Notices

Denso Iridium IK24 broke, help please!!!!

Old 04-18-2006, 03:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Denso Iridium IK24 broke, help please!!!!

Hey everybody I have a Civic VTi with B16A2 engine turbocharged with 15PSi with wiseco pistons compression 9.0:1 and eagle H-bean rods and my problem is that the ceramics of my sparks are breaking.

Well I was using the denso Ik20 and the inner ceramics (the white one that goes around of the electrode) just broke and felt in the piston chamber and simple destroied the piston rings so I bought the denso Ik24 (much more colder) and it hapenned the same thing.

The things that I saw is that the spark plug is not even scratched, the apark plug is completely new but this ceramics just felt, like if this little part explode but anything happened to the apark plugs, just the ceramics felt..... So anyone have ever heard of it? Or happened to you?? Or knows why is this happining?????

Please someone help me out!!! I can`t keep buying spark plugs and piston rings.....

Here is the picture of what it broke(it`s not the picture of mine, because i didn`t have time yet to take a picture of it, I just put a picture of the part that breaks all the time)

Thanks
Erico
Old 04-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Whoa denso's iridium ceramic jacket falling off?

Wow well you cant do anything about faulty spark plugs go with NGK's.

I guess I need to send an email to denso about that.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:01 PM
Weq

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bkr7e-11's
same thing happened to my mates iridumns. they suck for boost.
Old 04-18-2006, 05:06 PM
Honda-Tech Member

They dont suck you just got some faulty ones.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re:

A lot of cases it was caused by detonation or some flaw in the tune... these plugs don't just explode for no reason when Supra guys are using IK24 plugs at 800+ RWHP.

I was using IK24 at one time and it worked well. You shouldn't be using an IK20 plug anyway because that is way too hot for a well boosted engine (stock heat range). For those IK24, they should be absolutely fine so the next thing you should check is signs of detonation on the rest of the plugs.

If you insist on running iridiums, you should try the NKG IX plugs. I am using a set of BKR7EIX on my turbocharged Camry and they do the job well. I mainly switched plugs because of the price difference vs the Denso's. The car runs better with the NGK's than any other type of platinum/copper/whatever plugs you see on the market.
Old 04-19-2006, 03:28 AM

I know that I shouldn`t be running Ik20, I know but at that time it was the ones that I have... but when I puted the IK24, well I thought that it might work out.....
The thing is that I bought 2 sets of Ik24, one for me and another one for a friend that has the same setup as me and his car is doing well......

The problem is why hell is this happenning??? There are no gas problens, the car has a very good tunning. Is this normal to happened with denso`s?????

And so what is the best plugs for boosted cars???? I thoguht that Ik24 were the best...but as this happened I think that I was wrong.....

Modified by VTEC-Brazil at 4:40 AM 4/19/2006

Modified by VTEC-Brazil at 4:48 AM 4/19/2006
Old 04-19-2006, 04:12 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: (VTEC-Brazil)

I'd bet that you are getting preignition. That's why the ceramic cracks. I've had it happen to me before from a boost controller problem. At the time I got no detonation, just preignition, which got the plugs so hot that the ceramic cracked. I've used IK 24's on a car with >20 PSI of boost and they worked great, util I got preignition and busted all the ceramic off of them. I use IK27's now and they work well.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:26 AM

Default Re: Re: (Tony the Tiger)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Tony the Tiger &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote"> I am using a set of BKR7EIX on my turbocharged Camry and they do the job well. I mainly switched plugs because of the price difference vs the Denso's. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Ok but the BKR7EIX aren`t still hot? See it´s just 1 step colder then then the stock.....Well I don`t know....but I think that it is still hot.....
Old 04-19-2006, 04:30 AM

Default Re: (rmcdaniels)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I'd bet that you are getting preignition. That's why the ceramic cracks. I've had it happen to me before from a boost controller problem. At the time I got no detonation, just preignition, which got the plugs so hot that the ceramic cracked. I've used IK 24's on a car with &gt;20 PSI of boost and they worked great, util I got preignition and busted all the ceramic off of them. I use IK27's now and they work well.</TD></TR></TABLE>

As I`m not from USA, I didn`t understood very well the "preignition" part. Like is it when you starts the engine? Because my sparks broke while I was runnning...... the 2 times that happened was when I was running.....

Sorry for the question about "preignition" but I don`t know this expression......Can you explain me??

Thanks
Old 04-19-2006, 06:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTEC-Brazil &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

As I`m not from USA, I didn`t understood very well the "preignition" part. Like is it when you starts the engine? Because my sparks broke while I was runnning...... the 2 times that happened was when I was running.....

Sorry for the question about "preignition" but I don`t know this expression......Can you explain me??

Thanks</TD></TR></TABLE>

http://www.hastingsmfg.com/Ser...n.htm
Old 04-19-2006, 09:30 AM

Default Re: (rmcdaniels)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rmcdaniels &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">http://www.hastingsmfg.com/Ser...n.htm</TD></TR></TABLE>

Thanks
Old 04-19-2006, 10:27 AM
Honda-Tech Member

When I got some preignition, it didn't make noise like detonation does, the motor just lost some power. It didn't feel bad at all, but it did heat up the plugs enough to crack the insulators and got the pistons a little bit melted, but not bad. I drove it 80 miles home from the drag strip, boosting all the way.
Old 04-19-2006, 06:31 PM
Weq

MidShipCivic:

Same tune, differnet plugs, no worries. hence why i said, they suck.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (VTEC-Brazil)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by VTEC-Brazil &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

Ok but the BKR7EIX aren`t still hot? See it´s just 1 step colder then then the stock.....Well I don`t know....but I think that it is still hot.....</TD></TR></TABLE>

Sorry I confused you a bit... I also recommend 2 ranges colder. The BKR7EIX I am using is in fact 2 ranges colder compared to stock (factory Camry plugs are heat range 5).
Old 04-19-2006, 10:52 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Re: (Tony the Tiger)

copper
Old 04-20-2006, 12:27 AM

Default Re: Denso Iridium IK24 broke, help please!!!! (VTEC-Brazil)

In summary, your tune is off since you're detonating (preignition specifically) and that is the cause of the failing spark plugs insulators. The problem is not the actual spark plugs. Got it?

Brazilian pump gas is supposed to be pretty inconsistent by the way so that may be another reason for the tune being off.
Old 04-20-2006, 03:21 AM

Default Re: Denso Iridium IK24 broke, help please!!!! (tonydatyga)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by tonydatyga &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">In summary, your tune is off since you're detonating (preignition specifically) and that is the cause of the failing spark plugs insulators. The problem is not the actual spark plugs. Got it?

Brazilian pump gas is supposed to be pretty inconsistent by the way so that may be another reason for the tune being off.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah probably I`m having preignition....... I will see what is going on.....

But my pump gas is a walbro 255 so I don`t think that is inconsistent..... The dieference is the gas...here I use Alcohol.....And because of that I have to use colder sparks the you guys.......

Thanks