Notices

DaX's D16Z6 turbocharger build - older, but maybe not any wiser

Old 05-13-2019, 05:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 286 Likes on 245 Posts
Default Re: DaX's D16Z6 turbocharger build - older, but maybe not any wiser

I couldn't imagine the headache of doing the oil pump with the engine still in the car.
Old 05-13-2019, 05:48 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

Originally Posted by Txdragon
I couldn't imagine the headache of doing the oil pump with the engine still in the car.
It took me about 4 hours. I was dreading it, but it went really smooth! Lots had to get out of the way to get to it, but being a fresh build, it was mostly clean and nothing was seized, haha.
Old 05-13-2019, 06:02 PM
O.G. triple O.G.

Received 217 Likes on 195 Posts

haha...DO NOT REMIND ME. I had to do that a month ago and it was not fun. Thankfully...no A/C compressor or P/S pump to deal with. And the V-band clamp on the downpipe made life so much easier than a header. LOL
Old 05-13-2019, 07:03 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
It took me about 4 hours. I was dreading it, but it went really smooth! Lots had to get out of the way to get to it, but being a fresh build, it was mostly clean and nothing was seized, haha.
I don't like any maintenance that requires removing that damn crank pulley. Lol!

Originally Posted by NVturbo
haha...DO NOT REMIND ME. I had to do that a month ago and it was not fun. Thankfully...no A/C compressor or P/S pump to deal with. And the V-band clamp on the downpipe made life so much easier than a header. LOL
I can imagine. I've removed my ac, really wish I could find a good condition manual rack so I could get rid of the ps as well. Less to fuss with overall. My setup now utilizes a V-band downpipe and V-band wastegate. I can tell that's gonna be a love/hate relationship, isn't it?
Old 05-14-2019, 11:50 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

I ordered the turbo kit today!
Old 05-14-2019, 01:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by DaX
When will you get it? I bet you are pumped!
Old 05-14-2019, 01:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
Hell yeah!!! Hopefully Greg had some shelf manifolds. Think it was 5 weeks(ish) for my hot parts.
Old 05-14-2019, 01:58 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by scottcraft
When will you get it? I bet you are pumped!
5-6 weeks, but I'm OK with that! This will give me some time to get a few things sorted out on the car, and some time to save the $ needed for tuning. Yes, pretty excited.

Hell yeah!!! Hopefully Greg had some shelf manifolds. Think it was 5 weeks(ish) for my hot parts.
That timing will work out well, I think.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:38 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Originally Posted by DaX
5-6 weeks, but I'm OK with that! This will give me some time to get a few things sorted out on the car, and some time to save the $ needed for tuning. Yes, pretty excited.

That timing will work out well, I think.
I figured they have plenty of kits in stock.

I can imagine. I've removed my ac, really wish I could find a good condition manual rack so I could get rid of the ps as well. Less to fuss with overall. My setup now utilizes a V-band downpipe and V-band wastegate. I can tell that's gonna be a love/hate relationship, isn't it?
I "had" PS on mine but I looped the lines via AN lines at the rack. Steering is fine the way it is now. As for the V-band clamps, I have it on the Tial wastegate as well. I like it way better than old bolt-on type. Visually, it looks nicer too.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I "had" PS on mine but I looped the lines via AN lines at the rack. Steering is fine the way it is now. As for the V-band clamps, I have it on the Tial wastegate as well. I like it way better than old bolt-on type. Visually, it looks nicer too.
I will be looking into this procedure you're referring to. Any pointers? I definitely agree about the visual appeal of the bands vs bolts.
Old 05-15-2019, 02:58 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Since I had plenty of -6AN straight fittings and hose lines left, all I bought was the fitting for the P/S rack. The loop line was about 10-13" long if I recall correctly. The following are the fittings you will need, besides the -6AN straight fittings. In my setup, I removed the entire setup, including all the lines, reservoir, etc.

Amazon Amazon
--- return fitting
Amazon Amazon
--- feed fitting

They do have some "delete kits" on eBay, if you don't have spare -6AN hoses and fittings
Old 05-15-2019, 03:19 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Since I had plenty of -6AN straight fittings and hose lines left, all I bought was the fitting for the P/S rack. The loop line was about 10-13" long if I recall correctly. The following are the fittings you will need, besides the -6AN straight fittings. In my setup, I removed the entire setup, including all the lines, reservoir, etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Aeroquip-FCM2.../dp/B003CLR5UW --- return fitting
https://www.amazon.com/Aeroquip-FCM2...omotive&sr=1-1 --- feed fitting

They do have some "delete kits" on eBay, if you don't have spare -6AN hoses and fittings
I found a write up that looks pretty good. Power steering delete DIY . If this would work, I already have that 1 fitting. I bought it to test its fit to the radiator drain valve and it fit but, the threaded section leaves open drain. Anywho. I am at a near stop on my progress from the stupid broken oil tee and the one I ordered won't be here til Friday. So this I can try!
Old 05-15-2019, 04:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I feel like there's no need to spend the money on a loop kit, it can potentially do more harm than good. With it being "sealed" off like that, if an air pocket is to occur, where will it go? You're better off either leaving the fittings open to atmosphere (I've been using this method for 8 years or so) or running an inline breather. I'm sure most people won't like this idea, but it makes sense if you think about it.
Old 05-15-2019, 04:53 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

