Diagnostic & General Discussion: Using Twin Boost Solenoid's

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 03:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: Diagnostic & General Discussion: Using Twin Boost Solenoid's

^^^
Very Nice!

If I was on my zx10 and a camry was even visible I would probably drive off the road!

-
The car I am applying this boost control method to is using a turbo nearly beyond its efficiency. So it will be interesting. Thanks again for the diagram!
Old 10-09-2014, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I just finished tuning this boost control setup using dual gm 3ports.

Works flawlessly with aem ems.

I dialed in our drag radial street race setup. Holds boost perfect.
8psi 1st

Thanks again for the thread.

Billspec
Old 01-15-2017, 09:09 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TempestRacing
did a car on s300 with dual solenoids we installed a few weeks ago with 5psi springs... we quit turning the boost up at 35psi, but i think we were only at 75% or so on the control. works really well.
What size is the turbo? I'm looking to use 9 pound springs with Dual 3 port solenoids to make at least 45psi on a 62mm turbo
Old 04-24-2017, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm using the dual 3 port solenoids with 11.6 pound springs and boost will NOT hold down low at all. It creeps to 25+psi. I have the solenoids wired up as the same diagram posted in this thread. Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance
Old 05-24-2017, 12:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DA 4 Lyfe
I'm using the dual 3 port solenoids with 11.6 pound springs and boost will NOT hold down low at all. It creeps to 25+psi. I have the solenoids wired up as the same diagram posted in this thread. Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance

I had horrible resolution/ability to control boost on a 9lb spring, and dual 3ports wired together. 4port no better

Get the 3ports off of being wired together, so you can control them separately.
Old 05-25-2017, 12:48 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Pumpking.
I had horrible resolution/ability to control boost on a 9lb spring, and dual 3ports wired together. 4port no better

Get the 3ports off of being wired together, so you can control them separately.
How bad was it? Would it hold WG pressure with the 4 port?

I wish I could wire it separately. Only issue is I'm using hondata s300
Old 05-25-2017, 03:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Twin Boost Solenoid's

How bad was it? Would it hold WG pressure with the 4 port?

I wish I could wire it separately. Only issue is I'm using hondata s300

it would creep to 12psi on a 6lb spring. but that is likely due to the nature of my WG outlets.

1% change in DC% jumped my psi up 9psi.

4 port was more consistent, in that 1% would jump boost 3-4psi for every 1% DC.

Both are ****. If you want to do it, you need to do it right, imo. These 4port/dual 3port solenoids look great and problem solvers on paper, but in real world they are quirky, touchy, and hard to dial.

S300 doesnt have a nitrous table or another available PWM output tables? The ems doesnt need to know solenoid is specific for boost. you just need to set up a pwm output table to work in your situation.

Redynoing with them wired separately in the next wk or 2. I can let you know how much better my life is after i dial them in. Wasted alot of time and money trying to get the 4port/dual 3port on 1 pwm to operate correctly through dyno testing.
Old 05-25-2017, 06:27 PM
Honda-Tech Member

it would creep to 12psi on a 6lb spring. but that is likely due to the nature of my WG outlets.

1% change in DC% jumped my psi up 9psi.

4 port was more consistent, in that 1% would jump boost 3-4psi for every 1% DC.

Both are ****. If you want to do it, you need to do it right, imo. These 4port/dual 3port solenoids look great and problem solvers on paper, but in real world they are quirky, touchy, and hard to dial.

S300 doesnt have a nitrous table or another available PWM output tables? The ems doesnt need to know solenoid is specific for boost. you just need to set up a pwm output table to work in your situation.

Redynoing with them wired separately in the next wk or 2. I can let you know how much better my life is after i dial them in. Wasted alot of time and money trying to get the 4port/dual 3port on 1 pwm to operate correctly through dyno testing.
What was the most boost you ever made with the 6psi springs and the 4 port? I'm hoping to make 45 or so with my 8lb springs. What was the best frequency that you used with the 4 port? Sounding like the best way is to use a bigger spring and a single 3 port
Old 05-25-2017, 07:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What was the most boost you ever made with the 6psi springs and the 4 port? I'm hoping to make 45 or so with my 8lb springs. What was the best frequency that you used with the 4 port? Sounding like the best way is to use a bigger spring and a single 3 port

4port and 6lb, i hit 810@32lb. that was mid 40% DC, with the 4port needing about 30% DC to actually begin working. very narrow range.

It was done on 31hz. I was on AEM V1, so I didnt really have the option to change the hz. I had since switched to infinity and dual 3port parallel. It's now wired separate.

I just put in a 10lb spring to replace my 6lb spring. The less you have to rely on the 4port DC or dual3port parallel DC, the better because not being able to control the DC to the top port is the issue.

Last edited by Pumpking.; 05-25-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-25-2017, 11:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

4port and 6lb, i hit 810@32lb. that was mid 40% DC, with the 4port needing about 30% DC to actually begin working. very narrow range.

It was done on 31hz. I was on AEM V1, so I didnt really have the option to change the hz. I had since switched to infinity and dual 3port parallel. It's now wired separate.

I just put in a 10lb spring to replace my 6lb spring. The less you have to rely on the 4port DC or dual3port parallel DC, the better because not being able to control the DC to the top port is the issue.
This has been my experience with the 4 port as well. You really need the ability to change the frequency in order to make it function more user friendly and offer a wider operating range. On my setup a 9 psi spring is giving me 28 psi with about 45% DC IIRC.

I've also found that the turbo setup dictates the behaviour dramatically with the 4-port. My streetcar with a 64mm turbine and eCtune has wider resolution than the drag car with a 80mm turbine and Haltech Elite.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by extremeracer
This has been my experience with the 4 port as well. You really need the ability to change the frequency in order to make it function more user friendly and offer a wider operating range. On my setup a 9 psi spring is giving me 28 psi with about 45% DC IIRC.

I've also found that the turbo setup dictates the behaviour dramatically with the 4-port. My streetcar with a 64mm turbine and eCtune has wider resolution than the drag car with a 80mm turbine and Haltech Elite.
What resolution do you run? How much boost does each 1% DC add?

Do you have access to a dyno or can test something easily?

Last edited by Pumpking.; 05-26-2017 at 10:34 AM.
Old 05-28-2017, 11:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

What resolution do you run? How much boost does each 1% DC add?

Do you have access to a dyno or can test something easily?
I'll have to look at my duty lookup table and notes and get back to you. I am fortunate that I have easy access to a dyno, so I can experiment with settings.