Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   D16Z6 turbo build help (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/d16z6-turbo-build-help-3197830/)

Singlebangin94 03-10-2014 11:39 AM

D16Z6 turbo build help

Welp here we go.
Let me start off by saying I am somewhat new to Honda game. With that being said, any and all advice/opinions given will be taken into consideration. And before you tell me to do research, I have done plenty of it.

Here shortly I will be beginning my own build on a pretty obvious SOHC D16Z6, but will need some help along the lines.

My goals are to run 250-300hp as a daily driver when I do complete the project.
First question is if that is too much for that type of engine to handle as a DD?
And secondly what, and in detail, are the parts that I WILL need for this build?
My plan is to start by going with forged internals; crank, pistons, etc.
I'm wanting to get the most out of my engine without intense wearing of components.

I do unsterstand this is a heavy build, and time consuming at that; I'm looking to do this over months to a years' time.

doctorake 03-10-2014 11:57 AM

Re: D16Z6 turbo build help

Started reading, saw lbs of boost instead of HP goals. You need to research way more. Go to the forced induction FAQs and read them through twice. Assemble a parts list and a budget and go from there.

Wdpfreak145 03-10-2014 12:47 PM

You do need a hp goal number or goal range. The first part for failure is the pistons and rods. You need a boost-oriented rod and a quality piston. I'm doing p2p0 rods and ycp vitara pistons because it's a popular and proven boost combo and is fairly reliable until you start getting into +400hp applications (they say 500+ but let's be real).

KevinEF7 03-10-2014 02:14 PM

You didnt research shlt bud. Stop lying lol. Dont be lazy

Singlebangin94 03-10-2014 03:18 PM

Hp goal at this point is around 300, not asking for a lot really.

Apparently what I have read and looked over has been wrong, that's why I have come here to get info from people who do these kinds of projects often.

Budget is an issue, but not a top priority, being that only expenses I have are insurance and gas.
But then again I'm not trying to spend just 3k for a system alone.

boarding2008 03-12-2014 10:36 AM

no need to change your crank. get forged internals like you stated. mild PnP on your head will help getting to 300whp. stock intake manifold and cam will get you there too. pick a turbo that will support more than you want because you WILL want more, i can guarantee it.

i made 280whp on 18psi.

SRP pistons 9.0:1
Eagle rods
ACL bearings
mild PnP
crappy tubular manifold (cracked 2x last summer)
ebay 57 trim (forgot AR)
650cc injectors
tail BOV and WG
full 3" dp to Kteller exhaust
Mfactory diff

goals this winter/spring, will be shooting for 375-400
cam
edelbrock intake
sheepey manifold
garrett turbo (already have)
much better tune

Schister66 03-12-2014 11:04 AM

220-240whp is the safe max for a stock D series...any more than that requires building it. Whether you choose to go forged pistons/rods or a simple Vitara setup is up to you. The factory crank is fine...if you have a Y8 crank, consider the A6 or Z6 crank because the Y8 is known for improper oiling and spinning bearings

Once you properly research what is needed to turbocharge your car, you will be able to answer your own questions with ease. Until that point, you're at the mercy of the advice random people give you. My advice: Educate yourself and make your own decisions...it'll save you headaches, time, and money in the long run

Singlebangin94 03-13-2014 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by boarding2008 (Post 49579361)
no need to change your crank. get forged internals like you stated. mild PnP on your head will help getting to 300whp. stock intake manifold and cam will get you there too. pick a turbo that will support more than you want because you WILL want more, i can guarantee it.

i made 280whp on 18psi.

SRP pistons 9.0:1
Eagle rods
ACL bearings
mild PnP
crappy tubular manifold (cracked 2x last summer)
ebay 57 trim (forgot AR)
650cc injectors
tail BOV and WG
full 3" dp to Kteller exhaust
Mfactory diff

goals this winter/spring, will be shooting for 375-400
cam
edelbrock intake
sheepey manifold
garrett turbo (already have)
much better tune

This is relatively what I am looking for. Thanks for the great info.
My plan is to keep my DD stock, buy a whole new engine just like mine and build from the ground up, all new parts; as new as I can get them that is.
When I have everything I need and have it assembled, I would drop it into my car and have it shipped off to be tuned.
As stated before, I know it is a long costly process and I am willing to take that step, which is why I am being realistic and starting with just 250-300whp.

