Notices

D16y8 - JRSC / What flywheel to use for best performance? Lightweight or OEM?

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2007, 10:51 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16y8 - JRSC / What flywheel to use for best performance? Lightweight or OEM?

Calling all knowledge masters!!!!

What would be the best flywheel and clutch system for a D16y8 sohc vtec motor with a Jackson Racing Supercharger on it with stock 6lbs boost pulley?

I dont want to spend a million dollars but want a reliable and high performance system.

All answers appreciated

Did searches but need specifics and dont have 10 hours to search lol.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:34 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16y8 - JRSC / What flywheel to use for best performance? Lightweight or OEM? (Budget Racer)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Budget Racer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I dont want to spend a million dollars but want a reliable and high performance system.</TD></TR></TABLE>

So does every other Honda owner.

How much performance are you aiming for? Do you have a 1/4 mile or WHP goal?
Old 05-31-2007, 03:40 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16y8 - JRSC / What flywheel to use for best performance? Lightweight or OEM? (confucioussae)

Funny guy

160 to 170( =whp?) horsies I guess. I do mostly 1/8 mile races.

Lets leave price out of it for the most part. I just want to know what weight flywheel would be good for JRSC boost and recommended brands. I will probobly go with an ACT clutch not sure which one though.

Keep in mind it's a daily driver and do not want to sacrifice reliability.

By the way I am a great shifter so the rpm drop between gears shouldn't be a problem for the most part but thats my main concern. So light as possible without sacrificing performance.

Let's see some serious examples please.

Im not cheap just don't want to over do it. Jah know?
Old 05-31-2007, 04:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: D16y8 - JRSC / What flywheel to use for best performance? Lightweight or OEM? (Budget Racer)

Uh any1???

"I LOVE RICE"
Old 05-31-2007, 11:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

What no one knows?
Old 06-01-2007, 06:55 AM
Honda-Tech Member

IT's a Friday bump......
Old 06-01-2007, 07:23 AM
Honda-Tech Member

if i was you, i would stick with the oem flywheel to take full advantage of the SC. if you had a lightweight flywheel, the engine would spool up so much faster that boost would take long to build up. im going off my own personal experience, d16y7 crx jrsc 8psi, i cant hit boost in first gear no matter how hard i try, it spools up so fast that it wont turn into boost until second gear. it basically depends on where you want your powerband and personal preference.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:43 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (QuickStyle)

Finally a response Thanx!!

I'll take that into consideration.

Interesting, but I thought SC's get boost faster than turbo.

Any other opinions?

Old 06-01-2007, 07:44 AM

I don,t know why people say they dont spool with a light flywheel. Your simply using less of your hp to turn the flywheel so as more hp goes to the wheels. Dont forget as long as the clutch is engaged the car is attatched to the engine and the car loads the engine ALOT more than a heavy flywheel.
I have a 7lb flywheel and start building boost @ 2500rpm and get all of it(11psi) around 3800rpm.
Old 06-01-2007, 07:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Ubertec)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ubertec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">I don,t know why people say they dont spool with a light flywheel. Your simply using less of your hp to turn the flywheel so as more hp goes to the wheels. Dont forget as long as the clutch is engaged the car is attatched to the engine and the car loads the engine ALOT more than a heavy flywheel.
I have a 7lb flywheel and start building boost @ 2500rpm and get all of it(11psi) around 3800rpm. </TD></TR></TABLE>

Are you talking about a Supercharger or Turbo?

or would this apply to either?
Old 06-01-2007, 08:04 AM

Default Re: (Budget Racer)

Thats a good question because a jrsc is attatched to the motor so every revolution it pumps the same volume of air. A turbo relies on exhaust volume. So loading the car is not as big of a deal. Turbo antilag techniqes dont apply to supercharges.
So you got nothing but good to gain, except you'll have to learn the clutch again but thats not hard.
Old 06-01-2007, 09:24 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ubertec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Thats a good question because a jrsc is attatched to the motor so every revolution it pumps the same volume of air. A turbo relies on exhaust volume. So loading the car is not as big of a deal. Turbo antilag techniqes dont apply to supercharges.
So you got nothing but good to gain, except you'll have to learn the clutch again but thats not hard. </TD></TR></TABLE>

