Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   DaX's D16Z6 turbocharger build - older, but maybe not any wiser (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/daxs-d16z6-turbocharger-build-older-but-maybe-not-any-wiser-3329806/)

sleepencivic 04-19-2019 11:50 AM

Re: DaX's D16Z6 turbocharger build - older, but maybe not any wiser

if your using the stock feed line as the new return make sure you add some hose to the end of the nipple so the waterfall doesn't aerate the fuel and cause pressure fluctuations....run the hose down by the sock but not blasting it just like it was ran stock!

Originally Posted by DaX (Post 51908469)
^^Thanks for the suggestion on the caps, guys.

I've been working on the car the last couple of evenings. I had to get a buddy to weld an extension onto my FPR bracket so I could mount it here - the original holes in the bracket would have been right over where the wiper arm connects to the body and I couldn't have bolted through. I now have my flex fuel sensor where I want it and my braided return line from that to the stock hard line made. I'm waiting on my battery tray to be modified to add a mount for my fuel filter before I can finish plumbing the engine bay. Tonight I pulled the fuel pump hanger and installed the Walbro 450. I was going to build my own relay harness, but just broke down and bought the Burton Racing one - hope to start installing it tomorrow.
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...4ca19e4a77.png
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...9c3edd92dc.png

DaX 04-19-2019 12:46 PM

Good call, I remember reading that could be the case. I'm using the stock return line for now though, so I should be good.

DaX 04-21-2019 06:07 AM

While waiting on some parts, I'm going to swap in a 6th gen ICU to gain a "door open / lights on" chime and the wiper/washer function. I'm going to replace the electrolytic capacitor on the board and while I'm soldering, I'm going to replace the electrolytic capacitors on my tachometer board as well, because it's not reading correctly.

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...f5b2e8c466.png

NVturbo 04-23-2019 02:57 AM

Originally Posted by DaX (Post 51908117)
So I've got my intake manifold (stock Z6) off to make room for getting all my fuel upgrades on, and to clean up some of the engine bay wiring. I'm thinking of tapping / plugging the unused ports on the intake manifold and throttle body. Anyone else done this? Here's what I'm thinking:
  1. PCV nipple on intake manifold - cut off steel nipple, drill and tap for 1/8" NPT, plug it.
  2. Stock FPR nipple on intake manifold - I'm going to use the nipple that did go to the purge solenoid for the FPR since it will now be firewall mounted. For the old nipple, cut it off, drill / tap / plug, but what size? I don't think I can get a pipe tap that small. May just tap it one of the smaller metric screw sizes and plug it with a screw/bolt with loctite.
  3. Charcoal canister nipple on throttle body - this is before the throttle plate, so no issues driving around NA, but would be a boost leak once I'm turbo. Similar to #2, probably just cut it of, drill/tap/plug with M6x1.0 or something like that.

Thoughts?

I am using an Edelbrock Performer X (D16z6) on my setup and did kept some plugs on the underside. However, I didn't use any "Tee"s for vacuum because I don't like the look of them. All vacuum lines are individual, from component to the I/M.

As for your upgraded fuel pump setup, did you use a relay and larger power/ground wires? I'm currently using 10AWG and connected it to the distribution power block (Streetwires).

DaX 04-23-2019 03:33 AM

Originally Posted by NVturbo (Post 51915619)
I am using an Edelbrock Performer X (D16z6) on my setup and did kept some plugs on the underside. However, I didn't use any "Tee"s for vacuum because I don't like the look of them. All vacuum lines are individual, from component to the I/M.

As for your upgraded fuel pump setup, did you use a relay and larger power/ground wires? I'm currently using 10AWG and connected it to the distribution power block (Streetwires).

For now I'm just going to run the OEM Z6 manifold, and may consider upgrading sometime later if I feel like it's holding me back. Trying to keep project scope creep to a minimum here. :) Next on the list of purchases is the turbo kit, heat wraps, turbo blanket, fire sleeve, and a tuning session. There may be some incidentals sprinkled throughout that, but hopefully nothing as big as a manifold.

For the fuel pump, yes, I ended up buying the Burton-Racing fuel pump harness. I'll be running the power into the harness directly from the battery positive.

I did end up going ahead and pulling the trigger on an OEM oil pump to get that leaking Melling unit out of there. I also bought an OEM oil pan gasket, and some of this to fill back up with:

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...6c4858b21f.png

2x0 04-23-2019 04:32 AM

Good choice of oil :thumbup: I switched from Mobil 0w-40 to this and there is a noticeable reduction in chatter from the valve train. Holds about the same oil pressure.

DaX 04-23-2019 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by 2x0 (Post 51915661)
Good choice of oil :thumbup: I switched from Mobil 0w-40 to this and there is a noticeable reduction in chatter from the valve train. Holds about the same oil pressure.