For the fuel filter and injectors, what brand have you had the best experience(s) with?

Singlebangin94 03-13-2014 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Schister66 (Post 49579441)
220-240whp is the safe max for a stock D series...any more than that requires building it. Whether you choose to go forged pistons/rods or a simple Vitara setup is up to you. The factory crank is fine...if you have a Y8 crank, consider the A6 or Z6 crank because the Y8 is known for improper oiling and spinning bearings

Once you properly research what is needed to turbocharge your car, you will be able to answer your own questions with ease. Until that point, you're at the mercy of the advice random people give you. My advice: Educate yourself and make your own decisions...it'll save you headaches, time, and money in the long run

Thanks, I realize, and have acknowledge before, that I have a lot to learn, which that's just half the fun right? Lol
I'm more hands on than being able to interpret everything by reading, someone actually helping me for the first build would make everything 1000x easier to understand lol

Schister66 03-14-2014 04:33 AM

Its not that we wont help you, but its hard to explain everything all at once. If you research a little, you will at least have a basic understanding of turbocharging and the components required...from there its much easier to ask questions and understand the answers to them.

Originally Posted by Singlebangin94 (Post 49574182)
SOHC D16Z6
My goals are 250-300hp as a daily driver
First question isthat too much the engine to handle as a DD?
Secondly what are the parts that I WILL need for this build?

1. Your goals are more than a stock D series can safely handle. To make that power reliable, you have to build the bottom end (pistons/rods)

2. (See Above), Yes. In stock form, that is more power than a stock D series can handle, but a built D series can easily handle that power reliably.

3. Apart from the turbo setup, you would need beefier pistons and rods...the stock crank is fine since you're already running the Z6. There are quite a few different combinations you could use in the bottom end, but the two routes I would suggest are:

---- Eagle rods + CP/JE/Wiseco, etc forged pistons or
---- Eagle or LS (b18a/b) rods with Vitara pistons - this is route is very budget friendly but has its shortcomings

Singlebangin94 03-14-2014 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by Schister66 (Post 49583589)
Its not that we wont help you, but its hard to explain everything all at once. If you research a little, you will at least have a basic understanding of turbocharging and the components required...from there its much easier to ask questions and understand the answers to them.

1. Your goals are more than a stock D series can safely handle. To make that power reliable, you have to build the bottom end (pistons/rods)

2. (See Above), Yes. In stock form, that is more power than a stock D series can handle, but a built D series can easily handle that power reliably.

3. Apart from the turbo setup, you would need beefier pistons and rods...the stock crank is fine since you're already running the Z6. There are quite a few different combinations you could use in the bottom end, but the two routes I would suggest are:

---- Eagle rods + CP/JE/Wiseco, etc forged pistons or
---- Eagle or LS (b18a/b) rods with Vitara pistons - this is route is very budget friendly but has its shortcomings

Yea I'm starting from the ground up. Was looking into vitara pistons, they're cheaper, but was leaning toward forged also for longer life.
With the eagle rods, don't you have to notch the block?
Also, what length rods does the z6 have? Or better yet how do I find that info

Singlebangin94 03-14-2014 08:14 AM

Anyone have a link or know a reputable supplier of a t3/t4 turbo from eBay? One that's a real .57 trim

Schister66 03-14-2014 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Singlebangin94 (Post 49584049)
Anyone have a link or know a reputable supplier of a t3/t4 turbo from eBay? One that's a real .57 trim

Ebay is crap...

www.hondamarketplace.com has everything and it supports the sponsors who support Honda-tech

Forced Induction: http://hondamarketplace.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Singlebangin94 03-14-2014 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Schister66 (Post 49584198)
Ebay is crap...

www.hondamarketplace.com has everything and it supports the sponsors who support Honda-tech

Forced Induction: http://hondamarketplace.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Ok cool. I think I'll get everything for the setup first, then get the turbo

TheShodan 03-14-2014 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by Singlebangin94 (Post 49584265)
Ok cool. I think I'll get everything for the setup first, then get the turbo

You get the parts equipment around the turbo you choose. Not the other way around.

