DaX's D16Z6 turbocharger build - older, but maybe not any wiser - Page 3 - Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Go Back  Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion > Honda and Acura Technical Forums > Forced Induction
Reload this Page >

DaX's D16Z6 turbocharger build - older, but maybe not any wiser

DaX's D16Z6 turbocharger build - older, but maybe not any wiser

Old 11-15-2018, 10:13 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: DaX's D16Z6 turbocharger build - older, but maybe not any wiser

Yep the first one, I think he made just shy of 400whp.

Oh and I think he sold the car as is for $6500 or something.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:18 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC View Post
Yep the first one, I think he made just shy of 400whp.
nice! I'm thinking I'm for sure now going in a new direction than my D16 thoughts before. So a stock GSR is good for up to 400whp reliably without breaking? Besides new fuel pump and injectors would any other internals need to be changed or a good idea to be changed/upgraded? Then just add the turbo, tune and stuff that needs to be added like oil lines and whatnot standard to add a turbo? My build will be done with 93 octane tune for sure.

Edit: I understand it's not nearly as simple as I come across but the basic gist.
Old 11-15-2018, 10:33 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by J Dog View Post
nice! I'm thinking I'm for sure now going in a new direction than my D16 thoughts before. So a stock GSR is good for up to 400whp reliably without breaking? Besides new fuel pump and injectors would any other internals need to be changed or a good idea to be changed/upgraded? Then just add the turbo, tune and stuff that needs to be added like oil lines and whatnot standard to add a turbo? My build will be done with 93 octane tune for sure.

Edit: I understand it's not nearly as simple as I come across but the basic gist.
Yeah, I mean you can use some ARP head studs that are a lot better than stock. That thread should give you some insight on what he did and kind of go from there.
Old 11-15-2018, 01:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by AZ_CIVIC View Post
Yeah, I mean you can use some ARP head studs that are a lot better than stock. That thread should give you some insight on what he did and kind of go from there.
yeah I just read through 85% of it and got a ton of insight as to the whole thing. Thanks both you guys for showing me that.
Old 11-16-2018, 05:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Heya Dax, you get your cam today?
Old 11-16-2018, 05:25 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon View Post
Heya Dax, you get your cam today?
Roy, it did show up in the mail - hoping to drop the cylinder head off at the shop on Monday. Also got my oil pan and valve cover back from Go-Autoworks a few days ago.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:24 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Any big reasons I shouldn't run a stock flywheel with my setup?
Old 11-17-2018, 04:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX View Post
Any big reasons I shouldn't run a stock flywheel with my setup?
Not particularly. Stock Z6 flywheel is 18 lbs, so it's not THAT bad. Could go with one a bit lighter, it helps with revs but the heavier flywheel helps with higher hp applications. Someone else may better explain it, but the inertia from the heavier flywheel helps keep the spunk in the step, so to speak. Lol.
I went with a super lightweight and hadn't noticed any issues with a lighter FW. **shrug** It's another debated topic really.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

The stock/heavier flywheel is beneficial with load on the motor and inertia.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:33 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Autoworks View Post
The stock/heavier flywheel is beneficial with load on the motor and inertia.
^^ That's it. The lighter flywheel will drop revs pretty quick. This makes it a bit harder for the engine to fight back up to your powerband. Stock flywheel will help keep the revs from dropping so fast, keeping you in boost range a bit easier.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:46 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks, guys. That's what I was hoping to hear. I ended up buying an unused L3 transmission built by Synchrotech yesterday. I'm planning to pull the mFactory LSD, carbon synchros, and new synchro sleeves out and swap them into my S20 transmission. Kind of a bummer to take apart a "new" transmission, but it was a good deal.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Definitely want some good documentation on the trans process. I haven't torn one down yet..
Old 11-19-2018, 01:45 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Since I didn't do a good job documenting how I tore down the transmission, I'll try to take more pictures of the assembly process. I just follow the helm manual though. I used my inside-jaw bearing puller to remove the input shaft bearing and countershaft bearing from the clutch housing. After pulling the bearings and seals, I pulled all of the change selector parts and magnet out of the clutch housing and the shims and oil guides out of the transmission housing. Every transmission I've rebuilt so far has a small amount of metal shavings / sludge on the magnet, but I guess that's to be expected after 150,000+ miles. After getting it down to just the cases, i sprayed them down with degreaser, scrubbed with a brush, and then pressure washed. It was tedious, but I got the clutch side of the clutch housing clean enough. My sister lives on 40 acres down a dirt road, which is why this thing was sooooo muddy looking. Cleaning the engine bay is going to be fun, lol. The degreaser didn't even touch the mud color on the outside of the cases, so I started wire brushing them...man, what a difference. I hope to finish up the wire brushing on Wednesday and start reassembling later this week. I ordered a bearing and seal kit from Synchrotech, and my donor transmission should be here tomorrow.

Slide hammer inside-jaw bearing puller

Cases after degreasing

Degreased-only case in the foreground, wire brushed case in the background
Old 11-19-2018, 01:52 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

I also took some quick measurements of the axle seals I pulled out and drew up a set of seal drivers for my buddy to turn for me. He made me a rear main seal driver earlier this year when I rebuilt my wife's Accord engine and it worked out great. The two axle seals are different sizes, so there are to different seal drivers...I just did a 'print screen' of one of them to show you what it looks like. Honda makes a tool for this, but having my buddy make them will be free.

