Old 09-05-2009, 01:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: D16z6 turbo build 400hp bound

Yes
Old 09-07-2009, 11:19 AM

A shop up north of where i live got 606whp out of a d16y8 without nitrous. I would try to get in touch with someone from that shop, place is called speed factory. Website is www.speedfactoryracing.net . Good luck to you and let me know how it goes i'm also trying to build up my D16z6. But i'm definately gettin with the speedfactory guys. Also Super Street is doing a multi-issue article on building up a 700hp d16z6 with forced induction. Again good luck to you.

Kanaboy

Kanaboy
Old 09-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks man
Old 09-09-2009, 08:02 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Is this a good wastegate even though its internal not external
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Garre...ht_1065wt_1008
Old 09-09-2009, 08:45 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

NO.

Stop looking for parts and start reading a LOT...

When you can answer your own questions, start shopping.

If you keep shopping with pipe dreams of 400hp you're going to end up spending 4k and not having a setup.

1. Set REALISTIC goal for your budget
2. Plan out the parts needed to make that goal
3. Spend time looking for the EXACT parts you've decided on and look for deals on used or second hand new (lots of people start turbo projects and abandon ship after they have spend too much and accomplished nothing.)

You really are not in a position to make the correct decisions with the knowledge you have right now. READ READ READ. Find 10-15 build threads that have the goal HP you want and see what they've done to get there.

I don't think you have a chance of making 400whp without either a bigger budget, more knowledge, or more access to free/cheap labor/parts.

Chances are 400hp is going to be way too much for you if you're not used to it anyway. build a less ambitios budget turbo setup and get it running and tuned and you'll be in a much better place to make an informed decision about loftier goals.
Old 09-09-2009, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by NonovUrbizniz
NO.

If you keep shopping with pipe dreams of 400hp you're going to end up spending 4k and not having a setup.

3. Spend time looking for the EXACT parts you've decided on and look for deals on used or second hand new (lots of people start turbo projects and abandon ship after they have spend too much and accomplished nothing.)

You really are not in a position to make the correct decisions with the knowledge you have right now. READ READ READ. Find 10-15 build threads that have the goal HP you want and see what they've done to get there.

I don't think you have a chance of making 400whp without either a bigger budget, more knowledge, or more access to free/cheap labor/parts.

Chances are 400hp is going to be way too much for you if you're not used to it anyway. build a less ambitios budget turbo setup and get it running and tuned and you'll be in a much better place to make an informed decision about loftier goals.
A budget and how you accomplish your parts is all in your resources and how you network. When I first got into this game a year ago I didn't know a damn soul. Now I have a strong connect for headwork, single cam parts, painter/bodywork person.
So when it comes down to it surround yourself with knowledgeable people with whatever it is, not just Hondas and it'll work out.
Im doing a build myself with a Y8 bottom end and a z6 head and here's how the $ is being spent
Y8 bottom end with brand new oil and water pump with all machine work done including fresh hone, notched block for bigger aftermarket rods with crank and crank caps for 80$
Blox Intake manifold 80$
Precision SC6169sp 550$ used
Tial 38mm wastegate 120$ used
Tial 50mm bov 220$ brand new
2.5 IC piping 150$ used (very good quality aluminum)
CX Racing (Ebay IC) 27 by 11 by 3 120$ shipped
So at the end of the day it's about being patient if you want to find parts for cheap along with networking with people because people know people and that's what i've found. As for the rest of what I need .....
Springs and retainers from Supertech - 300 shipped on ebay
Crower Cam - 250
Z6 head - 50 COMPLETE
Headwork - around 200 for Stage 3 headwork
4 Bar MAP - 75 $
Turbo Manifold - depends
Rods - 300 more or less pending on the situation
Pistons - 100
Tranny - Ex or Si for 100
but you get the jist, don't just jump in. Talk to people locally and whatnot and make friends because you'll meet people that can point you in the right direction. So with all of that said I WILL have a 400whp car for a little over 2,000 dollars using quality parts where it COUNTS
Old 09-09-2009, 01:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

NO.

Bravo.

ive told the OP that very same thing several times in PM's. there are more people that you can count that have been there, done that, already. READ READ READ. ALL of the info is out there on ANY combination you can think of...nobody wants to spoon feed you anything, there are hundreds of thousands of threads that have already answered every question you can think of IN DETAIL....do some research....
Old 09-09-2009, 03:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon2 Re: D16z6 turbo build 400hp bound

Alright thanks guy but you didn't have to flame on me thanks anyways.
Old 09-09-2009, 07:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm really not flaming AT ALL...

