Notices

D16Y7, how safe/long can I run the GReddy kit before tuning??? plus some other questions...

Old 08-08-2003, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16Y7, how safe/long can I run the GReddy kit before tuning??? plus some other questions...

my project car/daily driver
1998 DX hatchback (D16Y7) in Honda Vogue Silver
Current mods:
Alarm w/ keyless entry
Progress sport springs
Arospeed front tower strut bar
15" Konig Theory rims w/ Yokohama tires
Custom 2.5" cat back piping w/ DTM muffler (actually sounds quite nice)

Right now:
GReddy SOHC kit TD-04
w/ Spearco FMIC
all stock no BOV, or SAFC yet

Next:
Tranny swap (auto => EX 5speed man)
My mechanic/friend has all the parts from a GSR swap so I'm good in that respect, just need to get him the money . . .anyway.
to my questions:

I'm a turbo nub if you didn't notice already,
1) How safe is it to run the GReddy kit as is after install w/ no tuning whatsoever? and for how long?
2) I do intend to do some street racing Texas style once I get my car back to test her out and also test the auto out. I've heard that if I really get on the pedal that the wastegate cannot properly regulate the boost so I will actually spike to like 8-9psi (stock is 7psi). I'm worried about this since this could potentially harm the auto tranny while im saving up for the swap. Is this true?
3) If I decide to get the SAFC and get it dyno tuned locally, will I need to retune the car after the tranny swap? Someone already told me no, but he gave no real explanation.

Thank you for your time.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:07 PM

Default Re: D16Y7, how safe/long can I run the GReddy kit before tuning??? plus some other questions... (98d

it is not safe to run ANY boost unless you are prividing EXTRA fuel. what fuel managemnet are you planning you use?
Old 08-08-2003, 10:20 PM

Default Re: D16Y7, how safe/long can I run the GReddy kit before tuning??? plus some other questions... (98d

well for now, im gonna be using the "blue box" that comes with the GReddy kit.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 98dxhatch &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">well for now, im gonna be using the "blue box" that comes with the GReddy kit.</TD></TR></TABLE>

Then you can run the kit as long as your motor can hold out. I wouldn't really recommend going above 8 psi on the blue box. Hell, I'd stay around 6 just to be safe. But as is, the blue box will do the job, assuming it doesn't crap out on you! (Happened to me and another local guy. ) Oh, and there's really nothing to tune on the blue box.
Old 08-09-2003, 01:06 AM
OG triple OG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

uhhhh the e-manage is fully tunable if you get the software
Old 08-09-2003, 05:40 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TURSpoonEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">uhhhh the e-manage is fully tunable if you get the software</TD></TR></TABLE>

just to clafiy, the "e-manage" and the "blue box" are two different things. the blue box comes pre-tuned for whatever setup it was designed for. usually fine for 6-8 lbs...the reccommendations vary from kit to kit...however, i do not trust the blue box. i had problems with mine (both of them) which may have been a factor in my broken ringlands. but with a little luck it shoudl work out fine.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:36 AM
OG triple OG

so some kits come with the blue box and some kits come with the e-manage?
Old 08-09-2003, 10:07 AM
Honda-Tech Member

you need to get a BOV....If you wanna run safely than that should be the first thing to do.
Old 08-09-2003, 10:48 AM
Honda-Tech Member

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TURSpoonEK &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">so some kits come with the blue box and some kits come with the e-manage?</TD></TR></TABLE>

First gen kits came with a black box. Second gen kits come with a blue box. Third gen kits come with E-manage. (Do Civic kits now come with it? I know the 350Z kit does.) And the blue box is definitely not tuneable. A few people here tried opening it up and fiddling with it, but I don't know what the outcome was. But you're thinking of the E-manage, which I obviously know is, "uhhhh," tuneable.
Old 08-09-2003, 08:58 PM

yea, as many have already explained that the "blue box" is NOT the e-manage unit. I may decide to step up to the e-manage later, but with a good tuner and a dyno the S-AFC maybe enough for my needs. I really need to save up for the tranny swap before I do anything else to my car. Thanks for your help guys. Yea, i'll be saving up for the BOV. I'm thinking HKS or Greddy bov.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:25 PM
TurboJesse

I used to run the greddy kit with the black box when my car sohc auto back in the day held up fine for ~6 months then the tranny started shitting on me.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:49 PM

i have an auto greddy turbo right now and it is tolerable. i am going to get a tranny swap in about a month. just don't be too hard on the auto tranny.
Old 08-10-2003, 12:15 PM
OG triple OG

ya my kit came with the e-manage thats why i thought by blue box u ment e-manage , my bad