Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   Different coolant temperature readings between AEM & aftermarket gauge. why? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/different-coolant-temperature-readings-between-aem-aftermarket-gauge-why-3337186/)

thugsbryan 05-21-2019 02:46 AM

Different coolant temperature readings between AEM & aftermarket gauge. why?

Hey guys, I have a turbo b16 with a AEM ecu, I recently installed a aftermarket water temp Guage but the Guage is showing a different reading from the temp the AEM shows, I installed the Guage sensor on the top radiator hose, the Guage is Reading 12 degrees cooler than what the AEM is showing, shudnt the 2 be showing the same reading?

Cooling system is a double core half size aluminum radiator with oem thermostat and spal fan

Txdragon 05-21-2019 03:49 AM

re: Different coolant temperature readings between AEM & aftermarket gauge. why?

Originally Posted by thugsbryan (Post 51934875)
Hey guys, I have a turbo b16 with a AEM ecu, I recently installed a aftermarket water temp Guage but the Guage is showing a different reading from the temp the AEM shows, I installed the Guage sensor on the top radiator hose, the Guage is Reading 12 degrees cooler than what the AEM is showing, shudnt the 2 be showing the same reading?

Cooling system is a double core half size aluminum radiator with oem thermostat and spal fan

What guage?

thugsbryan 05-21-2019 03:52 AM

re: Different coolant temperature readings between AEM & aftermarket gauge. why?

Originally Posted by Txdragon (Post 51934898)
What guage?

Well it's a electrical Guage, think the brand is hotsystem, didn't tink i needed anyting fancy jus to show the coolant temp

Txdragon 05-21-2019 03:55 AM

Originally Posted by thugsbryan (Post 51934899)
Well it's a electrical Guage, think the brand is hotsystem, didn't tink i needed anyting fancy jus to show the coolant temp

Helps to know what peripherals like that play nice with your given EMS. It could be variations between that particular guage and your AEM. I'd inquire with an AEM tech advisor and see if there may be any concerns on that particular front. :cheers:

thugsbryan 05-21-2019 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by Txdragon (Post 51934904)
Helps to know what peripherals like that play nice with your given EMS. It could be variations between that particular guage and your AEM. I'd inquire with an AEM tech advisor and see if there may be any concerns on that particular front. :cheers:

The Guage is independent of the AEM, I get the temp from the aem wen I connect my laptop and bring up the engine data, I ran this aftermarket Guage to the top radiator hose

thugsbryan 05-21-2019 04:08 AM

I just want to know if the coolant in the top radiator hose and where the engine coolant temp sensor is should be reading the same temperatures

Txdragon 05-21-2019 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by thugsbryan (Post 51934907)
The Guage is independent of the AEM, I get the temp from the aem wen I connect my laptop and bring up the engine data, I ran this aftermarket Guage to the top radiator hose

Yeah, so basically you have the AEM giving a reading and then another guage (one that came with the sensor I presume) giving its own reading? That's what i mean by variations in each other.. The AEM and whatever guage you're comparing it to. ;)

maxwellmercer 05-21-2019 04:13 AM

Your other gauge sensor is threaded into an aluminum oven, so I can see why there would be variance between the two.

thugsbryan 05-21-2019 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by maxwellmercer (Post 51934926)
Your other gauge sensor is threaded into an aluminum oven, so I can see why there would be variance between the two.

Isn't the head aluminum also, and the Guage on the top radiator hose it showing 12 degrees cooler than what the engine temp sensor is showing

Txdragon 05-21-2019 04:23 AM

I looked up the sensor kit itself and found it on Amazon. 67 reviews, 3 and a half stars. 25% of the reviews were 1 star and the majority of those complained of inaccuracy.

MastaFlyMason 05-21-2019 06:01 AM

I have one of my gauges behind the block and one on the side and the temps are 10 degrees apart

thugsbryan 05-21-2019 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by MastaFlyMason (Post 51935031)
I have one of my gauges behind the block and one on the side and the temps are 10 degrees apart

Water temp Guage? Wat engine? Electrical Guage?

