Notices

Dagnabit. This might explain the "sighing" noise after boosting...PICS

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dagnabit. This might explain the "sighing" noise after boosting...PICS

So, when I start boosting and then let off the gas, the bov does its thing, but recently I started hearing quite an audible "sighing" noise, too. I decide it's probably a leak so I pop the hood and start checking connections. This is what I found. If anyone can help point me in the direction to fix it, that would be terrific.

Pic 1. The Offending Piece. This line goes to the map sensor with all the valves on it.

Pic 2. The Dreadful Realization. It practically fell out when I touched it!

Pic 3. Sorta redundant, but you get a shot of my fingers. Yay.

Can anyone help me identify what needs to be replaced? Like the red nipply thing, and also what appears to have been some kind of adhesive stuff around it? I'm assuming the adhesive stuff failed.

Thanks for any help!
Old 03-22-2003, 04:30 PM

Default Re: Dagnabit. This might explain the "sighing" noise after boosting...PICS (JustAnotherHonda)

Make your self a little plate to cover the hole and use the two bolts from the map sensor to hold it. Then drill or tap a hole for a metal vaccum fitting into it. All the parts might cost $7. I did this last year and has been working great so far.
Old 03-22-2003, 04:38 PM

Default Re: Dagnabit. This might explain the "sighing" noise after boosting...PICS (hybrid901)

Ah, excellent. All these thing are available from Home Depot, I assume?

Not to let my ignorance shine through too much here are a couple of other questions for any who can answer:

1) So those screws alongside the vacuum line were actually used to fasten a different line prior to the turbo?

2) A steel plate will do? I'm not sure how much heat runs through the intake manifold, so I don't want anything to melt or something.

Thanks again.
Old 03-22-2003, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Dagnabit. This might explain the "sighing" noise after boosting...PICS (JustAnotherHonda)

It doesn't get hot enought to melt anything. They were used to hold the map sensor.
Old 03-22-2003, 05:45 PM

Default Re: Dagnabit. This might explain the "sighing" noise after boosting...PICS (hybrid901)

sorry, but what kind of piping is that
Old 03-22-2003, 06:05 PM

Default Re: Dagnabit. This might explain the "sighing" noise after boosting...PICS (94goldjungsr)

Sorry, I'm not sure how to answer that question. It's the same sort of black rubber piping that I got with my JoeP MBC. It's nicely flexible, but pleasantly firm at the same time.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:08 PM

i meant the IC piping
Old 03-22-2003, 06:12 PM

Default Re: Dagnabit. This might explain the "sighing" noise after boosting...PICS (94goldjungsr)

Hmm... I'm not sure. All I can tell you is that it is the charge pipe that came with the Rev Hard 2 kit. I'm sure someone here with more experience than I can give you more specifics. Its material reminds me of my AEM cai I had prior to the turbo.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I think he's asking about the piping, not the coupling.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:22 PM

Default Re: Dagnabit. This might explain the "sighing" noise after boosting...PICS (Hatchblack)

That's what I figure. I think I gave a correct, if not substantial, answer.
Old 03-22-2003, 06:36 PM

Default Re: Dagnabit. This might explain the "sighing" noise after boosting...PICS (jz)

No, I did not install the turbo kit myself. Although I wish I had been able to. As I mentioned in my first post, the line does go to the MAP sensor with a series of check valves along the way.

I would love to re-place the map sensor where it should go. If I'm going Hondata in a couple of months is it a waste to get the Missing Link? I didn't think it'd be needed with the Hondata.

I'll do a more specific search for the Missing Link to get more info about it. If anyone feels inclined, feel free to post more info about the Missing Link and its relation to the check valves.

Thanks, for the info jz