Difference between side-port and top-port on ext. WG when useing a EBC

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 04:31 AM
mrx
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between side-port and top-port on ext. WG when useing a EBC

Hi,

when using a EBC with one solenoid you can either connect it in-line with the boost source to the side-port of an external Wastegate (similar to a manual boost controller or a EBC connected to an internal-wastegate)

or

connect the side-port permanently to a boost source and connect the top port in-line with the same boost source from the side port.

Both connections will work, but why do external wastegate or ebc manufacturers recommend to use the top port for EBC wastegate control?!?
can someone explain where the physical difference is and what are the advantages and disadvantages of the two solutions?

both of them work, i've tested them both, but didn't found any difference in boost controll (at least at normal boost levels)

Best regards
Old 04-10-2008, 05:08 AM
Mr. Badwrench

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Difference between side-port and top-port on ext. WG when useing a EBC (mrx)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by mrx &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Hi,

when using a EBC with one solenoid you can either connect it in-line with the boost source to the side-port of an external Wastegate (similar to a manual boost controller or a EBC connected to an internal-wastegate)

or

connect the side-port permanently to a boost source and connect the top port in-line with the same boost source from the side port.

Both connections will work, but why do external wastegate or ebc manufacturers recommend to use the top port for EBC wastegate control?!?
can someone explain where the physical difference is and what are the advantages and disadvantages of the two solutions?

both of them work, i've tested them both, but didn't found any difference in boost controll (at least at normal boost levels)

Best regards</TD></TR></TABLE>

they regulate boost by how hard they hold the valve shut through pressure on the top port.
Old 04-10-2008, 05:25 AM
mrx
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Difference between side-port and top-port on ext. WG when useing a EBC (boostedcivicsir)

i know how it works, but i see no physical reason why it is better to use the top port instead of the side port like when you are using a manual boost controller.

Top Port: if boost is applied, the same force is supporing the spring against the boost pressure from the side port.

Side Port: because of the duty-cycle of the solenoid a mean pressure lower then the boost pressure (depending on boost pressure) is pressing against the spring, so raise boost level...

so both connection types are doing the same, but i'am sure that there is a reason (maybe better control) via the top port... so i hope someone can explain why.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Difference between side-port and top-port on ext. WG when useing a EBC (mrx)

side port applies pressure under the diapragm, top port applies pressure above the diapragm. wastegates are opened by pushing up on the spring from the bottom. the EBC allows for pressure to be applied up top acting against the upward push of the bottom port. this helps to increase spool and give better boost control.

Old 04-10-2008, 11:40 AM
mrx
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Difference between side-port and top-port on ext. WG when useing a EBC (dpetro1)

Yes, but lowering the amount of boost on the side port does physicaly the same...

This is not a discussion/question about the general principle of EBC and a external wastegate... it's about the physical difference a side vs. top controlled boost controll.

is top control gives a better boost controll, maybe you can physicaly explain why?

Thanks
Old 04-10-2008, 12:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well im not an expert but my rational is that using only one side of the diapragm must be less effecient. an MBC just blocks, or bleeds boost from the side port. using the top port allows pressure to be equal on both sides rather than just reducing it, thus giving more control. i dunno it makes sense in my head, hopefully im making sense to you guys as well.