Notices

Dare I ask? SS Autochrome!???

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2005, 07:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dare I ask? SS Autochrome!???

yes yes i know, ive searched and read aboutthe reputation of these turbo kits. I have no intention of purchasing one at all, or any turbo kit for that matter...but just out of curiosity....what type of numbers are people making with these kits!

This may be a waste of space to some people, but just as a frame for reference...name your motor, boost level, and any other pertinent information if you are running the kit.

Old 12-11-2005, 07:41 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dare I ask? SS Autochrome!??? (StreetEG)

I gave my stock HX motor to a friend and he boosted it with an SS Autocrap kit. The car made 216whp (10psi) with a mean sputter @ 5krpm and no tuning at all.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

anything can make power... its just the quality of the parts that are crap.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (dunkd)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by dunkd &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">anything can make power... its just the quality of the parts that are crap.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yup, he's manifold cracked several times, and the turbo seals went bad really fast.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Location: Destroying turbo ITR motors in Minneapolis, MN, U.S.A.
Default Re: (EVIL Hx Coupe)

Semi-related, but a local EG hatch here (84mm JDM GSR, GT35R, AEM, etc.) put down 591whp/428tq with an OBX ramhorn manifold...

Old 12-11-2005, 07:56 PM

I know some kid who bought one of those XS Turbos. He obviously isnt the brightest crayon in the box. Needless to say i wasnt suprised when he had the seals blow out within the first few hours of driving the car. It was on 7-8psi of boost to...

SSauto = Thumbsdown
Old 12-11-2005, 08:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Boosted1g)

Ive had my ssauto mani on my h22 for almost half a year, no cracks, no leaks, no problems. Talk all the **** you want, when u do a turbo kit right metal is metal. O ya i did not even brace the mani. haven't tried anything else from them but they get a from me for this mani that i got for $100.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:36 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (92h22alude)

I decided to pay the extra money for piece of mind. how do u feel driving your car and thinking in the back of your head, "I hope my manifold doesnt crack like that other guys did".

Your only as strong as your weakest part.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I dont need to think of that. I believe its in the way the turbo sits on the downpipe and exhaust that makes it crack. Ill let you know if it ever cracks.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:24 PM

i have seen good and bad! notice i said seen not heard or read two buddys have the full ss kit i have seen the manifold crack( i would buy one and just rebrace it) and i have seen one turbo=****! it hasnt blown but it gets blow buy and everythign else like no other sputters this and that i wouldnt mind buying a manfold or the piping-intercooler or any other parts i just wouldnt want the turbo!
Old 12-11-2005, 11:08 PM

I too have seen the wastegate elbow fall off. I personnaly think that the material they make it out of is way to thin. Its like the same thickness as a dc sport header. Plus the weight of the turbo plays a big part in it. not to mention that when your driving the manifold is doing nothing but expanding and contracting.....so if that manifold isnt strong enough she will soon pop. But I do have one of there wastegates that seems to work fine on 10psi with no spiking.
Old 01-06-2006, 04:33 PM

Default Re: Dare I ask? SS Autochrome!??? (D-meet07)

Dahhh, I love my ss autochrome manifold even tho she does me wrong I give her a little patch and there she off again,
Budget build when u got a welder and ur in bussiness
Old 01-06-2006, 05:15 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Dare I ask? SS Autochrome!??? (R6E6I6D)

I think the little brace form the wastegate flange to the turbo flange might be causing the stress failures that is was intended to prevent.
Old 01-06-2006, 06:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dare I ask? SS Autochrome!??? (R6E6I6D)

haha mine cracked just like that one

I had the SSAC manifold, wastegate and turbo,
made 240whp and 167 ft/lbs at 8psi on a stock b16

Cracked the manifold like 3-4 times in total... once the wastegate and flange cracked right off...

ran all this **** for 1 season, and then at the end of the season, the turbo started puttin oil through to the exhaust side
Old 01-06-2006, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dare I ask? SS Autochrome!??? (Topdawgg)

