Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   DaX's D16Z6 turbocharger build - older, but maybe not any wiser (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/daxs-d16z6-turbocharger-build-older-but-maybe-not-any-wiser-3329806/)

K7-1Ktrevor 02-13-2019 12:05 PM

Re: DaX's D16Z6 turbocharger build - older, but maybe not any wiser

He's talking about a cracked ring land giving excessive blow by, if you loose all your oil you'll have bearing/ crank issues as well. I wouldn't have an oil dump direct to the ground anyways, the racetracks get pissed off about that stuff because it can cause higher hp cars to wreck when they hit a slick spot.

AllMtrRex 02-14-2019 04:24 AM

Originally Posted by NVturbo (Post 51859958)
What's the difference between that and a hole in the block? If that does occur, oil will come out no matter what.

If you have a hole in the block, you will know. Therefore, typically one would pull over before going down the road or track spilling oil under your vehicle for some time. The way you have it (and several guys have it exactly the same way) You could be dumping oil into the breather tank and never know, and leaking it while driving some distance. There is no fix for this scenario except a drain back into the block which I don't like myself and if the block has a hole, that doesn't do much good.However, if it doesn't, it would just circulate the oil and little would spill. I prefer to keep the petcock/drain to catch some oil until I pull over when something doesn't seem right. The other fix would be a diaper or catch pan but who rides around with one of those on the street and it's not practical for every car that hits the track to have one as well.

I'm not saying it's done wrong, just saying it could cause serious oil down before you can pull over and assess the situation.

NVturbo 02-14-2019 07:56 AM

totally understand. I think the petcock that was on the CC didn't seal properly. Every now and then, it would leak out from the bottom under load. I've checked and it's just oily fumes coming from the hose.

DaX 02-14-2019 12:59 PM

My catch can setup has the bottom drain back to the block, at the location where the black PCV box used to be. I've also had more parts show up this week: wideband, some of the flex-fuel stuff, and a panel mount USB port.

DaX 02-17-2019 04:25 PM

I haven't been happy just having a USB cable laying in the passenger floor board so I ended up running a panel mount USB extension from the ECU over to the center console. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out, and you won't know it's there if you aren't looking for it. Now I just keep a 3 ft USB cable in the glove box and only pull it out when I need to plug into the ECU.

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...4423405c19.png

NVturbo 02-17-2019 04:34 PM

I would have used this instead...same concept, just cleaner look.

https://www.ocp.com/wp-content/uploads/green.png

Txdragon 02-17-2019 07:19 PM

Either way; pretty sharp. Think I'm gonna borrow this idea!
Looks good, Dax!

DaX 03-03-2019 10:03 AM

Parts have slowly been trickling in over the last few weeks - so far I've got a GE oil sandwich plate, PLX wideband, A-pillar gauge pod, flex fuel sensor/harness, and this week I should be getting my oil pressure and boost gauges in the mail. I ended up going with the Auto Meter digital stepper motor gauges. I'm planning to mount the oil pressure sending unit on the GE sandwich plate and block off the other port until I'm ready to route a turbo oil feed. I'll likely go ahead and do the cabin wiring for the boost gauge and install it ahead of the turbo kit (I know...the shame), but I will wait to decide on where I want to mount the sending unit until I'm getting ready to install the turbo. I'm planning to pull the engine wiring harness and run as much of the wiring (oil, boost, wideband, flex fuel) through the harness as I can for a clean look.

I'm hoping in about a month to be able to pull the trigger on the rest of my fuel system upgrades - pump, engine bay hoses, filter, regulator, pressure gauge, rail, and ethanol content gauge. That will just leave cooling system and exhaust, then I can start spending money on the go-fast parts!

NVturbo 03-03-2019 10:13 AM

you planning to go E85 or pump gas? I just swapped out the stock fuel filter for an upgraded 10 Micron inline unit. Flaring out the stock hard line sucked. If you don't get the end a perfect 37*, it will leak. Had to remove the damn throttle body just to gain working room. Yeah, I should have done this way earlier when the motor was out of the car.

