plenum/runner design of the intake manifold But for big power a direct port system is the only way to go. You get even distribution and more liquid nitrous to the cylinder which means more volumetric efficiency and more power. Depending on your needs I can step you into a complete, installed direct port system for around $500 (minus bottle & line).
Old 04-23-2005, 08:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Direct port N2O with Big Cams.......need advice. (Phase Change Racing)

Ok here is the deal! This below is my current setup! I am thinking going towards a direct port setup. I used to have a wet kit on my old B18b. It was fun but I wanted a more powerful motor after I blew it up! So I rebuilt another B18b which you see the setup below. It was intended to auto-x and road-race but Southern California sucks and there are not as many tracks in the area as the East Coast. So I just want to have fun with this motor and I have plans for the B20 I have right for whenI go back east and that will be for road race only!

Its just my concern it teh Big cams! I am also wondering if I should buy a nitrous controller? And Hondata, Crome, and Uberdata can be tuned to kick back timing right b/c N2O shows up as positive pressure(Tell me if I am right or wrong)?

The Setup:
1992 Civic Si HB
B18A Block/ B18B Head
-Mild PnP
-Crower 404 w/ JG Cam Gears
-Crower Valvesprings
-Ferrea SS Valves
-Cometic Head Gasket
-Skunk2 IM
-64mm TB
-Modified Iceman intake
-JDM ITR 4-1 header w/ 2.5" collector
-No Cat
-2.5" custom piping and exhaust
-P30 B16 Pistons
-Stock Rods
-GSR Tranny w/ LSD
-Exedy Flywheel
-Clutch Specialties 6-puck clutch
-SAFC2
-Chipped P75
Old 04-23-2005, 01:08 PM

The cams are not a concern at all. The bigger the better. The only camshaft concern at all is if you adjust the lobe seperation really tight (don't think this is common on any DOHC engine) as in sub 110 range. You could potentially decrease the power gain by sending a lot of nitrous out the tailpipe due to massive valve overlap but this has little to do with the actual size of the cam.

IMO, nitrous controllers are garbage. Don't waste money on a controller, spend money on a good system and a good tune.

The nitrous isn't going to show up as a positive pressure on your map sensor so you will have to use another means of timing retard. Bear with me, i'm not a honda guy so I don't know all the engine management software out there. I know a lot of it has a way to retard timing for nitrous use though. Timing retard really isn't that big of deal when you are spraying smaller ammounts. I spray 80 to my little 2.5 dodge with 18lbs of boost with no timing retard and no problems. 370fwhp of 12 vavle fury hehe.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Direct port N2O with Big Cams.......need advice. (Phase Change Racing)

Well that is my concern b/c I do have a massive overlap! However I guess I could adjust cam timing to reduce that.

As of means of timing retard, I still have my old MSD ignition and retard box and controller sitting in te closet, if that would be appropriate.

Another thing is when choosing a kit I think I will go with NX Express Direct port! I have had both ZEX and NX and prefer the NX kit and made better power with it over the Zex wet kit.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or recommendations is appreciated.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:38 PM

NX has higher quality equipment than NOS and their tunes are a bit less pig rich. But NX tends to build what sells, not what performs. They make a lot of gimmicks and bling bling crap that doesn't perform. Zex doesn't make anything I would reccommend for anyone. They cover a niche market of mild nitrous system demand and thats about it. I try to keep my systems priced pretty competitively with the big boys but offer custom installation & better out of the box tunes along with products actually made in the US.

There is a lot of power and reliability that can be found in a well laid out system with a proper tune. Hopefully some of these guys I have built systems for will be hitting the track pretty soon and i'll have some fresh data/pictures.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Drop me an email with some pics and prices, and any other info you think may be useful.

hybrid_vtec@sbcglobal.net
Old 04-24-2005, 10:08 PM

Email sent.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:28 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Phase Change Racing)

I will check it out, thanx!
Old 04-24-2005, 10:38 PM

dont get a hondata or stuff like that just get a MSD digital 6 it's perfect for nitrous and racing. it's got every feature of the msd digital 6 plus 2 step and timing retart for boost.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

advance the exhaust side...

big cams will let more fuel nitrous in, advancing the exhaust duration earlier in the cycle will help from wasting nitrous/fuel and let you get a "fuller" effect from the shot.
Old 04-25-2005, 03:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (raceACCORDingly)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by raceACCORDingly &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">advance the exhaust side...

big cams will let more fuel nitrous in, advancing the exhaust duration earlier in the cycle will help from wasting nitrous/fuel and let you get a "fuller" effect from the shot.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanx guys!

I appreciate the tips, keep em coming.
Old 04-25-2005, 06:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hybrid_vtec)

hybrid,
i have been following and reading your build for quite some time now. i have started my old ls build again and i am using a 98 ls block less than 20 thousand miles on it and a 94 head with basic bolt ons i/h/e chipped ecu. now i recently put a nos dry setup on it with exospeed ls race cams. i am running a baby shot until i get my head ported and milled, but on the cams they are on stock gears running a little rich but i havent blew it up yet. i have to put in my valvetrain in this weekend so i could utilize the cam to its fullest. you should check it out i'm stationed over hear on nab coronado you could check it out
Old 04-25-2005, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (f22btwincam)

Drop me an email and give me your contact info. Im at NAS North Island(right down the street)

hybrid_vtec@sbcglobal.net
Old 04-25-2005, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (hybrid_vtec)

contact info sent
Old 04-25-2005, 08:37 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (f22btwincam)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by f22btwincam &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">contact info sent </TD></TR></TABLE>