Notices

D16y8 ebay turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 11:54 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16y8 ebay turbo kit

Alright guys, i know how much ebay turbo kits suck. They are all just cheap made, they cant with hold the power of name brand turbos and what not. But i am in highschool and really want to turbo my car. I have 106,xxx miles on it. I wanted to do an ebay turbo, i have heard some people get away with ebay turbo kits. So i started looking and i found one i liked. A FULL COMPLETE kit. I was wondering what are your guys say on this. I would only want to push 7 psi max anyways. I know that a d16 with stock internals can be pused up to about 220whp saftley. I would also be getting a Hondata S300 with it, and try to tune it myself with a friend who has boosted cars, and tuned them himself. He has experiance in this stuff, But i understand not as much as a professional shop. What do you guys think, is it worth to buy an ebay turbo just to mess around and have a car to work on as a first official turbo projeect?? Because if anything happens to the engine like blow it up a d16 isnt expensive to swap one in, or even upgrade to a b18c or something like that if i end up blowing my engine. Here is a link to the turbo kit i have found:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-Civic-...sories&vxp=mtr

Please what i am really asking is what are your thouhts if you were in my shoes?? like do you guys think its worth it? This is just the only way that i can turbo a car for like the next 2 years and i would really love to do it. But i just dont know, never had any experiance with this stuff thats why im asking you. Thak you all ahed of time.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:45 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: D16y8 ebay turbo kit

1. That kit is not complete
2. I would not use that turbo at all the cast mani, intercooler, piping and maybe BOV will be ok to use thats about it oh the oil lines will be fine as well. Save up for a garrett turbo.
3. You will need larger injectors DSM 450cc injector can be found for stupid cheap and a larger fuel pump
4. You will need to convert to OBD1 with P28 ECU so you can have it tuned for the boost
5. Have real tuner tune it on a dyno not some friend of a friend or whatever thats says he can tune. I have rebuilt more blown motors from "my friend's perfect street tune".

There is also another very good way to go turbo for cheap with the D16
This is a stock CRX HF manifold that can be found super cheap at wrecking years and is used a lot for inexpensive a turbo
http://www.ebay.com/itm/T3-T4-T04E-T...item4cefdb413e
Here is a turbo adapter for a T25 turbo
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garrett-T25-..._500wt_969they also come in other turbo flange styles like DSM, DSM twin scroll and T3 for different turbo options
A used turbo can also be found at wrecker for cheap like a T25 from a Nissan of DSM turbos from different Mitsubishi's.
Old 11-07-2011, 02:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

save up another $300-400 and buy a used brand name kit. It would be a lot cheaper in the long run, more reliable, and will probably continue to work until you're out of high school and have the money for whatever else you want to do to the car.
Old 11-07-2011, 03:49 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

not another "ebay turbo" thread

Old 11-07-2011, 03:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

They will be around as a long as China keeps pumping them out
Old 11-07-2011, 03:59 PM
Retired Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/%2A%2A%2Aforced-induction-forum-faq%2A%2A%2A-1024174/
Old 11-07-2011, 04:29 PM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you think this is a good idea, but take it from someone who has been in your shoes...hold off until you can build a proper turbo setup. Buying and running a cheap, knock-off turbo setup is only going to give you headaches and cause problems as one thing fails after the other. In the end, you'll spend more money half-assing this because you will eventually need to replace 80% of that turbo kit.

Honestly, the cheapest route to a boosted car is buying one that is already complete. For example, I spent close to $18,000 on my car and its for sale for less than half that. That's my thrifty suggestion of the day
Old 11-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Man U FTW

Originally Posted by LightningTeg
They will be around as a long as China keeps pumping them out
They will be around as long as people are dumb enough to buy them. Demand for cheap products drives the market for cheap products...not the other way around. I dont see them going away any time soon either. Nowadays, people getting into the Honda scene are "frugal". They don't want to spend any money on anything...generally because they have nothing to spend. This opens the door for cheap parts...the rest is history
Old 11-07-2011, 06:13 PM
Trial User

theres nothing wrong with an ebay kit just buy the kit and have a backup garrett turbo hehehe. but really piping is piping no big deal if your not tryna make huge numbers.
Old 11-07-2011, 06:24 PM
Man U FTW

^^ Nice first post. I'm going to have to disagree with you. I have personally seen with my own eyes, the issues caused by running garbage parts.

Ebay Turbo Kits:
Turbo
-They are badly balanced, compressor housings are 2-pieces and held together with glue (some, not all), their CHRA and bearing packs are unreliable at best, etc... You will replace this turbo within 2 years if it doesn't fail sooner. I recall a thread about a year ago where a brand new knock-off turbo failed on the dyno...not the kind of parts i want on my car.

Wastegate
-arguably the most important and most overlooked part. Knock-off wg's don't hold steady boost levels and are more prone to spiking.
-More boost than planned = lean conditions
-Lean conditions = BOOOM!

Manifold
-The welds will probably break before it arrives. Place directly in trash.
-When you follow B16T Integra's advice and replace the knock-off turbo with an actual Garrett, this manifold will then kill that new turbo. The welds will eventually break (sooner rather than later) and pieces of metal will fall into, and subsequently destroy your turbo.

Need i go on?