Notices

DaX's D16Z6 turbocharger build - older, but maybe not any wiser

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2019, 03:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Re: DaX's D16Z6 turbocharger build - older, but maybe not any wiser

Whatcha payin' your pit crew in; oreos and gummy bears?!
Weather has been shitty here the last couple days and I can't pull my engine. My yard looks like a swamp. Lol! I've lost my spot in line at the machine shop because of it but he says it slows WAY down by the 2nd week anyways.

Keep up your progress, sir!!
Old 01-05-2019, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts

If you use that dollar tree carpet cleaner with a harbor freight steam cleaner it literally melts the dirt right off man. They are $100 at harbor freight but if you like detailing stuff out it's well worth it.
Old 01-05-2019, 06:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

Looking good Dax. I’ve been just trying to take my shop back, after I pulled the motor out it looked like a bomb had went off. lol. Welded my new shop work bench together today and getting all the assemblely parts together and ready to go. I’m guessing I’ll have the block back from CSS around January 20th-27th and I should have the head back the 2nd week of 2019. Only big ticket item left is injectors and a bigger fuel pump at this moment, everything I have should get me 500+hp
Old 01-06-2019, 03:55 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Txdragon
Whatcha payin' your pit crew in; oreos and gummy bears?!
Weather has been shitty here the last couple days and I can't pull my engine. My yard looks like a swamp. Lol! I've lost my spot in line at the machine shop because of it but he says it slows WAY down by the 2nd week anyways.

Keep up your progress, sir!!
Thanks! She doesn't require too much bribing for the "cool stuff". She also rotated tires and changed oil in my EF Sedan yesterday morning - I think she actually likes doing those, as she's almost confident enough to do them completely by herself. She does still need me to break loose and finish tightening everything, though. Yeah we've had a ton of rain here too in the last week. I'm working in a garage, but the with all the rain and high humidity, the concrete floor was soaked with water for a day. Again...all we've got is time, haha.

Originally Posted by K7-1Ktrevor
If you use that dollar tree carpet cleaner with a harbor freight steam cleaner it literally melts the dirt right off man. They are $100 at harbor freight but if you like detailing stuff out it's well worth it.
Yeah, you're post is the one that put me onto the dollar tree carpet cleaner. I decided to try working without the steam cleaner at first to save some $ - not sure I'd use it more than just once if I bought it. I think it's coming clean enough without the steam cleaner, though I'm sure I'm having to put in way more effort. I also don't want the bay to look TOO good...the paint on the exterior of the car is fading and peeling. It looks maybe a tiny bit better than you'd expect a 25 year-old original Honda paint job to look. So I'd hate to have a sparkling bay and then feel like I need to paint the car next.

Originally Posted by turboLScrx
Looking good Dax. I’ve been just trying to take my shop back, after I pulled the motor out it looked like a bomb had went off. lol. Welded my new shop work bench together today and getting all the assemblely parts together and ready to go. I’m guessing I’ll have the block back from CSS around January 20th-27th and I should have the head back the 2nd week of 2019. Only big ticket item left is injectors and a bigger fuel pump at this moment, everything I have should get me 500+hp
Thanks. I know what you mean about taking the shop back. I wish I had more space. I run my side business out of this garage doing whitewater canoe outfitting too. I'm actually glad things have been pretty slow these last few months, because that has allowed me to focus on this car project. Otherwise I've got canoes and outfitting everywhere, and doing that generates a lot of foam and wood dust. I got a trade school certificate in TIG welding 15 years ago and used to work for a machine/weld/heat treat shop (as an engineer), so I could get some seat time and stay up on it. It's been years since I've held a torch, but I'm feeling the tug to try to get a machine for the house. I'm jealous of you guys already having your cars turbocharged - I'm going to have to wait a little bit to get the car turbocharged - ran out of money for now. I'm basically going to be driving around on a built D16Z6 with stock intake and exhaust, lol. Oh well, I want to do this right, and I'd like to think I'm a little more patient now than I was with the last one. I'm hoping I can close out Phase 2 of the build with tax / bonus money sometime around April / May, then just start socking money away for the Turbo kit...maybe by the end of the year.
Old 01-07-2019, 03:18 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

About halfway there on cleaning the bay. I got the rear mount installed with the bolts loose - I'm guessing with stiffer mounts, I'll need to leave it loose until I see how the T-bracket fits. Looks like it's going to be a pain to tighten at least one of the bolts. I also started looking at the core support more closely, which is bent from a prior fender bender. I may need to pull the bottom of the core support out some before I put the turbo on to make sure there is clearance for everything, as I'll be keeping AC. The driver's side / bottom of the core support is pushed in about 1.5 - 2 inches, and the passenger side is pushed in about 0.5 inches. Finally, I got the coolant adapter plug installed on the block, with a cap on it for now. This will be the feed for the coolant to the turbo.

