Notices

the DARKSIDE calling my name?? Opinions wanted.

Old 04-01-2004, 02:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default the DARKSIDE calling my name?? Opinions wanted.

So Ive been thinking about it a lot lately. Funding isnt right just yet, but will be soon and would make for a nice project this fall/winter. Tossing some ideas around regarding the motor itself, tell me what you think.

Currently Im running a mildly built ITR, all motor. Nothing too crazy, a little more compression and bigger cams, putting down about 205 at the wheels, mildly tuned. Its nice, but I think Im ready for some big power in the name of b00st.

Potential goal: around 500+whp, AEM EMS tuned

Block: Should I stick with the 1.8L or find a 2L block? Ive heard two different stories, one being that the 2L block is actually weaker because its thinner. And I think Ill be able to get enough power out of the 1.8L anyway. So Im leaning towards 1.8, probably a GSR block. Im guessing Im gonna want around 25psi or so to reach 500whp, so obviously sleeves will be installed. Should I stick with the GSR crank? And around what compression pistons(forged of course) should I go with?

Head: Either get another cheap B16 head, with some light headwork done, and stock setup for the valvetrain. Or, should I stick with the ITR head with big *** cams and slight port job? Ive heard two stories to this as well as far as using bigger cams on a turbo application. Give me your 2 cents on that. Attached to the head will be a JG manifold which I currently have on my R with 70mm TB.

The rest: I havent even thought this far ahead. I dont know enough about the different turbos available and would find out more about that in the future. Obviously Id need a nice FMIC set up, injectors, axles, etc but Id worry about that when the time comes.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:38 PM
DaX
Honda-Tech Member

Received 662 Likes on 524 Posts

If you're going to sleeve the block, it really doesn't matter what block you get. Get the cheaper block in that case [that is, unless you desire to use the oil squirters in a VTEC block].

You're going to need a lot more than what you listed. Stuff like engine management, oil feed/return lines, and a TON of incidentals. Trust me, I've been assembling my kit for 2 full months now and originally anticipated having it installed 2 weeks ago! I'm almost done scraping together parts, but geez, there are so many small things you WILL overlook. I guess all I'm trying to say is just be prepared to spend money.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

yeah I know about all the little things that will be needed. And Ill just be using my AEM EMS to tune it so thats taken care of. Im just not sure about the block I wanna use. I wanna use whatever block has the best crank. I know the GSR crank is lighter, but the ITR crank is more "refined". I dont know **** about the 2L crank.
Old 04-01-2004, 02:50 PM
I ask Twitter, not xtrac1

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: (RTW DC2)

Run the 1.8 gsr. If you are going with a different head like the b16 head, light port work is needed. I myself would use a GSR head, stock cams with light port work. A full race turbo kit, and a whole lot of fuel. Dont skimp on the fuel man. SOOOOOOO dangerous. What is your comp ratio. I would go 9.5. The stock gsr crank with some new oem honda bearings is all you are gonna need. Hope this helps.
Old 04-01-2004, 04:28 PM
* B A N N E D *

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: (rico91stang)

well your gonna need sleeve reguardless...

you want that torque.. get the crv block.. and since your gonna sleeve the cracking sleeve is not a prob...a nice set of rods and piston.. i would suggest stay in the 9.5 : 1 area.... and as for the head... slap a vtec head if you like.....you can prolly get a blown CRV block for like 2 bills and a b16 head for like 4 bills...sleeves and internals your looking at 2g's with installation...

even the regular tuneup stuff will get you too..

timing belt water pump oil pump plugs wires cap & rotor and so on...

from the way i see it you can try to sell yoour set up to some1 that already has a built motor and so on....but i can see you spending 6g's easily putting a turbo kit and built motor together ...
Old 04-01-2004, 04:52 PM

i'd say keep the ITR motor in the garage or sell it - building it for boost will drop its value and you can do the same things with a fully built gsr well good luck with the setup, i definately think the darkside is calling your name! just don't get in over your head - fully built motors and turbo setups for 500hp gets quite costly.
Old 04-01-2004, 05:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks for the input so far. if I wanted to turbo the R chassis the I would probably take the motor out and put it in my hatch. or if Im gonna build another motor from scratch then I would probably throw it in my hatch and keep the R as the daily driver lol.

I know some people so I think I can get some decent hookups on parts. so if i can spend 5gs then thats still less than I spent on my ITR buildup.

what do you guys think about using bigger cams with a turbo set up? if I decided to use my current ITR head then I could easily use the cams as well. Ive heard that using bigger cams takes more tuning but can be done and will make more power just like they do in all motor set ups.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:56 PM

Stock GSR cams are good enough for you power goals. 500 hp is in the 20's with boost pressure though.
Old 04-01-2004, 08:59 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by rico91stang &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Stock GSR cams are good enough for you power goals. 500 hp is in the 20's with boost pressure though.</TD></TR></TABLE>
fully built w/ sleeves 20psi isn't going to be an issue
Old 04-01-2004, 09:50 PM

Default Re: (B18bEK)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by B18bEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">fully built w/ sleeves 20psi isn't going to be an issue </TD></TR></TABLE> But its gonna be bank!
Old 04-02-2004, 03:40 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Ryan if you need any help with it let me know .

IMO 2.0l is over rated. you dont really need it , plenty of people doing more power on less. **** Boosted is doing 600+hp on 1.7 l
the cams will be iffy, but might work . all depends on tuning.

you will spend at least $5gs on turbo stuff alone if you want decent stuff. the block expect to pay around $3k or so . if you get hookups it will be a little less, but dont expect to do it all on $5k . if it was that easy everyone would have a 500whp honda
Old 04-02-2004, 07:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

pete when the time comes, Ill definitely be getting in touch with you.

I might be able to score a complete custom drag 3 set up with all the goodies for about 2500 so we will see
Old 04-02-2004, 07:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

its not too bad. but it wont make the power you were referencing unless the turbo and possibly the intercooler were upgraded. . . anyway let me know when the time comes.
Old 04-02-2004, 07:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Wouldnt it be cheaper to just piece together a kit, and get the turbo and intercooler that you need to run 25 lbs of boost? As far as i kno...nobody makes a bolt on kit to handle those numbers anyways.
Old 04-02-2004, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (phatrick2332)

Its not a bolt on "kit". And that person told me the turbo was good for about 500hp. but if thats the "max" the turbo is set up for, then obviously it will stress the turbo and probably not last long if Im trying to make that kind of power regularly. so I might just get something capable of more power.