Notices

D16y8 TURBO HELP PLEASE!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2004, 08:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16y8 TURBO HELP PLEASE!!

aright guys...imma need feedback...i'll appreciate experienced and honest responses...

i've got a 98civic ex (d16y8)...i pretty much have everything i'll need to run boost on it...a friend donated a rebuilt dsm td05 12a turbo to me already bolted on to a manifold for the d16 head...i went ahead and got a nice FMIC and had a local exhaust shop make the piping for me...i have two rolls of nice blue 2.25inch couplers and a zerotek adjustable stage3 BOV...i also nabbed a dual-gauge a-pillar pod with boost and a-f ratio gauges...the 12a is internally wastegated at 11psi...i've seen the original setup run on a 99ex...and it certainly wasn't shabby at all...being pretty small, the turbo spooled madd quickly...granted its cfm is child's play, the setup certainly womped on most of the street civics in the area...

unfortunately, i'm a little tied up financially to build up the internals, but i will be ripping out some teggyLS pistons/rods in the not so distant future for a pseudo bottom build-up with custom sleeves and some precision machine work...but for now...imma hafto suffice with some nice fuel management WHICH I DONT THINK I COPPED OUT ON AT ALL...

-got a working set of bluetop dsm 450cc injectors w/resistor box
-walbro 255 fuel pump
-v-afc (NOW I KNO ALOTTA YOU CREAM OVER HONDATA AND UBERDATA...but please don't even start that with me...i live in IL where we have terrible obd2 scanning for emissions testing...i really don't feel like going thru the hassle of hunting down a obd1 ecu (p28 i suppose from some eg) for a decent price with matching engine harness...then having to change everything back in under a year's time)

well, now that y'all have a pretty decent idea of my setup...i have a couple questions...

1) i plan on running the v-afc hack. i heard somewhere that obd2 cars automatically "detune" themselves, so i'm gonna hafto mess with my ecu's backup memory to prevent it from "unlearning" what it was taught...IS THIS TRUE? or can i just wire up the v-afc as originally planned and run the hack and leave it at that?

2) also another obd2 concern...this time i'm referring to ignition timing...some ppl are telling me that imma hafto retard the timing with boost to prevent detonation...others are telling me i'll be fine without retarding it...who's correct in this matter?...i'm gettin' alotta "just set it back 2 or 3 degrees"...but i'm not sure...i want some other opinions...ALSO ALONG THE LINES OF THE SUPPOSED OBD2 "DETUNING" ISSUE...i heard that you cannot adjust ignition timing by just cranking the rotor on obd2 cars like you can with obd1 cars...is this true? WHAT SHOULD I DO ABOUT THIS WITHOUT HAVING TO PUT DOWN A FORTUNE?

3) i'm SURE that once this install is over with...my stock clutch is gonna take a crap really soon after...how do y'all feel about a Exedy Stage 1 with a 9lbs flywheel...i'm really diggin' that combo

i think those are my main concerns for now...

please reply with some helpful feedback, i NEED not just answers, but actual practical solutions

THANK YOU THANK YOU!!
Old 06-14-2004, 09:13 PM

Default Re: D16y8 TURBO HELP PLEASE!! (devildicer)

*bump*

please help, thank you!!
Old 06-14-2004, 09:34 PM

*bump bump*
Old 06-15-2004, 08:03 AM

alrite...so i'm guessin' no one wants to help me out...
Old 06-15-2004, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll help.

I've heard something to the effect of obd2 cars not responding well to piggy back's like AFC's. However, I've been @7.5 psi for almost 2 years and 15,000 miles on a stock 99' EX ECU with the AFC hack. In that time I've never had to redo my settings, aside from resetting the ECU for various things (not ecu related). The ECU constantly monitors A/F ratios at part throttle, but what you're interested in is full throttle, and in that case the ECU goes to a pre-set fuel map.

Just install the AFC according to the directions, then put all the settings (narrow and wide throttle) at -40%. That will definitely make the car driveable, but I *highly* recommend some tuning with a wideband O2 sensor.

To manually adjust ignition timing, you have to "jump" the ECU or it will compensate for any adjustments you make. Maybe this is where the "unlearning" rumor started... I'm sure there are a lot of "how to" posts on how to jump the ECU. (just like you do when you are checking codes from the Check Engine Light)

As for timing, I manually retarded (by cranking the rotor) ignition timing about 3 degrees. I would *absolutely* recommend this due to the fact that the stock timing map will be pretty far advanced.