LightningTeg 05-21-2019 09:23 AM

Re: Different coolant temperature readings between AEM & aftermarket gauge. why?

This is normal. My aftermarket water temp gauge is read from the top radiator hose and the factory sensor is in the thermostat housing IIRC, which is connected to lower coolant hose. So the temp at the top of the radiator is always going to be hotter. It is roughly 10 degrees like others have said (the aftermarket gauge always reading hotter as its right at the outlet of the head)

thugsbryan 05-21-2019 09:27 AM

Re: Different coolant temperature readings between AEM & aftermarket gauge. why?

Originally Posted by LightningTeg (Post 51935332)
This is normal. My aftermarket water temp gauge is read from the top radiator hose and the factory sensor is in the thermostat housing IIRC, which is connected to lower coolant hose. So the temp at the top of the radiator is always going to be hotter. It is roughly 10 degrees like others have said (the aftermarket gauge always reading hotter as its right at the outlet of the head)

I thought the factory water temp sensor was connected to the head near the inlet for the upper radiator hose, the fan switch is wats in the thermostat housing

LightningTeg 05-21-2019 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by thugsbryan (Post 51935336)
I thought the factory water temp sensor was connected to the head near the inlet for the upper radiator hose, the fan switch is wats in the thermostat housing

Yeah you might be right. Either way, the differential readings you are getting is normal.

Chance EG 05-21-2019 12:44 PM

This is normal due to the different locations of the sensors.

thugsbryan 05-21-2019 12:47 PM

So which one is showing the correct reading for the engine coolant then? Cause it's 10 to 12 degrees in difference which is alot, and most aftermarket temp Guages are installed on the top radiator hose

Txdragon 05-21-2019 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by thugsbryan (Post 51935548)
So which one is showing the correct reading for the engine coolant then? Cause it's 10 to 12 degrees in difference which is alot, and most aftermarket temp Guages are installed on the top radiator hose

Read it from AEM. :cheers:

thugsbryan 05-21-2019 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Txdragon (Post 51935562)
Read it from AEM. :cheers:

Yes but I can't drive around with my laptop Connected all the time which I why I got the aftermarket Guage

Txdragon 05-21-2019 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by thugsbryan (Post 51935566)
Yes but I can't drive around with my laptop Connected all the time which I why I got the aftermarket Guage

Why's that? Po po that douchebaggish in your area?

maxwellmercer 05-21-2019 01:42 PM

Technically they're both right, they differ because they're reading at 2 different spots. I'd go off the factory location (your AEM) because it was put there for a reason.

Chance EG 05-21-2019 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by Txdragon (Post 51935587)
Why's that? Po po that douchebaggish in your area?

Plus driving around with an open laptop and periodically looking at it sitting in your passenger seat is a PITA, safety hazard, and looks ratchet lol.

The gauge that's reading from the OEM location (directly in the head) is the "most important" one.

Kinda too late now, but why didn't you get a gauge that could have just displayed the result straight off the ECM?

LightningTeg 05-22-2019 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by thugsbryan (Post 51935548)

Ok well you know its always 10-12 degrees hotter at the aftermarket gauge...Shouldnt be a problem.

TheShodan 05-22-2019 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by LightningTeg (Post 51935806)
Ok well you know its always 10-12 degrees hotter at the aftermarket gauge...Shouldnt be a problem.

I agree. it's actually good to see temps from two different sources. that means you really know coolant is flowing and working properly. Just know that it is 12 degrees higher than what the AEM sees. no need for laptop, now.

thugsbryan 05-22-2019 10:42 AM

It's hard to believe that the coolant temp changes by all of 10 degrees by such a short distance as the factory temp sensor is very close to where i put the aftermarket sensor on the top radiator hose