Old 01-07-2019, 04:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I got a feeling the rear mount is gonna be a bitch. Lol! Keep it loose and tighten down each one a little at a time, in steps, like the head studs. Where'd the coolant adapter come from again?
Old 01-07-2019, 04:55 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Where'd the coolant adapter come from again?
Go-Autoworks.
Old 01-07-2019, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
Go-Autoworks.
Looks like Mr. Greg will be getting more of muh money!
Old 01-07-2019, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You preparing for a water cooled turbo?
Old 01-07-2019, 07:42 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

You preparing for a water cooled turbo?
Yes. Looking at the TNX 20/60 from Go-Autoworks.
Old 01-08-2019, 04:22 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Finished cleaning the engine bay tonight. Got a before and after picture - different lighting and angles, but you get the idea - it looks waaaay better now. I should be able to hang the engine and transmission tomorrow evening.

Old 01-08-2019, 06:09 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That cleaned up damn nice, I just cleaned mine up but I have years of wear and scratches from about 10 swaps and don’t look like that. Lol.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:00 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

That cleaned up damn nice, I just cleaned mine up but I have years of wear and scratches from about 10 swaps and don’t look like that. Lol.
Thanks! I was pretty impressed with the carpet cleaner, even without using steam. I don't think the engine was ever pulled out of this car since it was put in for the first time.

I (we, rather) got the engine hung tonight. When installing the T-bracket, I remembered that the top bolt was missing when I pulled the engine out. Unfortunately I don't have a spare bolt that is the correct fit - I've got one that's too long, and one that's too short. I also noticed my T-bracket doesn't have the welded nut for the top bolt. I guess I'm going to go to the junk yard on Saturday and see if I can get a T-bracket and top bolt from another car. Oh well, I can start replacing the driver's lower ball joint and doing the front brakes over the next couple of evenings.

Old 01-09-2019, 06:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Oh yeah! That’s a great sight to see isn’t it
Old 01-09-2019, 06:22 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Oh yeah! That’s a great sight to see isn’t it
For sure! It's been just over 2 months since I pulled the motor. Seems like forever.
Old 01-09-2019, 06:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
For sure! It's been just over 2 months since I pulled the motor. Seems like forever.
T-bracket? Too many parts with too many names. Lol!

On another note. It's tons easier to drop the engine and tranny together. When I swapped to the Z6, I couldn't get the bitch pin out of the linkage so I had to put that **** together in the bay. Yuck.. Honestly, even doing a clutch, I'd rather just pull the whole engine. Lol
Old 01-09-2019, 06:48 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

T-bracket?

It's tons easier to drop the engine and tranny together. When I swapped to the Z6, I couldn't get the bitch pin out of the linkage so I had to put that **** together in the bay. Yuck.. Honestly, even doing a clutch, I'd rather just pull the whole engine. Lol
Totally agree. I always pull the engine and transmission together, even for a clutch job like you said.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:30 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

That looks so good reinstalled! Good work.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You guys are tripping lol. I can pull the tranny off in about 35 minutes give or take. Ac bolts work great for getting the bitch pin out.
Old 01-10-2019, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You guys are tripping lol. I can pull the tranny off in about 35 minutes give or take. Ac bolts work great for getting the bitch pin out.
15 mins was my fastest I ever got the tranny out of my old LS CRX. Keeping things clean is the ticket
Old 01-10-2019, 05:12 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

I mean, I try to leave them in the car and not pull them out too often, haha.

Didn't do any work tonight, but found this pic of my old setup. This was back when 300 whp was cool and we ran wastegates off the compressor housing.

Old 01-11-2019, 02:03 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

I discovered today that what I thought was warped rotors (from driving it before pulling the motor) turned out to be bad wheel bearings on both sides at the front. I ordered some Timken replacements, and while I've got the knuckles off, decided to replace the steering rack bellows on both sides, as the driver's side has a crack.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:02 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Got most everything in the bay assembled these last 2 days. I'm sick of scrubbing dirt and mud off of stuff, though. I still lack running the small heater hose to the FITV and IACV, installing belts, the air box, and the bumper. I got my torque mounts installed and halfway filled with window weld. I'm planning to let that set to hold the center piece in the correct position, then remove them and fill the rest. I don't know any other way to do it and not glue them to the frame rails. I should be able to crank and break in the engine this coming Saturday if all goes well. I've got the knuckles off and will be dropping them off at the shop for new wheel bearings on Tuesday. I found the trunk on this car leaking pretty badly - probably need to replace the taillight seals.
Old 01-13-2019, 03:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

More progress! We should be close to startup time together. Lol!
Old 01-13-2019, 07:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I always delete the fitv and iacv hoses. They just end up heat soaking the intake manifold and are just one more spot that could potentially leak coolant. Never had any issues with maintaining an idle that way.

Quick Reply: DaX's D16Z6 turbocharger build - older, but maybe not any wiser