Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   D16Y7 Stock Turbo. Uh oh, not again -_- (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/d16y7-stock-turbo-uh-oh-not-again-_-2977084/)

Arseezy 09-07-2011 10:06 AM

D16Y7 Stock Turbo. Uh oh, not again -_-

I already used the oh so beloved Google, and my questions have only been partially answered, so time to go to you guys.

First my question started off as: "How much can hp can a D16Y7 with stock internals handle with a good tune?"

I've read that people are saying 170-200.

Does this mean 170ish hp for DD, and 200ish hp for the tracks?

For turbo builds, people have been saying create a goal before starting on a turbo build, and being a person who has never turboed anything I thought this sounded reasonable.

So now my statement is, I want to be at 200hp with a Stock D16Y7 Turbo.

So NOW, let's say the Y7's compression and leakdown results all go well, my question, is 200hp a safe amount of hp to be at for daily driving? Again I will be getting tuned by a pro, (By RichTuned for those in the Northwest)

Thanks in advance.

grumblemarc 09-07-2011 10:30 AM

Re: D16Y7 Stock Turbo. Uh oh, not again -_-

200 hp is 200 hp. makes no difference where you run it at. I wouldn't run more than 200 HP on a stock Y7. Period. You need to talk to Rich and ask HIM all these questions.

SovXietday 09-07-2011 03:07 PM

The correct answer is an extremely complex and hard to understand answer. Technically, it really has nothing to do with horsepower, but everything to do with torque. That being said, on a Y7 200whp can be safe as long as your tune is on. (200whp is generally around the 160-160wtq number, which is a "safe" number).

Also worth knowing that absolutely nothing is guaranteed. While one engine may make considerable horsepower, another engine may fail earlier than expected. No other way to know than to try.

mtber 09-07-2011 05:22 PM

200 whp shouldn't be an issue.

I have tuned several stock d16y7 engines making 200-240 whp on the stock engine without a single problem....

Turbo-LS 09-07-2011 05:44 PM

Ive street tuned several d's and one that i tuned hit the dyno recently and its putting down 207whp and 208wtq on 8 psi boost with i believe a 57 trim. its been on my tune for almost 2 years now 120k mile motor

koolaiddrizzy32 09-02-2014 07:39 AM

Seeing that i found a forum actually worth checking out, i figured i could get some legit opinions. I have a 2000hatch with a y7, stock except for intake and headers, with 300k (but mostly highway) and has been baby'd since i bought it and runs mint, i wanna boost it and go about 5psi. Is that a bad idea?

turbohatch96y7 09-02-2014 08:12 AM

With 300k miles?

No way, man. That motor is still breaking in.

LTCxD2B 09-02-2014 02:56 PM

A car I almost bought, my friend bought two years ago and had a tired single cam 60-89-90-140 compression results

Had a greddy small turbo kit with the blue box was pushing 6 psi for a year before he bought it until now where it has even lower compression ... Lost the oil filter once and has blown turbo seals but will start and drive

And he drove it everyday like a chimney on wheels until he got another car this summer

So unless u seize it or blow a hole in it ... Risk if u want lol

civicprototype 03-25-2015 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by LTCxD2B (Post 49932202)
A car I almost bought, my friend bought two years ago and had a tired single cam 60-89-90-140 compression results

Had a greddy small turbo kit with the blue box was pushing 6 psi for a year before he bought it until now where it has even lower compression ... Lost the oil filter once and has blown turbo seals but will start and drive

And he drove it everyday like a chimney on wheels until he got another car this summer

So unless u seize it or blow a hole in it ... Risk if u want lol

I have been reading and reading on turbo d16y7 turbo threads and no where do i see if you hook both O2 sensors up or not? can somebody enlighten me a bit? I have a 99 lx Sedan D16y7 I am about to turbo but i need to know about the main O2 and Secondary O2.

Thanks guys

LightningTeg 03-25-2015 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by civicprototype (Post 50276591)
I have been reading and reading on turbo d16y7 turbo threads and no where do i see if you hook both O2 sensors up or not? can somebody enlighten me a bit? I have a 99 lx Sedan D16y7 I am about to turbo but i need to know about the main O2 and Secondary O2.

Thanks guys

If you are putting a turbo kit on, I have to assume you are no longer using the factory OBD2 computer and using something like crome, neptune, hondata. In that case, you'd be OBD1 which only uses one O2 sensor and is not even necessary if the car runs in open loop all the time.

civicprototype 03-25-2015 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by LightningTeg (Post 50276678)
If you are putting a turbo kit on, I have to assume you are no longer using the factory OBD2 computer and using something like crome, neptune, hondata. In that case, you'd be OBD1 which only uses one O2 sensor and is not even necessary if the car runs in open loop all the time.

thanks, that is what i thought. Yes i plan on running a P28 with Jumper conversion to OB2B to OBD1 and keep my old ECU for Emission in IDAHO.
So i assume that i can remove my Secondary and keep my main then?
I appreciate the advice in advance.

Thanks Guys