Notices

did alot of searching and i have more qestions about smc fuel managment and tuning

Old 01-05-2003, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default did alot of searching and i have more qestions about smc fuel managment and tuning

i was reading up on the smc and i have some questions for those of you that know about it.what are the largest size injectors that will work wih smc +? i was thinking dsm injectors would be fine for 10-12 psi but from what i hear the 450's will run a high duty cycle at that much boost,if it were possible to run 550's with the smc what would the duty cycle look like at 10-12 psi ?i hear the injectors would have to be tuned down somehow to work properly is that what the smc does? can someone explain this in detail? and the final q: the smc tuning range is in 8 increments of 1000 rpms,how does this compare to other fuel managment systems and is this enough to safely boost 12 psi while maintaining a proper air fuel mixture?
thank you all in advance for any help i get on this subject

[Modified by buckfittyone, 9:38 AM 1/5/2003]

[Modified by buckfittyone, 9:40 AM 1/5/2003]

[Modified by buckfittyone, 6:38 PM 1/5/2003]
Old 01-05-2003, 05:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: did alot of searching and i have more qestions about smc fuel managment and tuning (buckfittyone

get some real fuel mgmt. the hack at min, which is still pushing it at 12 psi. go stand-alone. if money is an issue, talk to 2k_teg for great deals on hondata. s100 w/boost is your friend.
Old 01-05-2003, 09:46 AM

Default Re: did alot of searching and i have more qestions about smc fuel managment and tuning (buckfittyone

the only way i would be going hondata is if the price dropped to 150 bucks which i know will never happen,i want to get this thing done properly but i just cant afford a hondata system.with all the reseach ive done it looks like smc is my best alternative,this home made turbo project is costing a lot more than i thought it would
Old 01-05-2003, 09:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

the only way i would be going hondata is if the price dropped to 150 bucks which i know will never happen,i want to get this thing done properly but i just cant afford a hondata system.with all the reseach ive done it looks like smc is my best alternative, this home made turbo project is costing a lot more than i thought it would
yea it always does... id go for an afc hack, or go hondata s100 with boost, i bet you could find one for 150 less if it was used... my buddy got an aem ems for 950 barely used, so theres hope

goodluck
Old 01-05-2003, 11:26 AM

*bump*still a few unanswered questions
Old 01-05-2003, 03:32 PM

^^
Old 01-05-2003, 07:15 PM

^^^
Old 01-05-2003, 08:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The SMC can run 550's
Do a search for the "SMC Faqs" thread.
Old 01-07-2003, 06:53 AM
zip
Honda-Tech Member

SMC FAQ
Old 01-07-2003, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Would you explain why you are suggesting "the hack" over the SMC? You know they do the exact same thing right? The only difference is that the AFC costs three times as much and looks all bling bling on your dash.
Old 01-07-2003, 10:36 AM
mos
Honda-Tech Member

this home made turbo project is costing a lot more than i thought it would

yea it always does... id go for an afc hack, or go hondata s100 with boost, i bet you could find one for 150 less if it was used... my buddy got an aem ems for 950 barely used, so theres hope

goodluck
The homemade projects always cost more than you think. And yes you are right, the afc looks all bling bling on the dash. That is, until some punk *** bitch breaks your window and rips it out.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Would you explain why you are suggesting "the hack" over the SMC? You know they do the exact same thing right? The only difference is that the AFC costs three times as much and looks all bling bling on your dash.
i have good experience with the afc, and i have no experience with the smc... thats the only reason why i said that. nothing against the smc, afc can give out digital readouts of throttle, revs etc... i dont think the smc has a digital face... someone correct me if im wrong, i dont even recollect what the smc looks like
Old 01-21-2003, 09:51 PM

^
Old 01-21-2003, 10:00 PM

for the money u can get the smc. For a home project I doubt you'll ever max out the 440's you have...if you do you'd probally spent enough money on your engine buildup to actually afford a standalone. Your only other alternative is to get a fmu setup. For the best bang for the buck i think the smc will suffice. Just don't expect standalone results without the price.
Old 01-21-2003, 10:44 PM
New User

Without fmu, your 440s will probably max out pretty quick. I'm close to max out my 720s.
Old 01-22-2003, 09:30 AM

i wish there were more smc plus users then we could get some real unbiased reviews on its performance.
Old 01-22-2003, 05:00 PM

faq says it will work with 550cc injectors, I don't know what the duty cycle is at 10-12 psi, yes the smc "tunes down" the injecters but I remember reading that someone had to lower the fuel pressure a bit to lean things out, because, for him, the smc was not cuting enough fuel even with the the seetings all the way to lean. As for other fuel management systems the afc allows adjustments in 500 rpm increments, you should be okay with the smc it at 12 psi.

Keep in mind I havn't bought one yet so someone correct me if I'm wrong on anything. I was also wondering on the largest size injectors the smc+ can handle because I'm getting mine so that it would be easier for me to pass emissions (allows me to still run the turbo etc when I remove the aem ems for a day)

I was wondering if I lower the fuel presure even more with larger injectors like 720cc or larger if the smc+ would still work for me? (so I don't have to swap injectors when I take out the aem ems)

[Modified by b3435, 2:56 AM 1/23/2003]
Old 01-31-2003, 02:06 PM

does the smc+ work with 2 different boost settings or would you have to re-tune it after you raise the boost?
Old 01-31-2003, 07:43 PM

^^
Old 01-31-2003, 07:51 PM

As far as I know the smc adjusts fuel in 1k rpm increments so if you tune it for say 9 psi at 6k and then lower the boost you will run rich with less boost at 6k. But then again, sometimes you wouldn't make as much boost at 6k anyway do to throttle position and load, so I don't know?

Maybe zip can answer this.

By the way, anyone know about my injector question?

[Modified by b3435, 4:53 AM 2/1/2003]
Old 02-01-2003, 04:19 PM

^^
Old 02-03-2003, 05:49 PM
zip
Honda-Tech Member

does the smc+ work with 2 different boost settings or would you have to re-tune it after you raise the boost?
The SMC plus will proportionally deliver less fuel at less boost. Always tune the SMC plus to the highest boost your going to run.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

how will SMC plus will proportionally deliver less fuel at less boost rather then boost at a higher setting?
Old 02-03-2003, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

im not a user of it, but will be. i think all she does is raise the boost at the set rmp...at lower rmp the turbo would be spooling and building boost. so you just raise the boost at the set rmp increments to raise the fuel delivery (injector pulse) at a set rmp. higher rmps = more boost, which inturn needs more fuel.
Old 02-05-2003, 08:54 PM

bump ... interesting, Id like to hear how it does this

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: did alot of searching and i have more qestions about smc fuel managment and tuning