I will be runing the OBX mani and down pipe.The way I figure, Ill run it until it cracks and then use it as a template to have made for cheap.
I cant see having too many problemes with the DP abd it even comes with a flex pipe.
It all works out.
Old 01-07-2006, 01:47 PM
Honda-Tech Member

why not build a custom manifold? I heard a story that the inducer was rubbing on the housing and they grinded away the peice that was rubbing and turbo is still running big deal if the seals blow take apart the turbo and replace the seals 400$ far a kit wit wg and bov with fitting and hardware to me is a good deal I am going to try out an xs power or ss kit IMO
Old 01-07-2006, 02:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Can't you get a spoolin performance log mani for like $300, so thats like maybe $200 more than SS autocrap. Thats the difference in like, a greddy BOV to an HKS, and a MBC to like a Profec B.
Old 01-07-2006, 04:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

if u put a restrictor on these turbos will they still blow out?
im pretty garret says that the turbos dont want more an 30psi, im sure that goes for these shityy ssac ones also
Old 01-07-2006, 08:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Dare I ask? SS Autochrome!??? (nickromeo)

buddy of mine put a SSAC kit on his B16 hatch......put the kit on and imediately drove it to the dyno the same day.....within the first hour on the dyno the WG was spiking to 13psi (WG spring was 6psi) car had to be tuned at 1/2 throttle and made 245 at a 9psi spike. but when it went to 13psi it made 310, lol. SSAC = no bueno
Old 01-07-2006, 09:00 PM

Default Re: Dare I ask? SS Autochrome!??? (SingleCammin)

stupid stupid, ss autochrom sends out their wastegates prepacked with the 14 psi spring and if u order the *5.5psi spring it is the red one which is not included, I have had no problems with boost spike correct me if im wrong but ive searched nad they prepack em incorrectly that was prolly ur buddys "spiking" problem...
Old 01-07-2006, 11:48 PM

ss auto crapp it is. i just purchase a exteranl boost controller it better work or im reporting there ***'s to paypal, bitchesssss
Old 01-08-2006, 07:16 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (lloydadvance)

Does anyone else ever think that SSAC should be charged for advertising on this forum? It is a shame that a business with some of the worst business practices and even worse products gets such significant exposure while the other hard working (and hard paying) businesses have to do everything they can to even come close to matching the exposure SSAC receives on here.

I know this isnt my board and I may be stepping on toes, that wasn't my intention. I just thought I would share my perspective

-bill
Old 01-08-2006, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I already knew that SSAC is pretty cheap, but I haven't heard 1 good thing about their product and I'm starting to become reluctant to buying a kit from them! I figured they can't be that bad but EVERYONE says there **** personally for the price I still might buy one
Old 01-08-2006, 08:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ssautochrome has had some problems in the past with the first generation of manifolds they put out, but their newer products are great for the price.

alot of the reason people in the import comunity talk down on them is because they have a retarded mindset that you have to spend $900 on a manifold for it to perform. we drive economy cars... cheap is the name of the game.

also, alot of the big name guys dont like teh competition. when they were the only ones in the game, it was easy to get $1000 out of a manifold that took 5 hours to make, but now that theres cheaper products out there, they feel threatened.

if you notice, the vast majority of the ssauto bash threads are from some guy who's buddys' brothers cousins friends homie bought the part and it exploded in 12.4 seconds after installing it.

I personally have used ssautochrome wastegates, turbos, manifolds, blow off valves, and intake manifolds and have not had one single problem.

am i saying their products are better than full race or other big dawgs? no. am i saying that they are alot cheaper and will do the job unless you're very **** about "name brand" stuff? yes.

people say their customer service is bad... but if you look at the amount of business they do, the amount of negative things said are very small.

in the end, ssauto provides a cheap product of decent quality and some idiot installs it wrong and it breaks and blames the company (this even happens with high end products as people dont like to admit when they are at fault... they instantly blame the manufacturer)
Old 01-08-2006, 08:59 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: (91civicDXdude)

i agree^

Quick Reply: Dare I ask? SS Autochrome!???