Notices

debate: disconnecting charge piping vs running open wastegate for no boost on turbo... BAD?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 08:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default debate: disconnecting charge piping vs running open wastegate for no boost on turbo... BAD?

Some friends and I were debating this topic recently:

It is because I disconnected the charge piping on my turbo when I initially installed it b/c I didn't have time to wire up and install the injectors and had to get home.

One friend says that the turbo will spin too fast and overboost.

The only other solution would've been to run open wastegate (internally gated, so I would have just disconnected the arm), but I didn't want to lose or damage this oddly sized c-clip... they have a tendency to go flying when you try to pry them off.....

Another friend says that open wastegate will cause the turbo to spin too fast and overboost.

So who is right/ wrong? I mean, I have buddies who blow their charge piping off all the time due to running too much boost and they've never had any problems.

I've also been babying the car and not going over 5k rpms... the turbo spools up quick around 3k.....
Old 02-25-2005, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: debate: disconnecting charge piping vs running open wastegate for no boost on turbo... BAD? (Bla

Well with the wastegate open you will keep boost down if not boost at all, because gas will be routed around the turbine therefore not spinning it fully like if the gate were closed.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: debate: disconnecting charge piping vs running open wastegate for no boost on turbo... BAD? (Bla

running open chargepipe is not good on the turbo
Old 02-25-2005, 08:53 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Black R &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">One friend says that the turbo will spin too fast and overboost.
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You won't overboost, but you'll overspin the turbo, which can mess up the bearings and whatnot.

Just leave the WG open.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Just for reference, when my friend fried his turbo in his DSM (we we're still breaking the motor in and didnt have one to replace it with). We just disconnected his wastegate arm and wired the flapper open. He couldnt hit more than 1psi if he wanted to.

You gotta remember thats how an internal gate regulates boost and keeps the turbo from overspinning, is opening that flapper valve.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B20TDC2 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">running open chargepipe is not good on the turbo</TD></TR></TABLE>
Old 02-25-2005, 11:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

like said above
open wg