I'll be changing to VR1 from Rotella Gas Truck 5W-30. Speaking of oil pressure, how low is too low at idle? I know bearing clearances and oil viscosity dictate everything, but I'm just looking for generalities. With my current oil, when I first crank my car and let it warm up, I may see oil pressures up above 80 psi, especially once I start driving it (not beating on it) before it's fully warmed up. Cruising pressures are ~60 psi. Once it's warmed up well past the coolant coming up to temperature, cruising oil pressure is ~40 psi, and sitting at a red light with lights and AC on (heavy load at idle), oil pressure may drop to ~8 psi. My dummy light isn't coming on with the pressure this low. It has flickered on once in a blue moon if the AC compressor kicks on at idle and the engine speed bogs, but it recovers almost instantly and/or a blip of the throttle brings pressure back up. I've currently got my oil pressure gauge set to flash red below 10 psi, just to warn me. I'm not turbocharged yet...don't know if that factors into the equation or not.

2x0 04-23-2019 07:11 AM

Turbocharging should have little to no effect on oil pressure if running a properly sized restrictor and water cooled turbo. It is, however, providing an additional pressure relief but should not be that noticeable, maybe a couple psi difference? If you are overheating the oil with the turbo, that changes things a bit. This is why I've typically run a little thicker weight in my oil-cooled only JB turbo cars.

That said, 8psi seems low, have you checked with a different gauge to be sure that is accurate? I haven't seen less than around 15-20psi at hot idle even with an oil cooled JB turbo.

DaX 04-23-2019 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by 2x0 (Post 51915810)
Turbocharging should have little to no effect on oil pressure if running a properly sized restrictor and water cooled turbo. It is, however, providing an additional pressure relief but should not be that noticeable, maybe a couple psi difference? If you are overheating the oil with the turbo, that changes things a bit. This is why I've typically run a little thicker weight in my oil-cooled only JB turbo cars.

That said, 8psi seems low, have you checked with a different gauge to be sure that is accurate? I haven't seen less than around 15-20psi at hot idle even with an oil cooled JB turbo.

Nope, haven't tried a different gauge but this one is BNIB purchased from AutoMeter. I guess it's not impossible - maybe my idle is set too low? I'm curious to see how switching from 5W-30 to 10W-30 affect it. It also may be something with the Melling oil pump that's in there now - like I said I'll be switching to an OEM pump (not shimmed or ported) in the next month or so. Once I get the fuel updates all buttoned up and the car is running again, I may make a video and post it.

AllMtrRex 04-23-2019 09:14 AM

Electronic oil pressure gauges are not the most accurate. Some may disagree. I would do a mechanical gauge reading to compare to your current readings before going any further with your build. 8 psi at idle is low.

DaX 04-24-2019 03:26 AM

Originally Posted by AllMtrRex (Post 51915923)
Electronic oil pressure gauges are not the most accurate. Some may disagree. I would do a mechanical gauge reading to compare to your current readings before going any further with your build. 8 psi at idle is low.

Yeah, I'll be looking into it before I get the turbo on there.

I got my Amazon square wave generator in the mail yesterday and it seems to work for testing the tachometer. I'm hoping this evening I can replace the capacitors in the tachometer and in the ICU and get both of those working and installed. My battery tray / fuel filter mount should be back today too, so I hope to finish upgrading fuel components and have the car back on the road this weekend.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...7c2fcab8e1.png

Txdragon 04-24-2019 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by DaX (Post 51916445)
Yeah, I'll be looking into it before I get the turbo on there.

I got my Amazon square wave generator in the mail yesterday and it seems to work for testing the tachometer. I'm hoping this evening I can replace the capacitors in the tachometer and in the ICU and get both of those working and installed. My battery tray / fuel filter mount should be back today too, so I hope to finish upgrading fuel components and have the car back on the road this weekend.

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...7c2fcab8e1.png

Oh damn.. Some weird science stuff going on here!! Excellent!

Txdragon 04-24-2019 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by DaX (Post 51915907)
Nope, haven't tried a different gauge but this one is BNIB purchased from AutoMeter. I guess it's not impossible - maybe my idle is set too low? I'm curious to see how switching from 5W-30 to 10W-30 affect it. It also may be something with the Melling oil pump that's in there now - like I said I'll be switching to an OEM pump (not shimmed or ported) in the next month or so. Once I get the fuel updates all buttoned up and the car is running again, I may make a video and post it.

