Notices

D16Y8 turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2016, 10:34 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16Y8 turbo build

Hello everyone. I have just become the lucky owner of a 1997 Honda Del Sol Si with a D16Y8 and want to turbocharger it. My goal is around 350hp. I have tried to find as many D16Y8 turbo forums as I could so hopefully we don't have to go over old information. From what I understand I need a Z6 crankshaft (do I need Z6 bearings?), ARP head bolts, an upgraded fuel pump (I found a Walbro 255LPH), larger fuel injectors (any recommendations?), Forged rods and piston heads (I found Wiseco pistons and eagle rods from real street performance), and then the turbo kit (a CX racing turbo kit with T3/T4 hybrid turbo from Andy's auto sports), I will also be getting a Yonaka motorsports stage 3 clutch, is there anything I am missing? Thank you in advance!
Old 08-22-2016, 12:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: D16Y8 turbo build

Dont use a chinese turbo kit, you will be doomed for failure
Old 08-22-2016, 08:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

From what I have read CX racing is out of LA California
Old 08-23-2016, 03:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

the turbos are made in china then shipped to CA, its well known to be complete garbage
Old 08-24-2016, 02:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Cedrickyle
Hello everyone. I have just become the lucky owner of a 1997 Honda Del Sol Si with a D16Y8 and want to turbocharger it. My goal is around 350hp. I have tried to find as many D16Y8 turbo forums as I could so hopefully we don't have to go over old information. From what I understand I need a Z6 crankshaft (do I need Z6 bearings?), ARP head bolts, an upgraded fuel pump (I found a Walbro 255LPH), larger fuel injectors (any recommendations?), Forged rods and piston heads (I found Wiseco pistons and eagle rods from real street performance), and then the turbo kit (a CX racing turbo kit with T3/T4 hybrid turbo from Andy's auto sports), I will also be getting a Yonaka motorsports stage 3 clutch, is there anything I am missing? Thank you in advance!
Any time you change your crank and rods, I recommend using a dial bore gauge and machinist caliper, to find your bearing thicknesses. I wouldn't do it any other way, just to be safe since you are in the plans of boosting this bad boy take the time and spend the loose change to do it right the first time. It will save you lots of headache for future references. As for injectors, How much you planning to boost? you need to ask yourself this question, before purchasing things and items you may not need later, and ending up with either junk or bunk parts. Pick and choose this build wisely if you planning on getting meticulous with this D series turbo build. On the other hand, if you are looking to hit the 300s hp category, its highly attainable with the D series. Just keep in mind you are running this all on a STOCK block, nothing lasts forever... NOTHING DOES!! pretty thrilled to see how this comes out.
Old 08-24-2016, 06:36 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a real turbo kit and a name brand clutch or you'll regret it later when they fail.

Go-Autoworks is a budget friendly option for quality setups
Competition Clutch is what i'd suggest for the clutch side of things, not Yonaka - never heard of them

Yonaka Clutch - doesn't seem like a quality product IMO
Old 08-24-2016, 09:05 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Okay. So I am going to scrap the idea of a cheapie turbo kit and save up a bit more for a Go-Autoworks kit. Same with the clutch. As far as the actual rebuild goes I'm going have it done by a shop since I don't have the area to do it or some needed tools. For injectors I was curious as to any suggestions for size. Obviously something like 1000cc would be to big for a goal of 350hp so What size should I upgrade to? And if anyone could recommend a brand I would appreciate it. Then there is the issue of tuning. The only ECUs I have found are for OBD1 (93-95) and mine is a 97. Does anyone know a solution? Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the help!

Edit: I found a set of 550cc injectors from Go-Autoworks, would this be good for my set up?

Last edited by Cedrickyle; 08-24-2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:25 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cedrickyle
Okay. So I am going to scrap the idea of a cheapie turbo kit and save up a bit more for a Go-Autoworks kit. Same with the clutch. As far as the actual rebuild goes I'm going have it done by a shop since I don't have the area to do it or some needed tools. For injectors I was curious as to any suggestions for size. Obviously something like 1000cc would be to big for a goal of 350hp so What size should I upgrade to? And if anyone could recommend a brand I would appreciate it. Then there is the issue of tuning. The only ECUs I have found are for OBD1 (93-95) and mine is a 97. Does anyone know a solution? Thanks again guys, I really appreciate the help!
550cc injectors would almost cut it, but i'd probably go for 720-880cc on gasoline and 1000cc's for e85. Injector Calculator

Deatschwerks 750cc Injectors

ECU: Since you're OBD2a, you need a jumper harness from OBD2a to OBD1 and will then run either a P06 or P28 ECU socketed for Hondata/ Neptune/ Crome , etc. (links below)

OBD2a to OBD1 Jumper Harness - Xenocron

Chipped P28 ECU - Xenocron

Crome Pro (Cheap tuning option) - Xenocron
Old 08-24-2016, 05:51 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Lets not forget motor mounts..

20 year old mounts will turn to jelly with that much power.

Yung grasshoppa, ye will learn the weakest link in your set up really quick until youve replaced almost everything.

Your first and most important thing is have suspension components checked and replaced if they are out of service condition. Brakes as well. adding 3X the power it was designed for means your going to have to make sure the car is safe for you and others on the road.

Also have a different car for when something breaks (and it will) so you can get to work while its being repaired.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:43 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by Schister66
550cc injectors would almost cut it, but i'd probably go for 720-880cc on gasoline and 1000cc's for e85. Injector Calculator

Deatschwerks 750cc Injectors

ECU: Since you're OBD2a, you need a jumper harness from OBD2a to OBD1 and will then run either a P06 or P28 ECU socketed for Hondata/ Neptune/ Crome , etc. (links below)

OBD2a to OBD1 Jumper Harness - Xenocron

Chipped P28 ECU - Xenocron

Crome Pro (Cheap tuning option) - Xenocron
Thanks for the info. Now as far as the ECU goes, I have virtually no experience with them. So I know I need the adapter wire to convert from OBD2 to OBD1 and then either a plug and play stand alone system or a piggy back system. That is about the extent of my knowledge, so what is your advice? Should I go with say an AME system or the hondata S300? And with either one will I have to go though and tune it? If so how? I would go to a high performance shop and ask them however I live in a rather rural area where no such place exists.

What suspension components should I check? I was considering going through and just replacing all the bushings, I figured after 20 years they are probably going to need it. And I have a 06 impreza as a back up car. I know I will need it eventually haha.

Last edited by Cedrickyle; 08-27-2016 at 10:32 PM.
Old 08-27-2016, 11:07 PM
Honda-Tech Member

hondata s300 worked fine for me. I have the obd2 to obd1 adapter and a obd1 ecu with hondata installed
Old 08-27-2016, 11:40 PM

Received 234 Likes on 209 Posts

Well, you know my vote....and it ain't Hondata that's for damn sure..

As for bushing change, yes if at all possible, but go hard race rubber, not poly