Notices

DaX's D16Z6 turbocharger build - older, but maybe not any wiser

Old 05-17-2019, 06:50 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts
Default Re: DaX's D16Z6 turbocharger build - older, but maybe not any wiser

Originally Posted by Txdragon
Yessir.. The SPAL fan is no joke. That little dude don't **** around. Lol! If for ANY reason I'm gonna see any issues with my ECT on my new setup, it'll be a new radiator and SPAL fan next. Stock has served me well though. Here's to hoping it holds out.

Your oil pressure is MUCH better now. Did you port and shim the new pump, or left it alone?
Depending on ECT and IAT after the turbo goes on, I may put spacers on the hood hinges and add ducting at the front. I left the OEM pump alone.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:08 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

Yessir.. The SPAL fan is no joke. That little dude don't **** around. Lol! If for ANY reason I'm gonna see any issues with my ECT on my new setup, it'll be a new radiator and SPAL fan next. Stock has served me well though. Here's to hoping it holds out.
They are 1000x better than those cheap Ebay ones. Hell, the one I have costs more than the aluminum eBay radiator. LOL
Old 05-17-2019, 08:31 AM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

Awesome progress!

I also used a come-along strapped to a tree to straighten out the front on my old del sol after I rear-ended someone

hey it works!
Old 05-18-2019, 08:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts

Originally Posted by DaX
I ordered the turbo kit today!

I just realized I missed this..... hell yeah brother!
Old 05-18-2019, 01:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by turboLScrx
How could you have missed this part?! I've been waiting for that particular post since the rest was announced completed. Lol!
Old 05-18-2019, 03:32 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
Awesome progress!
I also used a come-along strapped to a tree to straighten out the front on my old del sol after I rear-ended someone
hey it works!
Thanks man! It did work - that tiny come-along did better than I thought it would. I was nervous though - advancing it one click at a time and measuring each time!

Originally Posted by turboLScrx
How could you have missed this part?! I've been waiting for that particular post since the rest was announced completed. Lol!
Thanks guys!

I got the heat sheath installed on my AC lines and my daughter helped me charge it back up and it's blowing cool air again...just in time, it was over 85F today! She thinks it's awesome that the refrigerant cans get ice on them when we charge the system, and she likes running the scale. I was an idiot and was wrestling the heat sheath on with short sleeves and got fiberglass all in my forearms - it itched pretty bad, lol. I sleeved both the high and low pressure hoses, and the full length of the low pressure pipe that goes around the radiator. While I was at it I threw in new o-rings at all the joints. I'm hoping I don't have to run custom AC lines to clear everything, but I'm prepared to do so if that's what it takes to keep AC.

The oil pressure did dip back down to ~10 psi today, but it is only doing it now if the idle bogs from what I assume is a spike in electrical load. I'll try hooking the FITV back up and play with the IACV duty cycle some, but does anyone else have any ideas for helping to keep the idle from bogging down so hard when an electrical load kicks on? I'm also still getting a very very small leak from the radiator drain fitting - I think I'm going to have to pull the drain fitting out and put some teflon on it like it was intended to have.

Other than maaaaybe pulling the sunroof and going through it, I think I'm just going to drive and enjoy the car for the next couple of weeks until the go-fast parts get here.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I personally would toy around with the iacv duty cycle before reverting anything back.
Old 05-20-2019, 05:36 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Consult the factory service manual for an idle relearn procedure.
Old 05-20-2019, 11:35 AM
Honda-Tech Member

The idle will need to be adjusted for AC load. Remember the old wives tale of using more gas with the ac? Because the ECU will compensate for the idle drop, in turn, using more gas.. Anywho. This is normal and will take some adjustments to IACV duty cycle w/ac.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:02 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Flex fuel system shakedown went without a hitch. Yesterday I finished burning a full tank of ~E50 and filled back up with 93 (E10) and am back down to ~E20. For now until I get the turbo installed and get tuned, I'm just going to run 93.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:20 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
Flex fuel system shakedown went without a hitch. Yesterday I finished burning a full tank of ~E50 and filled back up with 93 (E10) and am back down to ~E20. For now until I get the turbo installed and get tuned, I'm just going to run 93.
And now... The waiting game.. lol!
Old 05-23-2019, 07:27 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

It's weird to not have much that needs to be done to the car. I'm going to drive it down to visit family this weekend (~150 miles each way). And regarding the idle, I've messed around with it some but not a bunch. I'm still planning to do the re-learn procedure and I'll just keep poking at it in SManager.
Old 05-23-2019, 07:38 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
It's weird to not have much that needs to be done to the car. I'm going to drive it down to visit family this weekend (~150 miles each way). And regarding the idle, I've messed around with it some but not a bunch. I'm still planning to do the re-learn procedure and I'll just keep poking at it in SManager.
Saying something like that is equivalent to asking, "What could go wrong next?!" That's some **** you don't say out loud! You may not have enough downtime though. When you've got time to think about it, you'll be CREATING **** to do. Lol! See.. From before, all I had to do was replace pistons. That's it.. I figured why not fuel system, why not new turbo parts, why not... 5 grand later, I'm cussing at myself for doing all this now I've got the wrinkles to iron out. Lol
Old 05-24-2019, 12:37 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Saying something like that is equivalent to asking, "What could go wrong next?!" That's some **** you don't say out loud! You may not have enough downtime though. When you've got time to think about it, you'll be CREATING **** to do. Lol! See.. From before, all I had to do was replace pistons. That's it.. I figured why not fuel system, why not new turbo parts, why not... 5 grand later, I'm cussing at myself for doing all this now I've got the wrinkles to iron out. Lol
You're right. I'm just going to shut my trap and enjoy driving the car, haha.

