Notices

DaX's D16Z6 turbocharger build - older, but maybe not any wiser

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2019, 12:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Re: DaX's D16Z6 turbocharger build - older, but maybe not any wiser

Congrats! Sounds 5x5 so far. I don't know how the disconnected coolant line for the iacv will behave in your case, I can adjust mine through Neptune. It acted silly, yeah, but I was able to fix it through the tune. Put a broken down and folded out cardboard box under your engine bay to spot any leaks, particularly the little ones.
I was hoping to start mine today as well but it's been raining for 3 days now. And slow progress due to that. Lol. Got most of the engine assembled in my kitchen, just waiting for dry weather to move it outside. Sigh.
Old 01-19-2019, 03:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

Congratulations on getting it put back together and running! Has to be a satisfying feeling
Old 01-19-2019, 04:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

Your daughter looks super happy. Good job man. Sounds like the throttle stop needs adjusted up just a little bit. I like to set idle once the cars warmed up by unplugging the iacv when it's running then adjusting the throttle stop up till it idled at about 800-900rpms.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:21 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Txdragon
Congrats! Sounds 5x5 so far. I don't know how the disconnected coolant line for the iacv will behave in your case, I can adjust mine through Neptune. It acted silly, yeah, but I was able to fix it through the tune. Put a broken down and folded out cardboard box under your engine bay to spot any leaks, particularly the little ones.
I was hoping to start mine today as well but it's been raining for 3 days now. And slow progress due to that. Lol. Got most of the engine assembled in my kitchen, just waiting for dry weather to move it outside. Sigh.
I'm planning to swap my Hondata ECU in after a week or so of driving it. I'll start off with a stock map, and I don't plan on touching anything in the tables until I have a wideband in the car. We had the same weather system move through yesterday and we got drenched. But today was dry and sunny and I put another 20 miles on it.

Originally Posted by turboLScrx
Congratulations on getting it put back together and running! Has to be a satisfying feeling
Thanks, and most definitely. Glad to have the first start behind me - it's always so nerve racking for me, trying to make sure I didn't forget anything. You'll be there before you know it!

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
Your daughter looks super happy. Good job man. Sounds like the throttle stop needs adjusted up just a little bit. I like to set idle once the cars warmed up by unplugging the iacv when it's running then adjusting the throttle stop up till it idled at about 800-900rpms.
Thanks. I think she was smiling so big because I was, haha. I ended up adjusting idle like you suggested, and it improved some. After that I set the timing and found that I had the wires swapped on the IACV plug - not sure if it matters or not, but I de-pinned the plug and put them in the correct place. That improved it some more. I think I may try setting the idle adjustment screw one more time to see if I can get it just where I want it.
Old 01-21-2019, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You figure out which wideband you're going with?
Old 01-21-2019, 04:53 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Planning to go with PLX
Old 01-21-2019, 05:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
Planning to go with PLX
Nice. I had looked into that one and went with the Innovate LC-2. Contemplated AEM, but either way, they all use the same sensor; Bosch 4.9.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I have an innovate mtx-l and have had nothing but problems with it. All the aem widebands I've had have worked great over the years but the innovate throws a e8 with even a good o2 sensor.
Old 01-21-2019, 08:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