I've been working on cars since I was 14 and I'm 32. I've been working on my turbo project for almost a full year and going into it even I F'd up left and right due to poorly planning... and changing directions mid stream... then when money got tighter it had to go on hold... I'm still not done... lol.

Extra parts I have at this point:

Injectors
Turbo
I/C Piping
Intercooler

If I sell that stuff off I'm going to end up loosing at least 1-200bucks... to the point where as long as I don't NEED the money I'm just going to keep it and do a budget build on the side at some point.

I'm just trying (like everyone else) to discourage you from making rash/uninformed decisions which you will only regret in the end.

This site and others offer an UNBELIEVABLE repository of information... it's ALL out there for you.

Don't waste money one parts that you don't need. Don't waste time buying parts piece meal when you don't even have an idea what ALL the parts are that you need and how much it's going to cost you all tolled.

I started off wanting 200-250hp on a junkyard turbo... figuring 1-2k budget... Now I'm onto a vitara build shooting for 300-400hp and the budget has ballooned to 3-4k.

For a real deal functioning daily drivable 400hp sohc you're looking at 4-5k MINIMUM.

1k - clutch/lsd
1k - quick4/dp/dumptube
1k - exhaust/intake piping
1k - I/C / Turbo
1k - Misc. + tune
1k - fuel/managment

Thats BARGAIN BASEMENT... if you through in engine work/building and all the details that you "should" spend the money on you're upto God only knows.

Good Luck!
Old 09-09-2009, 07:30 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by lsdb1
A budget and how you accomplish your parts is all in your resources and how you network. When I first got into this game a year ago I didn't know a damn soul. Now I have a strong connect for headwork, single cam parts, painter/bodywork person.
So when it comes down to it surround yourself with knowledgeable people with whatever it is, not just Hondas and it'll work out.
Im doing a build myself with a Y8 bottom end and a z6 head and here's how the $ is being spent
Y8 bottom end with brand new oil and water pump with all machine work done including fresh hone, notched block for bigger aftermarket rods with crank and crank caps for 80$
Blox Intake manifold 80$
Precision SC6169sp 550$ used
Tial 38mm wastegate 120$ used
Tial 50mm bov 220$ brand new
2.5 IC piping 150$ used (very good quality aluminum)
CX Racing (Ebay IC) 27 by 11 by 3 120$ shipped
So at the end of the day it's about being patient if you want to find parts for cheap along with networking with people because people know people and that's what i've found. As for the rest of what I need .....
Springs and retainers from Supertech - 300 shipped on ebay
Crower Cam - 250
Z6 head - 50 COMPLETE
Headwork - around 200 for Stage 3 headwork
4 Bar MAP - 75 $
Turbo Manifold - depends
Rods - 300 more or less pending on the situation
Pistons - 100
Tranny - Ex or Si for 100
but you get the jist, don't just jump in. Talk to people locally and whatnot and make friends because you'll meet people that can point you in the right direction. So with all of that said I WILL have a 400whp car for a little over 2,000 dollars using quality parts where it COUNTS
I do hear what you're saying but you're being almost as tunnel visioned as OP...

First... just the numbers you've provided (which are unrealistic) add up to 2615... and that does not include:

Fuel Injectors, Fuel Pump, Fuel Managment
Turbo Manifold/DP/Exhaust

you are now at AT LEAST 4k... unless you make the DP/Manifold yourself then it's still 300-400 in tubing and welding wire. and you could skimp on fuel managment... but there's no escaping the need for a walbro and injectors... so MINIMUM you're talking about 3-3.5k and NO guarantee you're going to make 400hp with questionable fuel management and turbo manifold...

Oh and say you do get 400 for 3k... you've still left out a LSD... so that 400 hp is not going to do much spinning one wheel as soon as you hit boost all the way through the power band.

The truth of the matter is most people don't really post a TRUE all tolled cost for their projects... I'd say most 400hp people have spent at least 4-5k unless they got showered in free parts and labor.

A well rounded street driven 400whp ANYTHING is goign to cost you a good deal of money.
Old 10-30-2009, 07:49 PM

I do hear what you're saying but you're being almost as tunnel visioned as OP...

First... just the numbers you've provided (which are unrealistic) add up to 2615... and that does not include:

Fuel Injectors, Fuel Pump, Fuel Managment
Turbo Manifold/DP/Exhaust

you are now at AT LEAST 4k... unless you make the DP/Manifold yourself then it's still 300-400 in tubing and welding wire. and you could skimp on fuel managment... but there's no escaping the need for a walbro and injectors... so MINIMUM you're talking about 3-3.5k and NO guarantee you're going to make 400hp with questionable fuel management and turbo manifold...