Maybe even 10/40. I'd have to look back on your clearances but sounds like your oil may be running a touch thin.. I'm looking around myself for straight 40 or 50w, especially since summer is coming up. Found some VR1 50W readily available nearby, and not bad pricewise.. 7.99/Q.

turboLScrx 04-24-2019 05:56 AM

5-30 seems like it would be too thin for our area. I was told stay 10-30 or possible thicker

NVturbo 04-24-2019 08:18 AM

Nothing beats stock Genuine Honda parts, such as water and oil pumps as well as gaskets. If you change your mind about getting a turbo kit, let me know. My nephew can fab up a downpipe, manifold and W/G dump tube for your setup.

https://oi67.tinypic.com/10idtec.jpg

DaX 04-24-2019 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by NVturbo (Post 51916717)
Nothing beats stock Genuine Honda parts, such as water and oil pumps as well as gaskets. If you change your mind about getting a turbo kit, let me know. My nephew can fab up a downpipe, manifold and W/G dump tube for your setup.

Thanks man, I'll let you know if I change my mind.

I finished up my fuel upgrades this evening - I got the battery tray back from GAW with a bracket added for my fuel filter so I was able to mount the filter and make the last 2 fuel lines. I cranked the car briefly to set base fuel pressure to 43 psi, check for leaks, and verify the ethanol content gauge was working - everything checked out! I also recapp'd my 6th gen Civic ICU and almost finished recapping my tachometer - I accidentally bought a 47 uF capacitor instead of a 0.47 uF capacitor, so I'll have to wait to get the right capacitor to finish up the tach. OEM oil pump showed up today, as well as a new "false floor" for the trunk (not sure what it's called, but the carpeted hinged piece that covers the spare tire). I was surprised this was still available. I'll be replacing the oil pump sometime in the next month or two.

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...9fc8a61a89.png

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...0ca56d127e.png

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...b2b20312a1.png

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...2d61b3338f.png

https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...176d86e330.png

NVturbo 04-25-2019 03:10 AM

engine bay is lookin' proper. Do those gram fuel filters come with SS mesh filter??

DaX 04-25-2019 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by NVturbo (Post 51917220)
engine bay is lookin' proper. Do those gram fuel filters come with SS mesh filter??

Yes they do. I'm using the 20 micron SS filter, but they also carry a 100 micron as well. They state that they are rated for all fuel types.

NVturbo 04-25-2019 03:28 AM

gotcha...I recently had to upgrade the stock FF to a E85 compliant one. It wasn't fun. BTW, the fuel pressure gauge is upside down. LOL

DaX 04-25-2019 04:14 AM

Originally Posted by NVturbo (Post 51917226)
gotcha...I recently had to upgrade the stock FF to a E85 compliant one. It wasn't fun. BTW, the fuel pressure gauge is upside down. LOL

Haha, yep, wasn't sure anyone would notice. I put it upside down so it is easier to read when standing up. Otherwise I would have had to squat way down to read it in the range it will typically be in.

Did you find a stock style E85 filter or convert to a canister style filter?

maxwellmercer 04-25-2019 04:34 AM

Very clean progress! Really hoping the OEM oil pump helps with your oil pressure issues.

NVturbo 04-25-2019 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by DaX (Post 51917241)
Haha, yep, wasn't sure anyone would notice. I put it upside down so it is easier to read when standing up. Otherwise I would have had to squat way down to read it in the range it will typically be in.

Did you find a stock style E85 filter or convert to a canister style filter?

I'm using the canister style. The filter inside is a SS cartridge, not a mesh screen. 10 Micron with 8AN fitting ends. As for the FPR, mine is mounted directly behind the driver's side motor mount. The "Marshall" gauge hovers over the mount.

DaX 04-26-2019 03:27 AM

So I've got a question: My ID1000 injectors are the last piece of the fuel system I have left to install. I'd like to go ahead and install these and start using them to verify there are no issues and not be the guy who rolls up to the dyno with a bunch of untested shit. Is it as simple as installing them, changing the injector size in Hondata, and selecting ID1000 from the "injector dead time quick select list"?

Originally Posted by maxwellmercer (Post 51917254)
Very clean progress! Really hoping the OEM oil pump helps with your oil pressure issues.

Thanks man! Me too. Especially combined with a thicker oil.

scottcraft 04-26-2019 03:59 AM

I read this entire thread yesterday. Very interesting and nice work.

turboLScrx 04-26-2019 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by DaX (Post 51917972)
So I've got a question: My ID1000 injectors are the last piece of the fuel system I have left to install. I'd like to go ahead and install these and start using them to verify there are no issues and not be the guy who rolls up to the dyno with a bunch of untested shit. Is it as simple as installing them, changing the injector size in Hondata, and selecting ID1000 from the "injector dead time quick select list"?

Thanks man! Me too. Especially combined with a thicker oil.

that should get the car back to running with the new injectors, then you can start tuning again