Notices

did i crack my ringlands?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2006, 03:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default did i crack my ringlands?

ive had this turbo z6 in my ef for about 3 weeks now and its been running fine until the other night i swapped in a 16g and it seemed slower than with the 14b so today i decided to check my compression to see how healthy it is incase that was the problem and 1 and 4 have 160 on the money and 2 and 3 have 120 on the money. i pulled both plugs from 2 and 3 and did it again and they read 120 still so i know its not a head gasket leak between the two. i added a few drops of oil and the compression went up to 135. could it just be the rings in those two somehow are worn equally?

the A/F in boost was mid-high 11's and the timing was 19* @ 10psi at redline. im running beerbongskickass's uberdata bin that hes been running for 2 years without problem so i dont thinkt he tune was bad.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: did i crack my ringlands? (CoreyR)

... Someone else's tune is not made for your car.. it should merely be used as a base map, then tuned for your specific engine. Fucked something up good.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:15 PM

Default Re: did i crack my ringlands? (ccivic)

i second that ^

just because someone elses tune works for them, doesnt mean it will for u
Old 04-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: did i crack my ringlands? (ek_chris)

Yeah every motor is different.

I dont think the ringlands went but they are getting close, i believe 10%+ between cylinders is not good. I am sure that you were seeing some detonation.

I suggest pulling the timing like 3 degrees and going easy on things. Thats what i did on my b series and 4 months ago i red 140 across all cylinders, and as of last week i read the same.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: did i crack my ringlands? (urbansi)

i know every motor responds different but it was not detonating enough to hear if it was in fact detonating and the AFR's were fine. im about to go out in the garage and change the head gasket and install my headstuds to see if that somehow helps. i knew i should have checked the compression when i first installed it
Old 04-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Your AFR's could have been fine but your timing could have still been an issue
Old 04-03-2006, 04:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by CoreyR &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">ive had this turbo z6 in my ef for about 3 weeks now and its been running fine until the other night i swapped in a 16g and it seemed slower than with the 14b .....</TD></TR></TABLE>

So, you switched to a turbo with more airflow, and kept the same ECU calibration? Do you have a wideband in the car or was the AFR just fine when you first set it up with the smaller turbo?
Old 04-03-2006, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Re: did i crack my ringlands? (urbansi)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by urbansi &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Yeah every motor is different.

I dont think the ringlands went but they are getting close, i believe 10%+ between cylinders is not good. I am sure that you were seeing some detonation.

I suggest pulling the timing like 3 degrees and going easy on things. Thats what i did on my b series and 4 months ago i red 140 across all cylinders, and as of last week i read the same.</TD></TR></TABLE>

How can you read someone's compression results and make a wild *** guess as to say you think the ringlands are "getting close" to failing? Thats complete and total BS. Ringlands either work, or they don't. They aren't going to mystically start leaking and then break all together. They are either good, or bad. No in between.

I also find it even more amusing that you can tell him his car WAS detonating sight unseen. Another joke.

To the original poster. You need to add more oil then "a couple drops" to the cylinder to see if it helps. Try a capfull.
Old 04-03-2006, 06:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: did i crack my ringlands? (nfn15037)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by nfn15037 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

So, you switched to a turbo with more airflow, and kept the same ECU calibration? Do you have a wideband in the car or was the AFR just fine when you first set it up with the smaller turbo?</TD></TR></TABLE>

the map was tuned for a turbo larger than the one im running. like i said the AFR's were mid 11's according to my zeitronix.<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Hybrid93Eg &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

How can you read someone's compression results and make a wild *** guess as to say you think the ringlands are "getting close" to failing? Thats complete and total BS. Ringlands either work, or they don't. They aren't going to mystically start leaking and then break all together. They are either good, or bad. No in between.

I also find it even more amusing that you can tell him his car WAS detonating sight unseen. Another joke.

To the original poster. You need to add more oil then "a couple drops" to the cylinder to see if it helps. Try a capfull.</TD></TR></TABLE>

well the head is off the car already im putting a brand new gasket, ARP studs and a new timing belt and im going to see if anything changes. if not im going to run the motor till it dies and go b series.