Axle seal driver, D-series, driver's side
Old 11-19-2018, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX View Post
I also took some quick measurements of the axle seals I pulled out and drew up a set of seal drivers for my buddy to turn for me. He made me a rear main seal driver earlier this year when I rebuilt my wife's Accord engine and it worked out great. The two axle seals are different sizes, so there are to different seal drivers...I just did a 'print screen' of one of them to show you what it looks like. Honda makes a tool for this, but having my buddy make them will be free.

Axle seal driver, D-series, driver's side
nice! It really pays off knowing people that can do that kind of stuff. My buddies dad is a master fabricator and machinist. Had him machine me up a spanner socket a few years ago to get into my Honda shadow tranny to replace the clutch disks. Socket from Honda was like $130. He made me one from a used socket and machined steel pipe. Worked like a dream.
Old 11-21-2018, 02:13 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

I got a little bit of work done today on the transmission, and am glad to be making some progress. The donor L3 / cable transmission showed up in the mail yesterday. This transmission has an mFactory LSD and carbon synchros in it, which will be moved over to the hydro / S20 transmission. It's a shame to pull apart a completely unused Synchrotech gearbox and rob it of parts, but it won't work in the 1994 chassis. I'll put the open differential and brass synchros from the S20 back into the L3, button it up, and probably just stash it in my shed as a backup for my EF sedan.

My daughter helped me finish wire brushing both case halves today - this thing looks really good now. I think media blasting would have been the only way to make it look better, and I don't have access to a blast cabinet any more. We cleaned the cases inside and out and started reassembling the gear select mechanism in the clutch housing. Can't really get rolling on reassembly until my bearing & seal kit shows up next week.

Old 11-21-2018, 03:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice work. Keep it up
Old 11-21-2018, 03:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Sucker looks brand new!
Old 11-21-2018, 06:38 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Wow that looks great! Love getting my kids involved in my projects.
Old 11-27-2018, 03:37 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Got my tranny rebuild kit in the mail from Synchrotech yesterday, and got my seal drivers for the axle seals from my friend today. It's just too cold to get out in the shop tonight. I also decided to have CNC Werx do the finish machine work on my block instead of my local shop. That put me back a few days on getting the block back, as I had to ship my pistons out there. Oh well, all I've got is time.

Old 11-27-2018, 05:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Time is the TRUE currency! Looking forward to seeing the block..
Old 11-28-2018, 08:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Looking good, props to sticking with your plan of building the D.
Old 11-28-2018, 07:09 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Made some good progress this evening on the transmission. First thing I did was install the shift rod seal and complete the installation of the shift rod components. Next, I broke down the L3 transmission and pull the LSD out. I then swapped the ring gears so that the S20 ring gear is now on the LSD, and the L3 ring gear is on the open differential. As I was going to torque the diff bolts down, I realized my torque wrench only clicks in the right-hand tightening direction. I'm borrowing one tomorrow that will click in both directions.

Next I broke down both main shafts to swap over the carbon synchros, synchro springs, and synchro sleeves from the L3 to the S20. The L3 main shaft broke down completely by hand, while the S20 main shaft required use of my puller. I gripped under 4th gear and pulled 4th gear, 5th gear, and the 5th synchro hub all at once. All the synchros, springs, and sleeves transferred over from the L3 to the S20 except for the 3rd/4th synchro sleeve - the S20 sleeve worked on the L3 hub, but not the other way around. Because of this, I just ended up not swapping this sleeve.

Next I broke down both countershafts to swap over the carbon synchros, springs, and sleeve from the L3 to the S20. Both countershafts required use of the bearing puller. After removing the nut from the end of the countershaft, I used the puller to remove the snap-ring bearing by itself, then set the puller back up to grip under 4th gear and pull 4th gear, 5th gear, and the roller bearing all at once. From this point, the rest of the shaft broke down by hand. Both synchros, both springs, and the sleeve transferred over from the L3 to the S20. The L3 countershaft reassembled by hand except for the two bearings, which I drove on with a socket and dead blow hammer with little effort. Torque on the nut and stake it, and that one is wrapped up. For the S20 countershaft, I had to heat up 4th gear to get it to drop into place. 5th dropped on without heat. The roller bearing required heat as well. I got the wrong snap-ring bearing in my rebuild kit, so once the correct one arrives, I'll be able to finish assembling the S20 countershaft and the rest of the transmission.

mFactory LSD with S20 ring gear on the left, open differential with L3 ring gear on the right

Breaking down the main shaft.

Main shaft broken down far enough to get all the synchros and sleeves off.

Main shaft reassembled

Countershaft broken down.
Old 11-29-2018, 04:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Very nice, I really enjoyed doing the transmission work myself, not near as difficult to work on as I expected and very gratifying when it all worked at the end
Old 11-29-2018, 04:56 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Nice work! I contemplated rebuilding my trans; not any more. Gonna get that thought CLEAR out of my head now.. lol!

Search this Thread

Contact Us About Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: