Notices

DaX's D16Z6 turbocharger build - older, but maybe not any wiser

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 04:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: DaX's D16Z6 turbocharger build - older, but maybe not any wiser

I like your attention to detail. However, tell me the vacuum routing for the wastegate is temporary?
Old 07-18-2019, 05:05 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by AllMtrRex
I like your attention to detail. However, tell me the vacuum routing for the wastegate is temporary?
Nope, I had planned on leaving it like that. Why?
Old 07-18-2019, 06:04 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Assuming you could have went under the radiator support and fastened on the underside of it, instead of laying on top of it like that. Hood much clearance do you have with hood closed?
Old 07-18-2019, 07:03 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Assuming you could have went under the radiator support and fastened on the underside of it, instead of laying on top of it like that. Hood much clearance do you have with hood closed?
I did check hood clearance - the hood doesn't pinch the hose when fully shut. Not sure if that's how it should be or not since my car has had some front end damage in the past, but it does clear. I decided against going across the top of the radiator because of heat, and with the radiator and AC condenser, there isn't really room to come back out from under the radiator support. I may end up putting some heat sleeve on the lines as they go over the manifold.
Old 07-18-2019, 08:39 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by DaX
I did check hood clearance - the hood doesn't pinch the hose when fully shut. Not sure if that's how it should be or not since my car has had some front end damage in the past, but it does clear. I decided against going across the top of the radiator because of heat, and with the radiator and AC condenser, there isn't really room to come back out from under the radiator support. I may end up putting some heat sleeve on the lines as they go over the manifold.
My only critique on this routing would simply be length of the hose from the solenoid to the gate. If placement is good and the hoses won't get pinched, roll with it, but the length would be **my** only concern. That is all. Lol!
Old 07-19-2019, 02:30 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 218 Likes on 196 Posts

DaX, you can always use those one-hole plastic straps to keep the vacuum lines in place....even though it doesn't look like they're really going anywhere. LOL
Old 07-20-2019, 09:49 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Txdragon
My only critique on this routing would simply be length of the hose from the solenoid to the gate. If placement is good and the hoses won't get pinched, roll with it, but the length would be **my** only concern. That is all. Lol!
If it becomes an issue, I'll move it.

Originally Posted by NVturbo
DaX, you can always use those one-hole plastic straps to keep the vacuum lines in place....even though it doesn't look like they're really going anywhere. LOL
Yeah man, actually the two "zip ties" that are right in front of the radiator are those, so those hoses aren't moving.

I got my downpipe back from the guy at work yesterday, so I wrapped and sealed it yesterday evening. Despite wearing a long sleeve and gloves, I still managed to get itchy forearms, haha. This morning I installed the downnpipe, turbo blanket, oil return line, and the remaining charge pipe. I got the interior back together from pulling the sunroof, finished trimming and installing the bumper, filled the radiator, gapped and installed new plugs, and cranked it up! I let it idle until the fan came on to burp the cooling system and looked for leaks - there were none, which I was glad for!

Tomorrow morning I'm going to check timing and TPS and make sure they're right, then start gathering up tools, parts, etc. for my tuning session on Friday.

Down pipe before wrapping

Down pipe after wrapping and sealing

Coolant and water wetter

Sleeper-ish

Installation complete
Old 07-20-2019, 10:57 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Nice work DaX! You definitely have the sleeper look going on.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:29 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

My FMIC is similar to yours and I ended up drilling (4) 2" holes in front of the radiator for more airflow. I didn't do any temperature readings prior to but it seems there was some blockage there to the radiator itself.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

My FMIC is similar to yours and I ended up drilling (4) 2" holes in front of the radiator for more airflow. I didn't do any temperature readings prior to but it seems there was some blockage there to the radiator itself.
Where you running a D-series or B?
Old 07-20-2019, 04:53 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

D16y8
Old 07-20-2019, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

D16y8
Odd. I've never had any issues with cooling. Maybe I'm lucky. Lol!

Dax: Bud, that is so sleeper! Super clean. Excellent work, sir!
Old 07-21-2019, 04:58 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

Well done on your build man! Took your time and everything looks super clean! Now on to the dyno
Old 07-23-2019, 02:11 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Originally Posted by Txdragon
Odd. I've never had any issues with cooling. Maybe I'm lucky. Lol!