Oh and say you do get 400 for 3k... you've still left out a LSD... so that 400 hp is not going to do much spinning one wheel as soon as you hit boost all the way through the power band.

The truth of the matter is most people don't really post a TRUE all tolled cost for their projects... I'd say most 400hp people have spent at least 4-5k unless they got showered in free parts and labor.

A well rounded street driven 400whp ANYTHING is goign to cost you a good deal of money.
Honestly shopping around.. lm see my topmount manny was ~$500 and as far as management goes you can get ahold of a hondata preinstalled p28 for about $500 and even cheaper if you go with chrome..

building a set-up just depends on 2 things time and money... either you have alot of time to wait for a deal or you have alot of money to get it fast...

just research everything as previously stated and buy smart, don't jump on anything till you know for sure it will help to make your goal...

and speaking of goals...make sure you have one or youll end of spending way too much money.. one thing that helps me is making a list of each part needed and the average cost along with a link or two of the best price you could find.. that way when something comes along to can keep track of how far you are along.. it really puts things into perspective..
Old 10-30-2009, 09:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey man, Thought i would share my past with the sohc builds for a little bit of inspiration,
First setup was stock Z6 With a junk yard turbo kit, VAFC hack i mean Ghetto Build, Straight t3 Air research hf mani, 2.5 dp . arp head studs... any way,, it ran 12.1 made a little over 230 i cant remeber, but lasted for a year.... I think i spent 1400 bux for everything... with new HG and studs, and clutch

next was a z6 Sleeved, wisecoe eagles, sc61 Ramhorn mani, Crome, made 430ish 25lbs...
Ran 11.1 with stock z6 trans with quaife stock axles... 24.5s
Good luck with the build tho i love seein sohc's make power either way
Old 10-31-2009, 09:47 AM
Honda-Tech Member

thanks guys
Old 06-16-2010, 12:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you have so much help in this thread man, goodluck..i spent aournd $1700 on my turbo-kit, tune, injectors(used), etc, etc... made 310whp @12psi on a stock gsr also had rc750cc's it can be done on a budget.. turbo was a t3to4e .57trim.. now i have 9:0.1 bottom je pistons eagle rods ready for 400whp... im running a xtd stage 4 unsprung clutch.. it held 367whp which is around 390hp or 400hp(crank) on my stock gsr because my boost controller kept boost creeping.. =(
Old 06-17-2012, 09:10 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Icon3 Re: D16z6 turbo build 400hp bound

I'm really not flaming AT ALL...

I've been working on cars since I was 14 and I'm 32. I've been working on my turbo project for almost a full year and going into it even I F'd up left and right due to poorly planning... and changing directions mid stream... then when money got tighter it had to go on hold... I'm still not done... lol.

Extra parts I have at this point:

Injectors
Turbo
I/C Piping
Intercooler

If I sell that stuff off I'm going to end up loosing at least 1-200bucks... to the point where as long as I don't NEED the money I'm just going to keep it and do a budget build on the side at some point.

I'm just trying (like everyone else) to discourage you from making rash/uninformed decisions which you will only regret in the end.

This site and others offer an UNBELIEVABLE repository of information... it's ALL out there for you.

Don't waste money one parts that you don't need. Don't waste time buying parts piece meal when you don't even have an idea what ALL the parts are that you need and how much it's going to cost you all tolled.

I started off wanting 200-250hp on a junkyard turbo... figuring 1-2k budget... Now I'm onto a vitara build shooting for 300-400hp and the budget has ballooned to 3-4k.

For a real deal functioning daily drivable 400hp sohc you're looking at 4-5k MINIMUM.

1k - clutch/lsd
1k - quick4/dp/dumptube
1k - exhaust/intake piping
1k - I/C / Turbo
1k - Misc. + tune
1k - fuel/managment

Thats BARGAIN BASEMENT... if you through in engine work/building and all the details that you "should" spend the money on you're upto God only knows.

Good Luck!
hes right you know! i was planning on spending 2k tops on my jdm d15 turbo build on e85 and so far im like at 4.5k and im still not donw! with tune should be at 5k and my engine is still stock (pistons rods cam)
im gonna keep it at low boost till then
Old 06-17-2012, 09:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

damn just realized how old this thread was
Old 03-06-2013, 07:52 AM
Honda-Tech Member

i have a d16z6 vitara pistons custom fj rods an acl bearings got fully port poished head with laskey valves springs an retainers i wanted to know what cam an what turbo an tuner to get help me plz!!! i am not on buget but dont wanna spend to much lol