I bought a innovative kit and it’s worked flawlessly so far. Can’t remember what model at the moment but it was around $200.00
Old 01-22-2019, 03:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I have an innovate mtx-l and have had nothing but problems with it. All the aem widebands I've had have worked great over the years but the innovate throws a e8 with even a good o2 sensor.
That's why I passed on the MTX. I read there were numerous problems there. I was going to pass on the Innovate altogether because of this, then stumbled upon the LC-2. I didn't really see anything outside install troubles. The LC2 has been awesome, I've never had any troubles. There's probably more complaints about Bosch sensors than anything lol.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Try changing the actual cable. We've been innovate direct for a while. I've installed a countless # of Innovate and AEM gauges over the years. The most repeated issue is just sensor failure, which it's just a Bosch sensor thing regardless of what wide band you choose. I've yet to see an actual gauge failure from Innovate, but I have seen the very random "bad cable" pop up. It happened in my own car after trying to trouble shoot it on and off for months. It ended up being the cable itself, something inside of it went bad giving the same error. I've only seen 1 AEM wideband gauge go bad. I was throughly surprised and appreciative of the support I got when calling AEM about the issue. The PLX gauges are also nice, I just haven't installed enough of them to have a "long term" opinion. Again, just my $.02 worth of ramble.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:21 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Autoworks
Try changing the actual cable. We've been innovate direct for a while. I've installed a countless # of Innovate and AEM gauges over the years. The most repeated issue is just sensor failure, which it's just a Bosch sensor thing regardless of what wide band you choose. I've yet to see an actual gauge failure from Innovate, but I have seen the very random "bad cable" pop up. It happened in my own car after trying to trouble shoot it on and off for months. It ended up being the cable itself, something inside of it went bad giving the same error. I've only seen 1 AEM wideband gauge go bad. I was throughly surprised and appreciative of the support I got when calling AEM about the issue. The PLX gauges are also nice, I just haven't installed enough of them to have a "long term" opinion. Again, just my $.02 worth of ramble.
^^^ Kinda what I was getting at. Mostly Bosch sensor concerns. Read of many issues with the MTX controller though, lots of stuff about cables, didn't really see "bad" about the PLX. Just decided LC2.
I think we're trapped into only Bosch sensors though?
Old 01-22-2019, 04:26 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Wow, appreciate all the input from folks on wide bands. I remember being a fan of PLX back in the day, and haven't really looked at any other brands since seeing they were still in business.

Do most folks that run these on their cars just do away with the 4-wire sensor and run the wide band full-time, emulating the narrow band signal? Or, are people utilizing a 2nd o2 bung and still running the narrow band? I was planning to only run the wide band and emulate the narrow band signal to the S300. Any drawbacks to doing it this way?
Old 01-22-2019, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
Wow, appreciate all the input from folks on widebands. I remember being a fan of PLX back in the day, and haven't really looked at any other brands since seeing they were still in business.
If you're familiar with it and it worked well, grab it up!
Old 01-22-2019, 04:29 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bosch sensors are definitely finicky but, they will also fail prematurely if the mounting angle isn't within the correct range. I learned this first hand, thank goodness for warranty sensors.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Txdragon
^^^ Kinda what I was getting at. Mostly Bosch sensor concerns. Read of many issues with the MTX controller though, lots of stuff about cables, didn't really see "bad" about the PLX. Just decided LC2.
I think we're trapped into only Bosch sensors though?
Just remember when searching, people are much more prone to post about the negative on things of this nature, when in reality it's a very small percentage of the total out there.
Originally Posted by DaX
Wow, appreciate all the input from folks on wide bands. I remember being a fan of PLX back in the day, and haven't really looked at any other brands since seeing they were still in business.

Do most folks that run these on their cars just do away with the 4-wire sensor and run the wide band full-time, emulating the narrow band signal? Or, are people utilizing a 2nd o2 bung and still running the narrow band? I was planning to only run the wide band and emulate the narrow band signal to the S300. Any drawbacks to doing it this way?
Do away w/ the narrow band completely if you don't have to pass emissions or whatever. Once turbocharged, it will be useless. One O2 bung for the wideband sensor is really all you need.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX

I did away entirely with the narrow band and just ran the wideband but I never ran closed loop either. I hadn't really gotten that far into tuning myself to really play around with it that much.
Old 01-22-2019, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Autoworks
Just remember when searching, people are much more prone to post about the negative on things of this nature, when in reality it's a very small percentage of the total out there.
Yuppers. We spend a LOT of money shopping online for just about everything but groceries, and even purchase some hard to find grocery items from online sources. So reviews play a big role in that and reading them is a job unto itself. Lol! Most times it's just negative crap from either user error, or something broke/failed after considerable elapsed time. The vast majority doesn't even know HOW to properly review. Sigh.. Whole other topic entirely though. Lol
Old 01-22-2019, 04:46 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

As of now, I will have to pass emissions, but it's super lax compared to other states. I pull in, they look for a cat, put a sniffer in the tailpipe, and let the car idle for about a minute. That's it. My plan was to have a 3" cat and a matching test pipe, and to swap the cat in when I go in for the test every year. I was also wondering if I was running E85 if that's any better for passing emissions. Since I don't have to rev the engine up any during the test, I figured the turbo wouldn't even come into play. I was hoping that the wide band could put out a narrow band signal that the ECU can use and run in closed loop for the test.