Singlebangin94 03-14-2014 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 49584293)
You get the parts equipment around the turbo you choose. Not the other way around.

I'd be doing it for the cost sake.
I know for sure I'm going to get the .57trim. Was just thinking about purchasing that last considering it's the more expensive part.

92_civic_eg 03-14-2014 09:59 AM

Find a turbo build a kit around that, I would say just use a log manifold because they are cheap and durable, but invest in a good wastegate and a good bov, and all d series stock cranks are forged and are reliable for 500hp and stock sleeves are reliable up to 400hp, the toothpick rods though only handle 220 but its been clearly state you're putting new rods and pistons which is necessary but you don't want pistons that will bump the compression ratio too high because that's not good for a turbo setup..

Schister66 03-14-2014 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by TheShodan (Post 49584293)

QFT

OP: You can still build your setup around the turbocharger, even if its the last piece you purchase. I still think the 57trim is a bit big for your goals, but if that's what you're set on, then go for it.

If i was building a 300whp D series, I would go for a T3 Super 60 or a GT28xxR

Singlebangin94 03-14-2014 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Schister66 (Post 49584394)
QFT

OP: You can still build your setup around the turbocharger, even if its the last piece you purchase. I still think the 57trim is a bit big for your goals, but if that's what you're set on, then go for it.

If i was building a 300whp D series, I would go for a T3 Super 60 or a GT28xxR

Understandable, i may look into those as well. But I'm guessing the t3/t4, as boarding2008 stated, once I get the first build over with, I'll be wanting to push and go for more hp. If I get the t3/t4, for more hp I wouldn't have to go out and get a new turbo.

Singlebangin94 03-14-2014 11:14 AM

As for the top end, is the z6 head restricting? What I'm trying to ask is, is there a better head to use than the Z6.
I'll be doing a full on rebuild, so I'll tackle the head too.

Schister66 03-14-2014 11:58 AM

Keep the Z6 head, but consider a different cam. I'm not much of a D series guy and am not up to date on the cam choices. The only one i can recall is the Zex 59300 but there are certainly better options out there, i just dont know what

Singlebangin94 03-14-2014 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Schister66 (Post 49584628)
Keep the Z6 head, but consider a different cam. I'm not much of a D series guy and am not up to date on the cam choices. The only one i can recall is the Zex 59300 but there are certainly better options out there, i just dont know what

I was going to go for an adjustable cam, not sure which brand tho.
Do you know any good brands or even knock off valves, springs, etc?

Schister66 03-14-2014 03:49 PM

The cam itself isn't adjustable...for that you buy an adjustable cam gear which replaces the fixed gear.

And I wouldn't mess about with knock-off valve springs...you're better off using oem parts. There are budget friendly options but that's a whole other discussion. Ultimately not necessary for what you're hoping to achieve

Singlebangin94 03-14-2014 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Schister66 (Post 49585200)
The cam itself isn't adjustable...for that you buy an adjustable cam gear which replaces the fixed gear.

And I wouldn't mess about with knock-off valve springs...you're better off using oem parts. There are budget friendly options but that's a whole other discussion. Ultimately not necessary for what you're hoping to achieve

Adjustable came gear is what I meant lol.
I'm sort of a perfectionist so when I'm done(if I ever even finish the build due to always wanting more) it will be high quality stuff. Lol

I'm looking into anything and everything that is upgradable, that's why I ask about the valves and springs.

bunnyx 03-25-2014 03:31 PM

I'm aiming for 250-300 hp myself. maybe around 12-14 psi.. my current build in the process...
98 civic hatch dx

SO far.....about $1400 in...
d16y8
stock head y8
block hot tanked, honed, decked
75mm vitara p2p0 custom i beams npr rings
acl race bearings main rod and thrust washers
6 puck competition clutch
stock pressure plate stock flywheel
dx transmission
t3t4 50trim ebay turbo kit by Emusa
chipped p75 ecu and aem uego 02 wideband