D16z6 Greddy turbo kit

Old 04-20-2014, 08:25 PM
Trial User

Icon2 D16z6 Greddy turbo kit

i have a 93 honda civic si with a blue e-manage td04h-15g or to the best of my research. i brought the car out for the spring to hear a high pitched niose coming from the turbo/throw-out bearing and oil coming from the turbo c-clamp.

i dont have much experice with tubos but id like to keep it boosted

few questions:

1.Is there a direct replacement without having to re-tune?
2.I have a junk 2nd gen dsm turbo with i think is a t25. if i got a adapter plate and custom downpipe would i have to re-tune?
3. If worst comes to worst how expensive would it get rebuilt with its shaft play or whatever it is?
Old 04-20-2014, 08:39 PM

Default Re: D16z6 Greddy turbo kit

1. Not unless its the same 15G from another GReddy Kit

2. Yes, but just for the fact you'll need to make sure you have proper intercooling, because you're blowing hot air now. the T25 is much smaller than a 15G.

3. Its not that bad, but it depends upon what's wrong. A "high pitched whine" typically means compressor wheel contact, which means you'll need to replace, rebalance. There are knock-offs you can use, but if you're not prepared to do it yourself, you'll need to get the wallet out.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:47 PM
Trial User

Is there any option that doesn't require re tunning other than the stock turbo

would I have to re tune if got one of the 19g upgrade kits for the turbo
Old 04-20-2014, 10:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Youre asking if A changes does C change. A+B=C so yes. If you change anything to any part that isn't the same you need to retune.

The only way you wont need a retune is if you stick with the same turbo
Old 04-20-2014, 10:37 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

If you end up needing to replace the turbo, I have one that needs some work laying around. $200 would fix it, I just don't have a use for it anymore.

If you replace the turbo with something other than a 15G, yes, you will need a retune. There's no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Like Shodan said, whining noises are bad - there's metal to metal contact somewhere in there. Best case scenario, your center shaft is rubbing the bearing, and will need to be replaced. Worst case, once again like Shodan said, wheel contact, which definitely means the wheel and possibly housing are damaged, and the center shaft might be bent.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

IMO rebuild your turbo...

when you send your turbo for rebuilding you can try a 18 or 19T compressor housing with a 18-19T compressor wheel and modify to a lathe the compressor wheel's base.

of course after rebuilding the turbo must be balanced.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:33 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Take pictures of the turbo and oil leak. you need to visually inspect the compressor wheel and turbine wheel.

you'll never find another Greddy 15G, they haven't been made in forever and if any components like wheels or housings are damaged you'll be hard pressed to find replacements.

and yes, any change in the turbo or boost pressure from the 15G would require a retune. now if you get a larger turbo you could get away with the existing tune if you run lower pressure.

given that the Greddy manifold has a Garrett style t25 flange you can pick up something like an Sr20 t25 or any other t2 based turbo (except for the dsm unit since the flange is different) like a gt28r or gt2860r. either of those two turbos would be a good replacement option given the similar size and availability... you could easily find a used good condition gt28r for under 500 dollars, roughly close to the same amount you'd spend rebuilding, rebalancing, and replacing any damaged components on the 15g, not to mention you don't have to deal with a lot of downtime or struggling to find replacement parts

the gt28 would be the closest thing you could get to the 15G and it would behave in a similar manner. the 2860 would give you room for more power down the road if you choose to do so.

however either of these options would require a retune and potentially a new downpipe. personally I think a gt28r would be the best bang for your buck and make for a very responsive street car.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by wantboost View Post
you'll never find another Greddy 15G, they haven't been made in forever and if any components like wheels or housings are damaged you'll be hard pressed to find replacements.
You'd never guess what I have sitting on my piano in my living room...

however either of these options would require a retune and potentially a new downpipe. personally I think a gt28r would be the best bang for your buck and make for a very responsive street car.
He would definitely need a new downpipe. The Greddy 15G uses a really weird O2 housing to three bolt downpipe.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:08 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

The Greddy 15g and 18g both use a 5 bolt Garrett turbine outlet flange and the elbow ends into a standard 3 bolt flange
Old 04-24-2014, 01:35 PM
Trial User

Thanks by the sound of it and the sdvice you guys gave me im just gonna take the whole kit off. i have a few questions that might be stupid

1.its a stand alone fms so if i remove it will the stock tune still on the ecu?
2.i have a dc sports cat back will my stock headers line up with exhaust or wil i need to get it custom cut.

thanks again
Old 04-24-2014, 04:25 PM

1.Its considered a "piggy back" to the ECU. When you take E-manage off, your tune goes with the E-manage. Stock ECU won't even start the car anymore.

