Notices

d16z: greddy turbo + higher compression pistons

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2002, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d16z: greddy turbo + higher compression pistons

i have a greddy turbo and intercooler powering my d16z at 5 psi. i also have a spare d16z just in case i blow my current engine when i start playing around with the boost this spring. i plan on getting a thicker head gasket, ignition and fuel upgrades, and a V-AFC so i can test the limits of my current setup.

here's my situation:
i don't want to start playing around with the boost on my current setup until after i build my spare d16z (so as to cut down on the down time). at first, i was thinking that i would build my spare d16z with lower compression pistons and just run higher boost levels, but i DON'T plan on upgrading my turbo. if i were to lower my compression, i know i could see higher boost levels than what the greddy turbo could supply (with proper tuning, of course). so i thought, "what would be the point of building a motor if it couldn't see it's full potential (since the greddy turbo can only flow so much air)?"

so now i was thinking that i would build my spare d16z with higher compression pistons (maybe 10.5:1 or 11:1). by doing so, i would not have to put as much stress on the greddy turbo and just boost lower to get more power. if i were to go this route, i would definitely get it dyno tuned.

what do you guys think? what are the pros and cons of each setup? any comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. i plan on getting some eagle forged rods, but am undecided on which piston (brand and compression) to get. i was looking at some SRPs or some arias pistons.

i forgot to mention that this is my DD, so i need to be able to drive it reliably to and fro my long commute to school. and as far as what i want out of the car, well i want a setup that is good off the line, that's why i'm leaning toward a higher compression setup (please correct me if that won't get me off the line quicker). i also want something reliable (but that will come with good tuning).