Dax: Bud, that is so sleeper! Super clean. Excellent work, sir!
It's not really an issue. I just figured some fresh air passing through the radiator is better than none.
Old 07-23-2019, 02:14 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It's not really an issue. I just figured some fresh air passing through the radiator is better than none.
You're right.. 50% of SOMETHING is better than 100% of nothing. Lol!
Old 07-23-2019, 06:13 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scottcraft
Nice work DaX! You definitely have the sleeper look going on.
Thanks!

I'm going to try avoiding drilling holes in the bumper at first. I opened up the grill some at the top so some of the fresh air coming in can go over the intercooler and right to the radiator. We'll see though.

Originally Posted by turboLScrx
Well done on your build man! Took your time and everything looks super clean! Now on to the dyno
Thanks!

OK, I'm curious about folks' input on the order that I've laid out for the next steps:

First, buy coilovers. I think I'm still on the original shocks. My #1 choice right now is Progress (350/350), but I've also heard a lot of folks talk about Koni/GC. Any thoughts/opinions for a 99.9% street car?

Second, buy wheels and tires. I'm looking at some Rota Slips and Nitto NeoGen tires (195/50/15).

Third, rear disc conversion? Again, mostly a street car - is this a good idea? If I do it, I'll go ahead and replace the trailing arm bushings.

Fourth, suspension bushings. I'm looking at the Hard Race rubber bushing kit.

Should I look into lowering the car any? If so, would I need to buy adjustable control arms (front/rear) and/or rear toe arms? I've never done any aftermarket suspension work, so this is a new world for me.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DaX
Thanks!

I'm going to try avoiding drilling holes in the bumper at first. I opened up the grill some at the top so some of the fresh air coming in can go over the intercooler and right to the radiator. We'll see though.

Thanks!

OK, I'm curious about folks' input on the order that I've laid out for the next steps:

First, buy coilovers. I think I'm still on the original shocks. My #1 choice right now is Progress (350/350), but I've also heard a lot of folks talk about Koni/GC. Any thoughts/opinions for a 99.9% street car? Both are great options, I think you would be happier with the Koni/GC setup.

Second, buy wheels and tires. I'm looking at some Rota Slips and Nitto NeoGen tires (195/50/15). Good choice, I would go with a 205/50 though.

Third, rear disc conversion? Again, mostly a street car - is this a good idea? If I do it, I'll go ahead and replace the trailing arm bushings. This is personal preference I feel, less maintenance with drums but improved braking with disc and easier maintenance when needed. You would also need a 40/40 prop valve.

Fourth, suspension bushings. I'm looking at the Hard Race rubber bushing kit. Hardrace seems to be the jam, I've never used any of their stuff but it seems like it holds up.

Should I look into lowering the car any? If so, would I need to buy adjustable control arms (front/rear) and/or rear toe arms? I've never done any aftermarket suspension work, so this is a new world for me.
Slight negative camber isn't going to hurt any, toe/caster is what is going to kill tires if not aligned properly. I'd get a set of rear toe arms and leave everything else as is, granted it's in good condition. A minor drop plus Koni/GC will improve your car feel significantly, I'd highly recommend doing so. I would plan on obtaining some new OEM rear lower control arm and toe arm bolts as they are typically a huge pain, especially if they've never been touched.
Old 07-23-2019, 07:09 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by maxwellmercer
Both are great options, I think you would be happier with the Koni/GC setup.

Good choice, I would go with a 205/50 though.

Third, rear disc conversion? Again, mostly a street car - is this a good idea? If I do it, I'll go ahead and replace the trailing arm bushings. This is personal preference I feel, less maintenance with drums but improved braking with disc and easier maintenance when needed. You would also need a 40/40 prop valve.

Fourth, suspension bushings. I'm looking at the Hard Race rubber bushing kit. Hardrace seems to be the jam, I've never used any of their stuff but it seems like it holds up.
Slight negative camber isn't going to hurt any, toe/caster is what is going to kill tires if not aligned properly. I'd get a set of rear toe arms and leave everything else as is, granted it's in good condition. A minor drop plus Koni/GC will improve your car feel significantly, I'd highly recommend doing so. I would plan on obtaining some new OEM rear lower control arm and toe arm bolts as they are typically a huge pain, especially if they've never been touched.
Got any recommendations for spring rates? I emailed GC also, so I'll see what they would recommend.

You think 205's will fit well on 15x6.5 wheels? I want to get the bronze slips, and I can only find them in 6.5" width, 40 offset.

Slight drop = 1-2 inches?