So than what is your opinion on the flywheel weight for the Supercharged d16y8?
Old 06-01-2007, 10:50 AM
Honda-Tech Member

superchargers rely on engine load to make boost, have you ever reved the engine up in nuetral? it will barely get into boost at all, now throw it in 5th gear at 15mph if you barely give it any amount of throttle it will get into boost, now a turbo rely's on exhaust speed to make boost, thats a different story
Old 06-01-2007, 11:27 AM

The engine load on a supercharged motor closes the bypass that keeps the pressure out of the engine while @ idle. The compressor is pumping air as long as the engine is on, the air is just routed back to the comprssor inlet instead of into the plentum untill you push on the gas. When you rev you motor in neutral your not applying the pressure needed to close the bypass valve.
Old 06-01-2007, 12:07 PM

7 lb Fidanza flywheel/exedy stage 1 racing clutch; )
Old 06-01-2007, 03:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (civic_saints1)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by civic_saints1 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">7 lb Fidanza flywheel/exedy stage 1 racing clutch; )</TD></TR></TABLE>

Please elaborate on your sugestion Civic saint.

I don't know for sure thats why im asking but doesnt 7lbs. seem like it may be to light?

Also I dont really understand the comment to "put it in fith gear at 15mph to make boost" It seems like their wont be much load that way. I dunno call me noob

Got me thinking though

Thanx for input more please
Old 06-01-2007, 05:49 PM

Dude, since your running the jrsc get the lightest wheel possible. you'll rap out fast as hell and fidanza is a whell that I've heard alot of people use. I use Unortodox racing but got it for cheap(they retail for around 400.00, fidanza arount 175.00.
Do it up!
Old 06-01-2007, 06:02 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Ubertec &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">When you rev you motor in neutral your not applying the pressure needed to close the bypass valve.</TD></TR></TABLE>

another reason why you need load to make boost, i believe the bypass stays open until 10hg of vacuum

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by Budget Racer &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">
Also I dont really understand the comment to "put it in fith gear at 15mph to make boost" It seems like their wont be much load that way. I dunno call me noob
</TD></TR></TABLE>
i was just making a point to have maximum load on the engine to show you that the more load you have on the engine the easier it is to make boost.

if you have a lightweight flywheel you wont show boost as soon as you would with a heavier one, because the engine would rev up faster, but though the boost is there its just not showing because the engine is sucking in the air alot faster. im not trying to direct you away from getting the lightweight nor to stay with oem, just making a point that it all comes down to preference and what the car is mainly used for. most people would prefer the 12lb because its right in the middle. so let me make a scale of what i think would be best for you.

drag car : 7lbs (higher powerband)
street/strip : 10-12lbs (middle powerband)
commuter : 16lbs oem? (lower powerband) most torque feeling
Old 06-01-2007, 06:19 PM

Your still thinking turbo, the compressor is hooked to the motor, the motor turns faster, the compressor turns faster and creates the same volume every rotation.
Old 06-01-2007, 08:39 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Hey Thanx fellas for the info I believe it is more clear on what to get.

I will do the middle route because my car is a daily street racer / strip racer.

I was told that this flywhheel would rock for wat I want: ACT Streetlite Flywheel
It's 11.9 lbs. lil bit les than stock but not much. That way I guess I get the best of both worldz

Thanx every 1 very helpfull and didnt flame me hee hee
Old 06-01-2007, 09:54 PM

Your choice man, Im stickin to my 7lb. Fidanza but thats cuz Im goin turbo...well good luck with you setup bro!!!
Old 06-01-2007, 10:48 PM
* B A N N E D *

This is one of the dumbest threads I've ever read. Lighter flywheel = slower boost response?! Idiots! . When you stomp the gas, vacuum goes to zero. The only time it wouldn't is when then mass of your rotating assembly approaches zero. A lighter flywheel is NOT going to make this happen.

Go with the lightest flywheel that is still manageable to drive on the street (about 8lbs).
Old 06-01-2007, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

get a apexi exhaust and it wont sound ricey it will sound deeper. Or some thing better then a ebay can.
Old 06-01-2007, 10:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

ACT Street light, with a competition clutch...I love the setup, even with my already rev happy B16...
Old 06-02-2007, 10:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by QuickStyle &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">

drag car : 7lbs (higher powerband)
street/strip : 10-12lbs (middle powerband)
commuter : 16lbs oem? (lower powerband) most torque feeling
</TD></TR></TABLE>

You do realize that 90% of drag racing is in the first 60 ft right?

Quick Reply: D16y8 - JRSC / What flywheel to use for best performance? Lightweight or OEM?