Notices

Diesel turbos on a honda ?!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Diesel turbos on a honda ?!

Originally Posted by boosted920
az civic: thanks for your post. hmm....480 is not bad for a brand new garrett. Yes I will definately be running e85 (a few stations near my house) and race gas for high boost. If I may ask, what kind of set up are you running to make 480whp ? those are some impressive numbers. I also plan to keep my ps and ac also. I will have to look into inlinepro's manifolds. My buddy with the turbo also has a manifold but it's nothing fancy. If it'll work with my ps/ac then i may run it, but if not i'm going to have to look for an alternate mani. My car has a brand new walbro 255 h.p pump. I was thinking about running an inline walbro just for added assurance. overkill? my cousin is going to give me his old precision 1000cc injectors (he just had them sent out and flow tested. came back that the lowest one is pushing just over 900psi and the rest are at high 900's. so i guess you could say that they are 900cc injectors)

bseriescivic5: nice! that is a low spool up time. once at 25-28psi that turbo is really going to come to life. lmk how she does on high boost.
Thanks, I was surprized how fast it spooled myself. Im not sure how this turbo will react at higher pressures, as TheShodon has explained, these turbos tend to operate in very narrow rpm ranges, which is why my car still gets murdered on the street by most V8s, ect (a lot of this has to do with wheel spin, ect.) but the boost comes on really really hard and generally blows the tires right off. I would have been happyer with a 30r or even a 60 trim garrett, but I got this turbo for 100bucks brand new so i said what the hell and tryed it.
Old 04-01-2010, 07:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

turbodirect.com didnt come up with anything besides a Garrett dealer in south africa?....
Here you go, its in Phoenix Az, where I am located. This guy builds them and sells them to company's like Full Race, AFI, etc. He is a wholesaler, but also does awesome rebuilds etc.

http://www.turbosdirect.com/
Old 04-01-2010, 07:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

az civic: thanks for your post. hmm....480 is not bad for a brand new garrett. Yes I will definately be running e85 (a few stations near my house) and race gas for high boost. If I may ask, what kind of set up are you running to make 480whp ? those are some impressive numbers. I also plan to keep my ps and ac also. I will have to look into inlinepro's manifolds. My buddy with the turbo also has a manifold but it's nothing fancy. If it'll work with my ps/ac then i may run it, but if not i'm going to have to look for an alternate mani. My car has a brand new walbro 255 h.p pump. I was thinking about running an inline walbro just for added assurance. overkill? my cousin is going to give me his old precision 1000cc injectors (he just had them sent out and flow tested. came back that the lowest one is pushing just over 900psi and the rest are at high 900's. so i guess you could say that they are 900cc injectors)

bseriescivic5: nice! that is a low spool up time. once at 25-28psi that turbo is really going to come to life. lmk how she does on high boost.

I am running a closed deck sleeved 84.5 mm GSR block
Eagle rods, Endyne pistons
stock crank, ACL bearings
for the head it is a stage 3 Joe Alaniz head, type r valves, springs, retainers, Type R cams, Edelbrock Mani, 68mm Skunk Throttle body.

I am tuned on Hondata S300 with boost by gear. tuned by Locash.

Turbo Manifold is the Inline Pro Stainless Steel Mani
Garret 60 trim turbo
3 inch downpipe
3 inch exhaust

it made 480WHP at 16.8 psi, but If I ran 20 pounds it would easily do 520Whp, I have ac/ps which is very nice to still have. I wouldn't want to boost it higher than 20 mainley because I don't need it. I also daily drive this car everyday to work.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bseriescivic5: you're not the first person to tell me how hard full boost hits on these diesel turbos. a boosted honda is no use from stop light to stop light unless you have slicks and supporting suspension/traction bar setup. my main goal with the car is a DD that will rip at the track and hold its own on the highway. My motivation is to be able to hang or beat my cousins built turbo ka24de s14 with a 35r on e85. he's shooting for 500+whp. the only advantage I got is being lighter and his trans is a POS.

az civic: thanks for posting your setup. you have one hell of a motor my friend! that's considerably low hp for a motor that can handle much more. better safe than sorry. i'm running a stock bore b18b bottom end with CP pistons/eagle rods, acl race bearings,stock micropolished balanced LS crank and a stock b16 head (for now). i'm lacking sleeves, which i kick myself in the *** for not spending the extra 1200 on sleeves and an o-ringed block. oh well, i'm hoping for 400-500whp on race gas and high boost. oh, and thanks for the link
Old 04-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

bseriescivic5: you're not the first person to tell me how hard full boost hits on these diesel turbos. a boosted honda is no use from stop light to stop light unless you have slicks and supporting suspension/traction bar setup. my main goal with the car is a DD that will rip at the track and hold its own on the highway. My motivation is to be able to hang or beat my cousins built turbo ka24de s14 with a 35r on e85. he's shooting for 500+whp. the only advantage I got is being lighter and his trans is a POS.

