Notices

Damn still having issues, need some more ideas

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2002, 10:04 AM
New User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Damn still having issues, need some more ideas

Here's my previous post:

Well I've been trying to dyno my car and get it tuned. I've made several(90 plus)runs, but have yet to get past 6700 rpms. At 5400 I get a funky dip then jumps back up and takes off again. Then at 6400 rpms it dips again and starts to come back, but it looks like detination on the charts. So we've pulled plugs check exhaust color and queues for detination, but come up with nothing. I've tried adding timing and taking it out, but nothing. I leaned it out to 12.2-12.3:1 and nothing happened, well gained more power through that range, but not much. So in the process of trying to eliminate the culprit, I've swapped my MSD 6A for a 6AL, changed my coil to a new unit, changed my plug wires, changed the gap on my plugs, changed plugs, relocated my 3 bar map away from the battery and fuse box, re-wired the msd stuff to make sure nothing was wrong, check and cleaned the rotor in the dist, installed my IAT in the intake pipe in factory/stock location next to the throttle body. Nothing this morning still studders up top it very noticable to feel and hear. I can't figure out what else would/could be causing this. I'm looking for a stock LS 96-up dist to swap out for mine to do a few runs and see if that makes a difference. I've had people tell me to replace the ignitor and rotor. The rotor had visible signs of wear, it was like cigerette ashes on the front side of the rotor, I was told to scrap it off. When I did this the car seemed to run better for the time being, but it's now back to the same stuff. The MSD cap I have has visible wear on the metal prongs that are in the cap so I don't know if the rotor might have done damage

Well I disconnected the MSD stuff yesterday and put a stock distributor on and took the car for a spin. Nothing changed it still hessiates/misfires in the same area's. So I'm out of thoughts on my own. Here are some other peoples opinions:

1. injectors are to big(800 cc)
2. timing belt off
3. valves to tight
4. bug in program(i'm leaning towards this now)
5. intake piping vs air flow turbulance(kinda like the long CAI issues for n/a guys)
6. short downpipe(only goes to axle/back of oil pan, plus it's dented to squeeze by oil return line)
7. 3 bar could be faulty
8. fuse box could be running interference w/MSD 6AL
9. radio/interference from something next to the injectors, map, or resistor box.

I think that's all, I know this is long, but not as long as I've waited to drop the hammer to 8k on my baby. So if you have any ideas please let me know. Thanks Allen