Notices

del sol ls vtec turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 09:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Icon2 del sol ls vtec turbo

Hey guys i just bought a del sol . They took off the turbo and nos off the car and put a different fuel rail on it with gsr injectors i think. the fuel pump is still the same from being turboed . The car is running really rich and smoking really bad . i was told i need to get it tuned because its still tuned for the turbo. Im trying to get it all motor for now , any one have any advice on steps i should take . engine is still strong but i was told i need to change the oil asap. it just smells like gasoline even when its parked. i was also told to get a catch can and pcv . anyone live in baltimore lemme know i need advice . thank you honda tech members
Old 07-02-2012, 09:40 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: del sol ls vtec turbo

It's just the ecu

You need a stock tune or you're just going to continue to run rich....
Old 07-04-2012, 08:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thank you
Old 07-04-2012, 09:09 AM
can I haz?

no need for the catch can. Get a stock ECU like wantboost said and you should run fine, you might need to change the fuel pressure on the FPR that should have been on there also unless they took it off.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok there is no stock ECU for a LS Vtec motor. A GSR ECU will work if you are running a GSR head and intake mani and have a knock sensor hooked up. A Del Sol Vtec ECU will run the motor to lean so that will not be safe. Best thing to do is to get it re tuned for a NA LS Vtec. Hopefully the compression in the motor is not low being that it was a boosted setup. Tune it and it will be good to go, make good power and be reliable.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:42 AM
can I haz?

being a LS vtec a GSR ECU should work fine but again if the block is not stock the best thing should be to get a dyno tune.
Old 07-05-2012, 05:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

What if the LS Vtec motor has a B16 head on it? Then the GSR ECU will not work, it will cause a CEL because the ECU will not see the sensors for the GSR's intake manifold. Also even a stock LS Vtec will have a lower compression then a GSR. So a GSR ECU is not quite right.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by nealnanoHX
What if the LS Vtec motor has a B16 head on it? Then the GSR ECU will not work, it will cause a CEL because the ECU will not see the sensors for the GSR's intake manifold. .
there is no CEL related to IAB. yes, they are triggered by the ECU but not having IAB will not cause a CEL. (think about everyone that uses aftermarket manifold)

sounds like the OP just needs to have his current ecu scaled back for stock injectors. no need to buy a new ecu if he already has a chipped ecu that can be re-programmed

OP, what part of bmore are you in? Im in Federal Hill if you really need help.
Old 07-05-2012, 03:56 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by thid92
being a LS vtec a GSR ECU should work fine but again if the block is not stock the best thing should be to get a dyno tune.
Only if you are running a GSR head with the stock GSR intake manifold and a knock sensor, but even still the compression of a stock LS Vtec is lower than a GSR so the stock tune will not be quite right. Will it run the motor yes bit not at 100% unless the compression is close to the GSR's 10.4:1. LS Vtec with LS pistons and a GSR head is about 10:1, with a B16 head it is about 9.8:1. If you have a B16 head or an aftermarket intake mani on the GSR head the stock GSR ECU will through a ECL because the ECU will not see the GSR's sensors on the intake mani. I hope this helps and clarifies some of the common misconceptions about LS Vtec ECUs. Best thing to do for them is to have a OBD1 ECU like a P28, OBD1 P75 or P72 or PO6 and have it tuned for your setup.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

If you have a B16 head or an aftermarket intake mani on the GSR head the stock GSR ECU will through a ECL because the ECU will not see the GSR's sensors on the intake mani.
again, no. this is inaccurate
Old 07-05-2012, 07:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hey you guys are great thanks for the info. The motor is a b18b1 bottom end with a gsr head. the motor was fully built for a turbo and nos its got low compression i was told. i was also told the ecu has hondata s100 . they took the turbo off and sold it to someone else. that person put a stock fuel rail on it , injectors, and distributor and spark plugs he said. he was trying to restore it to all motor because he didnt have enough funds to turbo it. he actually had no time at all so he sold it to me and now i have a project on my hands . i do need good advice tho because i really want to turbo the car again since everything is there to turbo it. since i drove the car home ive left it parked out because of how rich its running . i feel like it needs other things tho but im not skilled enough to know. i live in parkville, if someone wants to look at it thatd be cool we can become friends aha im nice guy only 18 yrs old. anyway the motor is very strong still thats y i want to turbo it . the tranny is ****ed i know that i need an lsd tranny if someone has one for sale and turbo axles cause i think mine r ****ed too ): . car drives still and pulls nice just makes some weird noises and smokes like a *****. thanks guys for any advice, ill put pics up tomorrow.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you need to sort out the ecu/tune first. unfortunately the s100 is somewhat obsolete so it may be hard to find someone to reprogram it.

i hope you didn't buy someone else's nightmare. you really should try your best to find out what internals are actually in there. i wouldnt just assume that the rods/pistons have been upgraded.

whats wrong with the tranny and axles?
Old 07-06-2012, 05:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

S100 is not obsolete, Hondata still makes and sells them. Better than Crome thats for sure. The S100 may not have as many bells and whistles as the S300 but it will tune just the same.
Yes OBD2 GSR ECU will through a CEL if you dont have the sensors for the IAB's plugged in and a knock sensor.
Old 07-06-2012, 06:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

S100 is not obsolete, Hondata still makes and sells them. Better than Crome thats for sure. The S100 may not have as many bells and whistles as the S300 but it will tune just the same.
i said somewhat obsolete. yes hondata still sells it but my point was more to the fact the it requires an authorized dealer to tune and they have to have the romeditior hardware to make changes. its obsolete in the fact that it isnt end user tuneable and some tuners that i know dont even carry romeditor

Yes OBD2 GSR ECU will through a CEL if you dont have the sensors for the IAB's plugged in and a knock sensor.
ok for obd2 yes, ill give you that. but that's not what we are talking about here. granted the OP never mentioned what year car, he obviously has an obd1 ecu since it has been chipped and tuned.
Old 07-06-2012, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

All good tuners should still have romedit simply because the S100 is still on the market and is a very good inexpensive way to tune a Honda. It is a good thing IMO that the end user/car owner cant tune their own car. This would lead to a lot of blown up motors. Tuning should be done by a qualified tuner, unless you know what you are doing dont try to tune your car. That and Crome still used romedit and tons of people are running Crome. I never would but thats not saying Crome does not work and is really really inexpensive.
Old 07-06-2012, 08:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

unfortunately your right i hope i didnt pick up a project but it seems pretty legit . I believe the internals are still strong the way vtec hits . the tranny is no good basicly everytime i hit second gear it grinds and i cant down shift into second because of it too it hurts. idk if the axle is bad he told me the cv boot is broke . pretty cool car i got it for 1000 dollars. 94 del sol ,skunk2 pro series coilovers , vis c/f hood, primed flat black with steelies. Do u guys know how hard it is to put a gsr tranny on. i have no serious skills but ive done basic stuff to cars i have a good hand
Old 07-07-2012, 03:06 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

How hard vtec "hits" has nothing to do with internal motor condition... You'd have to do a compression and leak down test to establish how healthy the motor is.
Old 07-07-2012, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

true...