az civic: thanks for posting your setup. you have one hell of a motor my friend! that's considerably low hp for a motor that can handle much more. better safe than sorry. i'm running a stock bore b18b bottom end with CP pistons/eagle rods, acl race bearings,stock micropolished balanced LS crank and a stock b16 head (for now). i'm lacking sleeves, which i kick myself in the *** for not spending the extra 1200 on sleeves and an o-ringed block. oh well, i'm hoping for 400-500whp on race gas and high boost. oh, and thanks for the link
Exactly... If I wanted a street warrior Id just build a talon/evo/ect. or a nitrous b-series setup. But ya, you should be able to give him a run for the money...... best of luck my friend. Just remember, there are soo many options out there. Take your time and research all ends.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

there was a guy on here running a borg warner gm8 on his sohc accord and was mashing evos his videos is on youtube search f22 turbo
Old 04-02-2010, 04:26 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

okay. No one is questioning it can't be done, but the question is for his budget, use, and his resources that are available to him, should it be done? We're saying no in this case.
Old 04-02-2010, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm running a twin scroll HX35 on a D16, hitting 14psi at around 4000 or so in 3rd.. Hits HARD, but saying that, I've never drivin a turbo Honda before either..

D16z6
Custom twin scroll manifold
2 38mm tials
3" DP, no exhaust
vitara/FJ Spec bottom end, balanced
zex 59300 cam with Crower springs and retainers, stock valves
precision 880s
16 degree IGN timing, 0 on cam.. Just a street tune for drivability for now..
Old 04-02-2010, 07:12 PM

As I stated earlier in the thread. the HX series of Cummins (Holset) is an exception to most diesel turbos used on honda applications.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the info. on that "f22 turbo" video. i'm going to check it out right now...

slowhitej1: thanks for chiming in with your setup. that's one of the "concerns" i had with the hx35, some of them seem to be twin scroll and others are regular open flanges. I've seen one dsm guy run a regular flanged t3 manifold WITH a twin-scroll hx35 and it seemed to work fine. he didn't have boost problems. but idealy, it would be smart to run a twin-scroll turbo with a twin-scroll manifold. a quick question for you; do you think if you were to run a regular flanged mani. , would that affect your spool time? if so, by how much? I'm just asking this because I figure twin-scroll mani.'s are more expensive and more difficult to custom make? I'm really liking the hx35 turbos. pretty cheap and they are making good power.

thanx for the help....
Old 04-02-2010, 07:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yo im runnin a deisel turbo. Shes a 53 trim hotside and a 51 cool side on a d16z6, built bottom end, tryin to get it tuned for 16psi tomorrow and shootin for 320hp. I was running a t3/t4 with 84 trim hotside and 50 cool, and because of the low comp. the vitara pistons put out, it wouldnt spool the beastly bast*rd over 6psi, so i bought this turbo for 75 bucks and should do fine. Turbo is a turbo, just have to kno what kind of flow youre workin with, because high compression on a d series can spool up a big turbo, where as low compression means ur not getting much exhaust flow from the head so you would need a smaller hotside. Now b series is a diff story. B series has alot more exhaust flow either way, just depends on where u want the boost to come in on the rpm range.
All in all, if he gave you a turbo, by all means use it. Free **** dont come often my friend. lol
Old 04-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by TheShodan
As I stated earlier in the thread. the HX series of Cummins (Holset) is an exception to most diesel turbos used on honda applications.

I wasn't disagreeing, I was more or less reiterating(sp) what you said, and not that you need it ;-)

as far as for our question effecting spool times, I'm not the person to ask. Though I will say, I've almost always seen twin scroll designs spool faster than normal flanged hotsides, or when people us the split exhaust turbos with a normal ramhorn.. Something I haven't seen anyone mention, is the fact that you can find HX35's in 16, 12, and 9cm hotsides. Hope that helps!