Thanks for the recommendation on the bolts...I'll add those to the list to buy once I'm ready to tackle that stuff.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:25 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

First, buy coilovers. I think I'm still on the original shocks. My #1 choice right now is Progress (350/350), but I've also heard a lot of folks talk about Koni/GC. Any thoughts/opinions for a 99.9% street car?

-- I have that setup on my Del Sol (Progress CS-II). Works fine and well worth the money. You can find a set for way cheaper than ones sold directly from Progress (even ones sold on HT).

Second, buy wheels and tires. I'm looking at some Rota Slips and Nitto NeoGen tires (195/50/15).

-- For the price of Slipstreams, you can get a set of JRW Aero's. Much lighter and not "played" out.

Third, rear disc conversion? Again, mostly a street car - is this a good idea? If I do it, I'll go ahead and replace the trailing arm bushings.

-- I thought yours was an EX model. Junkyard is your best bet.

-- That or Energy Suspension.

-- Just don't slam the car. A mild 1.5" drop should be fine. Drivability is always something to take into consideration...especially a boosted Honda.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:07 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

-- I have that setup on my Del Sol (Progress CS-II). Works fine and well worth the money. You can find a set for way cheaper than ones sold directly from Progress (even ones sold on HT).

-- For the price of Slipstreams, you can get a set of JRW Aero's. Much lighter and not "played" out.

-- I thought yours was an EX model. Junkyard is your best bet.

-- That or Energy Suspension.

-- Just don't slam the car. A mild 1.5" drop should be fine. Drivability is always something to take into consideration...especially a boosted Honda.
I'd be looking for a new set of coilovers, or a set locally that is used so that I can look at them before buying. Where can I find them cheaper? What spring rates are you running, and what do you think about them?

I don't mind Slipstreams being played out - I still think they look great and always wanted a set but never had them.

Mine is an EX. EX coupes have the larger front brakes, but still have rear drums. The Si (hatchback) had 4-wheel disc.

I'll take a peek at Energy, but I definitely want to stay with rubber bushings for driveability.

Yeah, I certainly won't be slamming it.
Old 07-23-2019, 12:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ex with ABS had rear disc I do believe..
Old 07-23-2019, 03:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

I second the Progress coil overs... I have them on two cars in my fleet and they are excellent. The Koni's have been rebuilt FOUR f***ing times on my RSX and I just tossed them in the trash...

The rear disc brakes will be better for the street... slightly heavier and the rears will need to be replaced more often than the drum shoes.

Camber correction is fairly inexpensive these days for 5G Civics... you will need adjustable upper control arms or adjustable control arm links for the front and adjustable upper camber arms for the rear. Hard Race replacement bushings are an excellent choice... and if you properly install them, Prothane or Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings will work equally as well and are much cheaper.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:05 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
I second the Progress coil overs... I have them on two cars in my fleet and they are excellent. The Koni's have been rebuilt FOUR f***ing times on my RSX and I just tossed them in the trash...

The rear disc brakes will be better for the street... slightly heavier and the rears will need to be replaced more often than the drum shoes.

Camber correction is fairly inexpensive these days for 5G Civics... you will need adjustable upper control arms or adjustable control arm links for the front and adjustable upper camber arms for the rear. Hard Race replacement bushings are an excellent choice... and if you properly install them, Prothane or Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings will work equally as well and are much cheaper.
Thanks. You think 350/350 for a street car, or 350/450? I guess I could always change springs out in either direction if I was unhappy. I'm leaning towards starting out with 350/350.
Old 07-23-2019, 04:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by DaX
Thanks. You think 350/350 for a street car, or 350/450? I guess I could always change springs out in either direction if I was unhappy. I'm leaning towards starting out with 350/350.
I bought some Progress CS2's with a sway bar and brace for my car. I'll have to look in the box to see my spring rates but I think I went heavier in the front than the rear. I haven't installed them yet so I can't say how they ride.

I checked the box, I've got 450 front 350 rear. If I remember correctly when I was reading to pick spring rates it was said a heavier front helped keep the front from diving in corners and the softer rear kept the ride somewhat soft.
Old 07-23-2019, 08:00 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Gc koni custom crates 350-450front 350-400 rear Gets my vote!
slips black with 205/50/15 225/50/15 also my vote

Last edited by KiNGDEE206; 07-24-2019 at 12:30 PM.

Quick Reply: DaX's D16Z6 turbocharger build - older, but maybe not any wiser