Notices

Differences in Garret T3/T04E 60 trim vs. Precision SC-5027E ????

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 08:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Differences in Garret T3/T04E 60 trim vs. Precision SC-5027E ????

So I'm at a fork in the road as to what the differences are between these 2 turbos other then price. So far I know they both have E comp housings, One has a 50 trim and the other is 60, both have .63 A/R exhaust.

Now I know the precision has a 360 race journal bearing in it but just to make sure does the garrett have one as well?

Any other specifics like, material used, weight, specs, etc...?

Like I was saying in difference of price the Garret goes for $555 shipped while the Precision is over $800?

I already have the precision SC-50 now but sucked something in and totally destroyed the CHRA and compressor wheel. I'm looking to upgrade slightly and leaning towards the 60 trim. Any suggestions?

Any info is appreciated
Old 03-07-2007, 08:56 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: Differences in Garret T3/T04E 60 trim vs. Precision SC-5027E ???? (wickedEFguy)

Originally Posted by wickedEFguy
So I'm at a fork in the road as to what the differences are between these 2 turbos other then price. So far I know they both have E comp housings, One has a 50 trim and the other is 60, both have .63 A/R exhaust.

Now I know the precision has a 360 race journal bearing in it but just to make sure does the garrett have one as well?
Most of the Garrett turbochargers utilize a 270degree journal bearing, especially in thier smaller framed turbos. Once you get into the larger sizes, the 360 degree bearing is standard, while Precision uses 360 degree bearings in ALL of their line, regardless of size, which, in part, accounts for the higher price per unit. The difference is somwhat a matter of durability of mileage, but its rather negligable in the long run.

Any other specifics like, material used, weight, specs, etc...?
The differences between the 2 companies really is the housings used and the materials used in their housings when cast. The shell mold process I know is used with both Garrett and Borg-Warner in which gas is inserted into the aluminum in order to keep the cast housing from shrinking, and too much or too little gas used can change the integrity of the cast of the housing. From the way the compressor housings have looked from Precision, I don't believe they use the shell mold process, due to the porous look of the cover. In my experience, if this shell mold process is not implemented properly, there is a tendency to result in some inconsistencies in the replication of the cast (but these are only about 100 units out of every several thousand made from what I've seen over the years.). In the Garrett and BW units, I have not seen nearly as many of those instances, but I can't say exactly how many or how often this has precisely occured with Precision because I don't know Precision's ISO9000 Burst Containment Standards status, if any.

Both the 50 "trim" and 60 "trim" use the same compressor wheel exducer size, but different inducer sizes, which change the characteristics of the turbo a bit. Both will use the same T31 stageIII exhaust wheel, and have similar sized exhaust housings, but the top range of the hp used on the 2 is very similar. The 60 trim may have a bit more to give in the top end, but a bit more lag becomes prevelent, especially in a VTEC motor b/w 2900-4000rpm range. Garrett typically offers their exhaust housing as a T31 4 bolt, with the 5 bolt SVO housing as an additional option for a bit more of a price. The Precision unit is offered with either housing for the same price.

Like I was saying in difference of price the Garret goes for $555 shipped while the Precision is over $800?
Precision offers some tubo cartridge combinations in compressor and exhaust housing size options that Garrett does not, which can either help or hurt in the price structure, but it helps them stay consistent in price to the public.

I already have the precision SC-50 now but sucked something in and totally destroyed the CHRA and compressor wheel. I'm looking to upgrade slightly and leaning towards the 60 trim. Any suggestions?
There's always the possibility of getting the turbo rebuilt and the housing machined to fit the larger inducer size. But I must admit, by the time you do all of that, the cost of the rebuild may amount to the same as though you have paid for a new unit altogether from Garrett. Before deciding if an upgrade is even needed, look at the use of the car, powerband goal, and purpose of thinking you even NEED an upgrade. In that area, only you can answer those particular questions.

Hope this helps a bit.

Modified by TheShodan at 6:33 PM 3/7/2007
Old 03-07-2007, 09:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This was exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much

So last question...what turbo's is the 360 degree bearing standard? You talked about how in the smaller size turbo's it will utilize the 270 degree bearing. Would this be in like a T3 .48A/R super 60? or smaller? What about the 60 trim that I want, does this have a 360 or 270?

The car it's going into is a B16 swapped CRX mostly daily driven, mostly just want to hit around 400 ponies and call it a day. This is why I'm leaning towards the 60 trim, not to ginormous and not too small for daily driven fun

thanx again
Old 03-07-2007, 09:38 AM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts
Default Re: (wickedEFguy)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by wickedEFguy &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">This was exactly what I was looking for, thank you so much

So last question...what turbo's is the 360 degree bearing standard? You talked about how in the smaller size turbo's it will utilize the 270 degree bearing. Would this be in like a T3 .48A/R super 60? or smaller? What about the 60 trim that I want, does this have a 360 or 270?

The car it's going into is a B16 swapped CRX mostly daily driven, mostly just want to hit around 400 ponies and call it a day. This is why I'm leaning towards the 60 trim, not to ginormous and not too small for daily driven fun

thanx again</TD></TR></TABLE>

Daily Driver is a relative term and is very subjective. Most of the T3 series up until past the 60-1 and 61mm inducer sizes use a 270 degree bearing system in the Garrett world. If you are indeed trying to acheive 400whp on pump gas, then you need to go much larger than the "60 trim" T3/T4. Since 400whp is starting to leave its efficiency range, you may want to look to something else. You do not want to purchase a turbo that is out of its efficiency range when trying to run at such a higher hp on an everyday basis. That leads to a short life of a turbocharger.