2. Your "cat back" is exactly that: from the catalytic converter back to the end of the car. If the header is stock in the stock location it should line up with the catalytic converter as long as you didn't make any changes to the catalytic converter pipe.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:13 PM
Trial User

what would i have to do to the ecu after removing the e-manage?
Old 04-25-2014, 01:27 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Nothing. just remove the bigger injectors. basically anything you put on with the turbo kit comes off and then you're fine.

catback should bolt up fine to the stock header.

but why remove the turbo kit? for a few hundred dollars you up and running again. and if you try and sell it you'll have a hard time selling it for any reasonable amount of money with a blown turbo.
Old 04-25-2014, 06:27 AM
Trial User

Nothing. just remove the bigger injectors. basically anything you put on with the turbo kit comes off and then you're fine.

catback should bolt up fine to the stock header.

but why remove the turbo kit? for a few hundred dollars you up and running again. and if you try and sell it you'll have a hard time selling it for any reasonable amount of money with a blown turbo.
my motors gonna hit 200k soon and id rather spend the money on head gasket water pump oi pump...etc

i called gpop they want the same amount as greddy to rebuild it and thats before they fix the metal on metal

so unless the guy with the td04 on his piano is will to sell it for cheap and it was only the bearings out that would be the only way i see me keeping it
Old 04-25-2014, 10:01 AM

The center shaft is snapped at the nut. It snapped during the rebuild. I've seen quotes from $200 to $600 to get it fixed, but the wheels and housings are both perfectly healthy. I can ship it to you for $100.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:14 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

That would be perfect if the OPs turbine shaft isn't damaged. all you would need to do then is get a standard rebuild kit (i can locate one for you on the cheap) and have it rebalanced.

how did you snap the turbine shaft? you're only supposed to torque the shaft nut to 20-22 inch pounds lol
Old 04-25-2014, 10:20 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

Did it snap during teardown or assembly? if your CHRA has new internals (typical rebuild kit) then all the op would need to do is swap his (assuming here) undamaged turbine shaft into your CHRA, torque the shaft nut to 20-22inlb and then pay the 50-80 dollars for balancing and shipping each way and he's in business for roughly under 250 bucks.

win win
Old 04-25-2014, 10:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OP here

sorry facebook login wasnt working

when i take my turbo apart what do i look for to see if the turbo shaft was still good?
Old 04-25-2014, 12:03 PM

Did it snap during teardown or assembly? if your CHRA has new internals (typical rebuild kit) then all the op would need to do is swap his (assuming here) undamaged turbine shaft into your CHRA, torque the shaft nut to 20-22inlb and then pay the 50-80 dollars for balancing and shipping each way and he's in business for roughly under 250 bucks.

win win
It snapped during assembly, and I have the complete OEM rebuild kit from GPop (the "large" kit, not the small one). The kit costs $100 last I checked...I can seal it back up and include it.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:51 PM
Who is Mr Robot?

no wear, scoring, coking or heat checking
Old 04-25-2014, 03:59 PM

Nope, other than the snapped shaft and blown oil seals, it's perfectly healthy (to my eye, at least). I can post pictures of it later tonight for public viewing, though.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Thanks for checking ill post pics of it this weekend when i tare into it

and again thanks for all everyones help
Old 04-26-2014, 01:16 AM

I'm stupid, and almost forgot about this thread. I also think I threw away the exhaust side wheel, since it's attached to the shaft that snapped. I'll just post links, so I don't go bogging down your thread with pictures.

housing 1
housing 2
CHRA 1
CHRA 2 (dust cover removed)
Wheel top
Wheel bottom
Rebuild kit (one o-ring already installed in CHRA, no point in removing it)
Old 04-26-2014, 08:45 AM
Who is Mr Robot?

I was saying the op should check for that damage.

if his turbine wheel shows even the slightest blade contact he's done.