DaX 03-03-2019 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by NVturbo (Post 51877209)
you planning to go E85 or pump gas? I just swapped out the stock fuel filter for an upgraded 10 Micron inline unit. Flaring out the stock hard line sucked. If you don't get the end a perfect 37*, it will leak. Had to remove the damn throttle body just to gain working room. Yeah, I should have done this way earlier when the motor was out of the car.

I'm hoping to have true flex fuel capabilities - it'd be nice to be able to just use 93 most of the time but do an E85 fill up every now and then and safely be able to put down more power. I've got one E85 pump about a mile from my office and pass another one on my way home from work. There's also a 110 pump right by my house, but that shit's stupid expensive. It really wasn't that much more $ to install the stuff to have the option for flex fuel, so I figured I'd go ahead and do it now.

Thanks for the heads-up on flaring the hard line - I was planning to use whatever fitting Greg uses - I thought it was a no-flare fitting, but it was just an assumption, and I may be wrong about that.

NVturbo 03-03-2019 11:01 AM

good thing you're near an E85 station. Ones near me are at least 25 miles.

Yeah, I heard about those "no-flare" fittings but I believe that's just for the return line. I have one for that. As for the feed line, it's hardline. I don't feel the need to be running braided line all the way from the fuel pump to the engine bay. That's unnecessary especially if the car isn't making 700/800hp.

DaX 03-03-2019 11:06 AM

Agreed - I'm planning to keep the stock hard lines under the car and just run braided lines in the bay.

Txdragon 03-03-2019 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by DaX (Post 51877242)
Thanks for the heads-up on flaring the hard line - I was planning to use whatever fitting Greg uses - I thought it was a no-flare fitting, but it was just an assumption, and I may be wrong about that.

Yessir. If you're doing the Russell fuel filter swap, the fitting is a no flare straight, connected to the hardline. Like this one..
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...d7c95fbde7.jpg
for the return, it's a different fitting. I just used standard line clamps though. Still holds like factory.

NVturbo 03-03-2019 12:27 PM

^^^ I should have went with that instead. Damn, wasted $30 for the Summit Racing flare kit. :(

If it starts to leak again, I will definitely go with that instead. Might cut the line near the return line

NVM....I just ordered one from Amazon. lol

For the return, I'm using this Russell piece. 6AN to 1/4"

https://static.summitracing.com/glob...1303_OH_ml.jpg

DaX 03-03-2019 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Txdragon (Post 51877262)
Yessir. If you're doing the Russell fuel filter swap, the fitting is a no flare straight, connected to the hardline. Like this one..
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/honda-t...d7c95fbde7.jpg
for the return, it's a different fitting. I just used standard line clamps though. Still holds like factory.

Sweet, that's what I'll use.

Originally Posted by NVturbo (Post 51877320)
For the return, I'm using this Russell piece. 6AN to 1/4"

https://static.summitracing.com/glob...1303_OH_ml.jpg

Yeah I've got fittings like that on my flex fuel sensor.

NVturbo 03-03-2019 12:53 PM

at first, I was skeptical about using that particular fitting on the return line. To my surprise, it didn't leak at all.

Txdragon 03-03-2019 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by NVturbo (Post 51877338)
at first, I was skeptical about using that particular fitting on the return line. To my surprise, it didn't leak at all.

I won't know for a a while yet if I'll have any leaks. I don't **think** so, each fitting held pretty well with a good tug after assembly. **shrug** My luck, I'll have a fucking lawn sprinkler of 93 octane under my hood ..

NVturbo 03-03-2019 01:26 PM

haha...yeah, fuel fittings are always a toss up. When it looks all tight and shit....it leaks. When it looks so-so, dry as the Sahara Desert.

Autoworks 03-04-2019 05:13 AM

Cut the fuel line straight and debur it, tighten and it will be leak free.