I ordered some heat sheath for my AC lines today, so I'm hoping to be buttoning up the AC system this weekend. I plan to initially just sleeve both flexible hoses coming off the compressor and the suction pipe that goes around the radiator. I'm hoping to not need to sleeve the high pressure pipe since most of it runs in front of the condenser / radiator.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:37 AM
Honda-Tech Member

https://www.amazon.com/Aeroquip-FCM2.../dp/B003CLR5UW --- return fitting
https://www.amazon.com/Aeroquip-FCM2...omotive&sr=1-1 --- feed fitting

Was it hard to steer at slow speeds? I looped my em1 and in parking lots and slow corners it was a two hand operation to turn so I went back to power steering.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by DaX
I ordered some heat sheath for my AC lines today, so I'm hoping to be buttoning up the AC system this weekend. I plan to initially just sleeve both flexible hoses coming off the compressor and the suction pipe that goes around the radiator. I'm hoping to not need to sleeve the high pressure pipe since most of it runs in front of the condenser / radiator.
Wonder how well thermal exhaust wrap would work on them? I've used it on intake piping before and it helped eliminate heat soak pretty well.
Old 05-15-2019, 08:07 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Originally Posted by scottcraft
Was it hard to steer at slow speeds? I looped my em1 and in parking lots and slow corners it was a two hand operation to turn so I went back to power steering.
It wasn't hard at all.. I had to do the P/S delete with the engine already re-installed, which sucked. Yeah, that was one ordeal I should have done when the bay was empty.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:26 AM
Honda-Tech Member

It wasn't hard at all.. I had to do the P/S delete with the engine already re-installed, which sucked. Yeah, that was one ordeal I should have done when the bay was empty.
I did mine both ways with the engine in the car, I won't make that mistake again, lol.
It's interesting that yours isn't hard to steer. I'm wondering why mine was so hard. It was great at speed though.
Old 05-15-2019, 05:07 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

I feel pretty accomplished after this evening. I'm always super nervous about doing any kind of body repairs - it's just never been my strong suit. I borrowed a buddy's come-along and straightened out the core support some. I was able to pull the lower corner out by almost 2.5 inches - now the radiator and condenser sit much closer to where they should be - not perfect, but I think it will work. I also got the new Go-Autoworks radiator/shroud and SPAL fan installed.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Good work, sir!! Looks just fine.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

I figured they have plenty of kits in stock.
If we didn't sell such a variety of fitment options then there would be plenty in stock...that is something that is getting worked on/trimmed down. Which ETA also varies w/ time of the year... it's just that "time of the year"
Old 05-17-2019, 03:45 AM
O.G. triple O.G.

Totally understand.
Old 05-17-2019, 04:22 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Backyard body shop, I love it!!
Old 05-17-2019, 04:29 AM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

My heat sheath will be here this afternoon, so I should be able to get the AC and PS hooked back up by Sunday evening. I had to leave the crash bar off to get the bumper cover back on - if I end up putting the crash bar back in, it's going to take some hammering and cutting. I may just run without one all together since I'll be stuffing an intercooler in there. Or, maybe I can have a buddy fab one up for me.

I drove the car for about 10 minutes last night and I drove it to work today. At least initially, oil pressure looks MUCH better after changing to the OEM oil pump and to 10W-30 oil. Before, my cruising pressure was ~35-40 psi, now it's ~50-60 psi, and at idle my pressure would drop to 6-8 psi before, and now it's looking like ~15-20 psi. Also, no drips...well...almost. After sitting overnight there was one small drop of oil on the bottom of the pan, but nothing on the floor. I think I can call that a win.

I didn't put any pipe tape on the radiator drain fitting and it was leaking a little yesterday - maybe a teaspoon of coolant on the floor after sitting for ~20 hours. I tightened it all the way in (still no pipe tape) and it looks like it's not leaking any more. After the short drive last night I opened the hood and man, that SPAL fan was moving some serious air. My idle is still a little high, so I may route the coolant lines back to the FITV to see if it comes back down. I'm kind of thinking it's not closing all the way.

Originally Posted by maxwellmercer
Backyard body shop, I love it!!
Gotta do what you gotta do! I think it will be "good enough". I do wish I had a straight body, but oh well.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yessir.. The SPAL fan is no joke. That little dude don't **** around. Lol! If for ANY reason I'm gonna see any issues with my ECT on my new setup, it'll be a new radiator and SPAL fan next. Stock has served me well though. Here's to hoping it holds out.

Your oil pressure is MUCH better now. Did you port and shim the new pump, or left it alone?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: DaX's D16Z6 turbocharger build - older, but maybe not any wiser