Also, someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't people seen pretty good results with the HY series turbos in spooling pretty quick and making good power?
Old 04-03-2010, 10:00 AM

^^ Understood.. ;-)

I've seen more of the HY series do a bit better on the D-series platforms than the HE series. I leave the HE and GM-8 series alone for the D-series. HX & HY seem to work best from my experience
Old 11-24-2013, 09:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm digging up an old thread here, but I was searching around for information on people using the GM 6.5 diesel turbos in gas applications and want to clear up some stuff on these GMX turbos. These turbos are very well designed, but were made small for the big diesel application. It meant the trucks made nearly theinstant boost, but it dropped off after 2200RPM.

This shouldn't be a concern, as these are comparable in size, output and efficiency of an HY35, but smaller overall than the HX35. The H1C and WH1C (The W stands for Wastegated). The numbers represent an evolution as they made small design changes that ultimately led to the GM8 being the best of them all.

So they should work great in these circumstances, they can be had for dirt cheap and flow way better than any farm equipment based turbo. Stick to road going diesels, as they need to operate over the entire RPM range just like a road going car would.

Anyway here are the specs:

Borgwarner/ISHI RHC6 turbocharger.

Very high quality turbo featuring T3 compatible oil drain and turbine flange, polished Compressor housing, bigger shaft than equivalent garrett turbos, double compressor seal and sturdy internals such as bolted-Down 360deg. Thrust plate and an integrated backplate.

Compressor wheel: 50.3 / 70 mm 52 trim
compressor housing: 0.7 a/r

center section: oil cooled journal bearings

Turbine wheel: 64.6 /62.1 mm 77 trim
Turbine housing: 0.7 a/r
Old 11-24-2013, 10:28 PM

Its more than just the size that makes the HY/HX series a more desirable alternative to what you're proposing, its the design of the compressor wheel itself (from the fact that they can operate at much higher rotational speeds and efficiencies, due to its curved exducer backwall, splitter-blade design in both 6 and 7 bladed configurations,) as well as the turbine wheels used and turbine housing configurations that work well with gasoline engine applications.

What people don't get is that especially with Hondas, the cylinder head efficiencies of B-series, H-series, and K-series are so high that they just overpower these GM series from the 6.5 and 6.0 litre systems because they just weren't designed to rotate quickly. this is why only the HX and HY are considered for Honda and DSM applications over these other diesel applications.. they were built for high rotational speeds in mind. Even given the same wheel inducer/exducer measurements.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its more than just the size that makes the HY/HX series a more desirable alternative to what you're proposing, its curved exducer backwall, splitter-blade design in both 6 and 7 bladed configurations,) as well as the turbine wheels used and turbine housing configurations that work well with gasoline engine applications.
Hot damn, Shodan speaks of Holsets!

What is a curved exducer backwall and splitter-blade design?

Last edited by B and B; 12-03-2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What people don't get is that especially with Hondas, the cylinder head efficiencies of B-series, H-series, and K-series are so high that they just overpower these GM series from the 6.5 and 6.0 litre systems because they just weren't designed to rotate quickly. this is why only the HX and HY are considered for Honda and DSM applications over these other diesel applications.. they were built for high rotational speeds in mind. Even given the same wheel inducer/exducer measurements.

In some ways you are right, but my point was that the Borg Warner RHC6 GM1-8 turbos are not steady RPM, agricultural based diesel turbo's. They were built for daily driving on the street in a relatively high-RPM V8 diesel engine. A section of this thread focused entirely on how diesel turbo's are not suited for gas applications and it seemed like some actual diesel based experience needed to be brought in.

I also don't think they are suited well for H or K-series engines, as they are high flow, high RPM to begin with. The 6.5TD turbos were built for neck snapping TQ from off-idle to 2200-2500RPM on a 6.5TD. Which, generally speaking, could healthily feed a 3.2L gas engine to 4400RPM's before being choked down. But I could definitely see these turbo's being great for any D-series or budget B-series builds, especially if you are keeping it modest with boost, RPM's and power numbers.

Last edited by koots; 12-01-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If I had to pick, I'd chose the H1C/WH1C, GM3-GM4 or HX35 turbo.

I currently have two GM3 turbos, one will go on my 6.2L diesel K5 Jimmy project (apocalypse survival rig) and the other is going into a, you guys are gonna love this, a 1995 Chevy Corsica w/2.2L OHV and 3-speed automatic...which is slowly becoming an entirely different beast than GM ever intended.
Old 12-01-2013, 05:19 PM

Understood. I wish you luck on your continued experimentation. Many of us over the years did in fact use the Detroit diesel and GM-8 series on the "budget" b-series, and results from what I remember in 2004-2006 were mediocre at best. But the HX series due to its design alone still prevails as the diesel to Gasoline king.