Notices

D16z6 head with y8 block good for boost, or all y8? And other questions

Old 08-24-2013, 11:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16z6 head with y8 block good for boost, or all y8? And other questions

I'm planning on boosting my civic and I'm just beginning the process. Going for somewhere around the 250-300hp range (I'll be upgrading pistons, rods, fuel system later. Just looking for which motor to start with). I have a few questions related to what motor would be best and if it's a good idea/deal. I've also done a lot of searching already.

I have access to a shop so I can do valve jobs, honing cylinders, cleaning, resurfacing, etc. Plus plenty of time to work.

I have a d16y8 long block with a spun bearing I can pick up for 100. Comes with starter and dizzy, nothing else. Is it worth it? I'm not too familiar with spun bearings yet. I'm worried about the main journals. What is the chance they are damaged? And as for the crank I'll just get a z6 one if needed for better oiling. The car still drove and had about 70% power if that helps. Only drove about 2 miles until motor was swapped out. And I know the oil pump on the y8 is poorly designed, but I've found threads on how to improve the oiling so I'm not worried about that.

Also just picked up a z6 head. I thought maybe I can put it on the y8 block. It uses 9 of the 10 y8 head bolts and 1 z6 bolt (might have that mixed around). Does anyone know if this is safe for boosting? I know it would be safer not to do this but if someone has had experience with this before I'd like to know.

I've also read the z6 has better high end power due to air flow. And the y8 head seems to be designed more economically for better low end power. This will be my DD, not a track car, so I'm not sure which I'd rather use here. Any advice? And since I have a 93 civic it would make it easier to use the z6 but it's not a big deal at all. Mostly just looking for a good cost effective way.

So to sum it up, which head to use? Should I just pass this deal and find a d16z6 block to use with the z6 head? I haven't been able to find any deals on a block around here. Or should I go with d16y8 head and block if you think the price is right? (If anything I can resell the head alone for 100). I have time on my hands to fix it. Just strapped for cash until I start working again and I want to get this project going now.

I'm open to and appreciate any suggestions and answers.
Old 08-24-2013, 01:04 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Re: D16z6 head with y8 block good for boost, or all y8? And other questions

Z6 head and everything attached to it and a Z6 crankshaft to use in the Y8 block.
Old 08-24-2013, 05:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16z6 head with y8 block good for boost, or all y8? And other questions

So I'm taking it you would prefer high end power for a DD?
Old 08-24-2013, 05:49 PM
The Grumpiest

Where did I say that and how did you infer it?
Old 08-24-2013, 06:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by FairlyImprudent
...I've also read the z6 has better high end power due to air flow. And the y8 head seems to be designed more economically for better low end power. This will be my DD, not a track car, so I'm not sure which I'd rather use here. Any advice?....
This is from what I read after searching. Not sure how true this is but I read it in a couple places. That was the only reason I could think of and I forgot to ask, why do you say z6?
Old 08-24-2013, 10:51 PM
B*a*n*n*e*d

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Using the Z6 head on the Y8 block will *slightly* lower your compression. The Z6 crank has dual oil journals, making it less likely to spin a bearing.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:15 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I saw that it also does lower compression, which I guess is good for boosting. I barely know anything about boosting yet though. I'm just worried the head studs won't hold up as well. I don't know if they thread in as far as they would with a matching head and block
Old 08-25-2013, 09:32 AM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by FairlyImprudent
YI don't know if they thread in as far as they would with a matching head and block
You need to get to that reading.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I read just about all I could find. I'd rather find the answer than ask a question hoping someone else found the answer. All I know is there is 1 odd bolt by the vtec solenoid and the rest are all the same. Just has me a little concerned but if anything I'll find out for myself once I get the block
Old 08-25-2013, 10:17 AM
The Grumpiest

You could not have POSSIBLY done all the reading. It takes people MONTHS before they have a good grasp of what goes into it.
Old 08-25-2013, 10:25 AM
Honda-Tech Member

If you're talking about turbo then yes, I agree with you. I'm just referring to the head bolts with this set up. Nothing else
Old 08-25-2013, 10:26 AM
The Grumpiest

WITF would the studs be any different length? Where are you people getting this stuff?
Old 08-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

z6 studs are ~6.5" and y8s are ~5.5". I'm sure you already knew they weren't the same though. Here's a link where I first got some info on post #3 from someone who also had this set up. I saw a couple other places that said the same also
http://www.d-series.org/forums/engin...headbolts.html
Old 08-25-2013, 11:55 AM
The Grumpiest

Then you're asking questions you already know the answer to?
Old 08-25-2013, 12:13 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm just not sure if that's a safe setup for boosting. That's my question I can't find an answer for
Old 08-25-2013, 12:17 PM
The Grumpiest

I have a few links in my signature. I can tell you haven't read any of them.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:34 PM
tyb
Honda-Tech Member

^^ grumblemarc i read through the turbocharge one it really helps.

boosting isn't necessarily ever "safe" unless the car was built with a turbo.
yes a z6 head on y8 block is "safe" until about 8-10 psi until you build the motor.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:58 PM
Honda-Tech Member

You have some of the most helpful links anywhere to be found in your signature. I've read through certain portions of it as needed. There's just nothing to be found about the z6 head y8 block setup relating to F/I and head studs. If I missed something, please direct me to it.

Ok, I'm kinda making a mess of this question now so I'll just go out and buy the block. Then I can check for sure all the studs thread in far enough to not worry. Which they most likely do, then go from there. I doubt I will have anymore questions that are not already answered after that
Old 08-25-2013, 02:12 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by tyb

yes a z6 head on y8 block is "safe" until about 8-10 psi until you build the motor.
I hope you learned something cause psi doesn't mean that much. In fact, I'm almost sure he said that in one of his links.. ok found it, it was on the want a faster civic link. And safe is a relative word. When I asked if it was safe, I was simply wondering if it was as safe as a complete z6 block or y8 block pertaining to the head studs.
Old 08-25-2013, 02:14 PM
tyb
Honda-Tech Member

ok yeah then just use ARP head studs
Old 08-25-2013, 02:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Old 08-25-2013, 05:12 PM
The Grumpiest

Originally Posted by tyb

Bullshit. That statement tells me you know absolutely NOTHING about boosted cars. Anyone that uses PSI to determine power levels and reliability needs to STFU and stop spreading misinformation.
Old 08-25-2013, 06:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Bullshit. That statement tells me you know absolutely NOTHING about boosted cars. Anyone that uses PSI to determine power levels and reliability needs to STFU and stop spreading misinformation.
I think you fit my username better than myself, cheers . And I support the fight against the spread of misinformation. I may not have much knowledge to support it but I still try
Old 08-25-2013, 06:55 PM
tyb
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
i know LOTS about boosted cars. 8psi on every turbo is different. Maybe if you stopped flaming people and just help them understand it and be helpful for once people wouldn't be d*** to you
Old 08-25-2013, 07:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Classic grumblemarc... OP you should just quit while your behind. Cardinal rule when grumblemarc replies is to never mention PSI, power levels and boosting in the same sentence.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: D16z6 head with y8 block good for boost, or all y8? And other questions