And I say "as of now" because legislation has been passed to do away with emissions, they just need to figure out how to implement it, which they said may take about 3 years.
Old 01-22-2019, 08:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The innovate wideband was literally new in box, used for under two hours on my all motor car on pump gas. If the cable is bad I'm not gonna dump any more money into it because, well honestly it shouldn't be. I'm just gonna go with aem. I've ran an aem wideband in well over 2000 cars over the years for tunes and all I've had to do was replace the sensor about once a year just to make sure it's in good working condition. I don't think I'll ever buy another innovate after reading up that allot of people have had the same issues and they say it can be due to a firmware issue as well, all in all, the aem wideband just works, no special features, just wire up power and ground to it and it works as long as the sensor is good working. I like the simplicity of it and it's about one of the cheapest as well.

Last edited by K7-1Ktrevor; 01-24-2019 at 06:00 PM.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 365 Likes on 271 Posts

Damn dude you’ve tuned well over 2000 cars?
Old 01-24-2019, 05:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah. Started my tuning business in 2010, on my last laptop I had over 1900 tunes saved on Crome alone and I've had my new laptop for about a year now and that's not counting tunes on s300, kpro, flashpro, hp tuners and tuner studios (megasquirt)
Old 01-25-2019, 06:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My AEM was cheap simple and user friendly I get a replacement sensor from autozone. I had a innovative Lc1 it was more of a pain to install and use but it worked well. I’d go with AEM and use xenocron diy guide to install. Pretty easy job keep up the great work on the build.
Old 01-27-2019, 09:04 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by b16racereg6
keep up the great work on the build.
Thanks! Progress will be slower for the next few months until tax time, now that I have it running.

I cranked the car up and left it idling yesterday so it would warm up before I took it in for emissions (it passed). I heard a squealing noise from inside the house so ran out and shut the car off. It's not a belt - it sounds like air blowing over something making a buzz/squeal (like a woodwind instrument) or something like that. I've got some digging to do later today to see if I can pinpoint it, but I'm wondering if it has something to do with crankcase ventilation. I am running the black box and PCV valve connected to the IM right now, and I had Autoworks already weld up the valve cover vent that goes to the intake tube on a stock setup. I've already got the bungs on the valve cover for a catch can, and just ordered the catch can this weekend. Does anyone think by having the valve cover not vented at all (current state), it's causing pressure or vacuum or something that could be causing this noise?

*EDIT*
Just checked it again and my power steering fluid was low in the reservoir. Topped it off and hasn't done it again. I wonder if the sound was cavitation in the power steering pump. The noise is with the AC turned off, no fans running, not turning the steering wheel.
Old 01-27-2019, 01:15 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Pretty sure I figured out my idle issue today. I wanted to break the engine in on a stock P28 ECU, so now that that's done, I swapped in my Hondata ECU and uploaded a stock P28 map. My CEL hasn't been on, but when I connect to the ECU, it's telling me I have a Code 20 for the ELD. I've cleared it and it comes right back. This makes perfect sense as to why I would have an idle issue. I'll try to make it by the junk yard next weekend and pick up another fuse box to see if replacing that works to fix the idle issue. For now, I just increased the IACV duty cycle one notch to see if that will keep the revs from diving so low when coming off the throttle.

For the noise, I did hear it once after topping off the PS fluid, but I've driven it another 20ish miles, and haven't heard it since. My daughter rode in the back on the drive we took earlier today, and she noticed the seat was wet where the seatbelts come out. I pulled the back seat and there was a good amount of water there - the foam for the seat was soaked. I dried and cleaned everything and hosed the car down, but haven't found the water source yet. I was thinking tail lights, as I knew there was water getting in the trunk, but not sure now that I'm seeing it under the back seat.

Quick Reply: DaX's D16Z6 turbocharger build - older, but maybe not any wiser