Maybe I'm looking at the wrong groups, or maybe I'm just getting old, but I'm not sure I can stand reading any more posts from the Honda FB group I joined this week to try out. Folks are literally talking about using ketchup to degrease their cylinder heads with, lol. My local cylinder head shop charges something like $30 to clean up a head.
Old 05-24-2019, 12:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I heard this ketchup thing recently too! Apparently it's supposed to work really good?
Old 05-24-2019, 01:46 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Most Honda Facebook groups are pretty bad. They tend to make me cringe.
Old 05-24-2019, 02:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Woah.. Really? I dont even use ketchup on my fries, let alone an engine degreaser.. Lol!
Old 05-24-2019, 03:21 PM
2x0
Honda-Tech Member

Received 70 Likes on 58 Posts

I’ve never been a FB user until recently, joined so I could check out the local “car scene” group for my city. FB seems to be mostly a bunch of high school kids who spent their parents money on their cars, but it’s a decent way to find good local resources for things.

For Honda stuff I would just stay here though
Old 05-24-2019, 06:24 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by 2x0
I’ve never been a FB user until recently, joined so I could check out the local “car scene” group for my city. FB seems to be mostly a bunch of high school kids who spent their parents money on their cars, but it’s a decent way to find good local resources for things.

For Honda stuff I would just stay here though
^^^ This.. I use the local FB stuff to source parts, that's about it. I've made some decent acquaintances along the way. For tech ****, I stay here. Lol!
Old 06-12-2019, 07:31 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Hondata question - I'm running an S300v3 and a PLX wideband. Wideband signal is going into AN1 on Hondata and narrow band signal is going to D14 on the ECU. Im currently running in open loop. PLX is grounded at the thermostat. When I datalog, the "AF" parameter is reading about 2 full points less than my wideband gauge. The AN1 parameter reads the same as my wideband gauge. I was trying to record a datalog and compare actual AFR with target AFR, but I can't figure out how to make Hondata log the data from AN1 instead of AF. On the "closed loop advanced" tab, there is no selection on the dropdown for wideband input to select the analog channels...only o2, eld, etc. Is there something I'm missing here? I may try asking on the Hondata board too.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:17 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

^^^ This.. I use the local FB stuff to source parts, that's about it. I've made some decent acquaintances along the way. For tech ****, I stay here. Lol!
I would steer away from that. I bought a "good" cylinder head from some local guy. Once I got home and thoroughly checked everything, one of the thread holes (where the valve cover bolts down) was jacked up. Wasted $50 and my time.
Old 06-13-2019, 02:42 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
Hondata question - I'm running an S300v3 and a PLX wideband. Wideband signal is going into AN1 on Hondata and narrow band signal is going to D14 on the ECU. Im currently running in open loop. PLX is grounded at the thermostat. When I datalog, the "AF" parameter is reading about 2 full points less than my wideband gauge. The AN1 parameter reads the same as my wideband gauge. I was trying to record a datalog and compare actual AFR with target AFR, but I can't figure out how to make Hondata log the data from AN1 instead of AF. On the "closed loop advanced" tab, there is no selection on the dropdown for wideband input to select the analog channels...only o2, eld, etc. Is there something I'm missing here? I may try asking on the Hondata board too.
In Neptune, the preferences section contains all the spots to do the logging from like you're looking for, it's not in the parameters section. I know it's a different system, but may be similar in setup? For mine, it's also where I put in my TPS configuration and such. I can also set when to auto log, analog input configuration, and a few other important functions. Wish I were better help here..
Old 06-13-2019, 12:22 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

In Neptune, the preferences section contains all the spots to do the logging from like you're looking for, it's not in the parameters section. I know it's a different system, but may be similar in setup? For mine, it's also where I put in my TPS configuration and such. I can also set when to auto log, analog input configuration, and a few other important functions. Wish I were better help here..
Well, it's time to crawl back under the dash. I got a response on the Hondata forum - they recommend using the analog inputs only for datalogging. I'm going to delete the narrow band signal to the ECU and run my wideband signal to D10.

Last edited by DaX; 06-13-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 08:05 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 794 Likes on 734 Posts

Originally Posted by DaX
Well, it's time to crawl back under the dash. I got a response on the Hondata forum - they recommend using the analog inputs only for datalogging. I'm going to delete the narrow band signal to the ECU and run my wideband signal to D10.
Good idea.
Old 06-17-2019, 12:25 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

I got my wideband signal moved from AN1 to D10 - now I can run closed loop without the car freaking out and my AFR is much closer to stoich (previously it was rich when running open loop). I did away with the narrow band signal from the PLX unit. Datalogging the AFR now works correctly and I was able to make some adjustments to my tune. I also installed an OEM valve cover gasket in hopes that it solves the pesky oil leak that developed. I bought some fire sleeve for my oil and water lines for the turbo and also 2 sets of BKR7E plugs. I'm hoping to hear some good news from Greg this week about the turbo kit shipping, and hoping to get it all installed and tuned by the end of July.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DaX's D16Z6 turbocharger build - older, but maybe not any wiser