NVturbo 03-05-2019 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by Autoworks (Post 51877626)
Cut the fuel line straight and debur it, tighten and it will be leak free.

I did that the first time and it leaked when I turned on the engine. "Re-flaring" the end of the line did the trick.

DaX 03-06-2019 12:06 PM

OK, so as I'm getting closer to taking the next steps, I'd like some input on turbo selection. My car will be 99% street driven and so far is a built D16Z6, no porting on the head, stock intake manifold. I'll be set up for a water cooled / ball bearing turbo. I'm wanting to retain AC and PS, am planning on using the Go-Autoworks SX500 kit, and will likely just initially have it dyno tuned on 93 octane. My goal is 300-350 whp on the 93 octane tune. Greg had originally recommended the TNX 20/60 for this build, but I think my goal was 250-300 when we were talking about it. I'd like to hear some opinions from the experts (including Greg again) on this turbo or if you have other suggestions based on my goals. Will this turbo get me there and have maaaybe a little room to grow if/when I tune on E85?

Txdragon 03-06-2019 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by DaX (Post 51880359)
OK, so as I'm getting closer to taking the next steps, I'd like some input on turbo selection. My car will be 99% street driven and so far is a built D16Z6, no porting on the head, stock intake manifold. I'll be set up for a water cooled / ball bearing turbo. I'm wanting to retain AC and PS, am planning on using the Go-Autoworks SX500 kit, and will likely just initially have it dyno tuned on 93 octane. My goal is 300-350 whp on the 93 octane tune. Greg had originally recommended the TNX 20/60 for this build, but I think my goal was 250-300 when we were talking about it. I'd like to hear some opinions from the experts (including Greg again) on this turbo or if you have other suggestions based on my goals. Will this turbo get me there and have maaaybe a little room to grow if/when I tune on E85?

Take the next step up to 30/60

DaX 03-16-2019 07:13 AM

Well, I pulled the trigger today on everything I was lacking to complete Phase 2 of the build - fuel system, exhaust, and cooling system upgrades. I already have gauges and started working on getting those installed today. I've enjoyed planning out the wiring for everything, and am planning on installing a small 6-fuse block and a relay for 12V switched distribution and a relay for the fuel pump. I'm still trying to decide where to locate this, though - was hoping for under-the-dash, but there isn't much room there unless I put it in the glove box.

Once the radiator arrives, my buddy is going to help me cut out the lower core support and weld a bar in - this car has been hit in the front and it has the radiator and AC condenser pushed back a little - I think replacing the lower portion of the core support will help straighten everything back up and make sure I have room for the turbo. Other than small things here and there, all I've got left to buy is the turbo kit and a dyno session. Getting all this stuff installed ahead of the turbo kit should keep me busy for a while!

Txdragon 03-16-2019 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by DaX (Post 51889242)
Well, I pulled the trigger today on everything I was lacking to complete Phase 2 of the build - fuel system, exhaust, and cooling system upgrades. I already have gauges and started working on getting those installed today. I've enjoyed planning out the wiring for everything, and am planning on installing a small 6-fuse block and a relay for 12V switched distribution and a relay for the fuel pump. I'm still trying to decide where to locate this, though - was hoping for under-the-dash, but there isn't much room there unless I put it in the glove box.

Once the radiator arrives, my buddy is going to help me cut out the lower core support and weld a bar in - this car has been hit in the front and it has the radiator and AC condenser pushed back a little - I think replacing the lower portion of the core support will help straighten everything back up and make sure I have room for the turbo. Other than small things here and there, all I've got left to buy is the turbo kit and a dyno session. Getting all this stuff installed ahead of the turbo kit should keep me busy for a while!

Sweet! What turbo did you end up with?

DaX 03-16-2019 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by Txdragon (Post 51889425)
Sweet! What turbo did you end up with?

I bought everything EXCEPT the turbo kit. Fuel, exhaust, cooling, etc. Once I get all that here and installed, hopefully I'll have the $ to buy the Go-Autoworks kit - likely sticking with the TNX 20/60. :)