Notices

D16 turbo won't hit boost

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 02:57 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D16 turbo won't hit boost

OK so I installed the kit yesterday. Took it for test run car will not hit boost at all. Like as if a charge pipe was completely off. The charge pipes are tight not loose anywhere. I'm.not sure what the issue is. I don't know how to tell if maybe its leaking from the bov or waste gate possibly
Old 07-04-2016, 04:13 PM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts
Default Re: D16 turbo won't hit boost

Fire ring installed on the wastegate? If you have an open dump, you'll easily hear the wastegate leaking or open. It will sound like a loud exhaust leak as that is exactly what it is. BOV leaking would likely created a loud whistling sound. It should be adjusted until it's only very slightly open at idle.

Post pics and specifications of your turbo setup.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:16 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I'll post pics when I get back to the car but its on open downpipe right now so I doubt I would hear any exhaust leak from the waste gate anyway. Would any of the vacuum lines ran wrong cause it? I mean its not hitting any boost at all what so ever.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:42 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its a cheap eBay wastegate I know not the best idea but I've never had bad luck with them and its only on 6psi. But I thought that ring comes installed in them already
Old 07-04-2016, 07:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Also vacuum is only around 12-15 at idle
Old 07-05-2016, 12:56 AM
Premium Member

Received 163 Likes on 150 Posts

Incorrect vacuum line routing at the wastegate would cause an infinite boost scenario, not a no boost scenario.

You should still be able to hear the dump over the downpipe if it's opening.

Healthy stock cam engine should be between about -21 to -24inHg vacuum at idle. Sounds like you have a substantial vacuum leak somewhere or potential engine damage.

Gonna hazard a fairly safe guess and say this car hasn't been tuned?
Old 07-05-2016, 01:31 AM
Honda-Tech Member

No it hasn't been tuned. Its just on fmu missing link to get me to a tuner. The thing is the car has never seen boost at all. I'm the original owner. From the initial start up with the turbo kit it has never gone into boost
Old 07-05-2016, 05:41 AM
Honda-Tech Member

How big is your turbo and how did you attempt to go into boost?
Old 07-05-2016, 05:44 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Gt2871. I've driven the car 3 miles. It will start to spool but no boost at all. Its on open downpipe but sounds like ****. I feel there's maybe exhaust leak somewhere in the manifold or something almost sounds like open header. Manifold is new so is wastegate and turbo and all. Idk
Old 07-05-2016, 06:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

With your car running, put your palm over the compressor housing. The car should die. If not, then you have a boost leak.

I'm not sure if you have a wide band in, but go do some third gear pulls. You should be able to build boost.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah no wideband It hasn't got here yet. I've done a ton of 3rd, 4th gear pulls up to about 50-60 mph or so builds none at all. I'm starting to feel like the waste gate may be not working or leaking

Last edited by nokehockey20; 07-05-2016 at 06:10 AM. Reason: New
Old 07-05-2016, 06:17 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Does your car die if you cover the compressor housing intake?

Take your dump tube off and see if the waste gate is sealing.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:19 AM
Man U FTW

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My money is on the wastegate. Check that the fire ring is installed and that your vac lines are routed correctly.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:46 AM
Honda-Tech Member

I'm pretty sure the vacuum lines are right. But then again probably aren't seeing as how it only sees about 10-15 or so at idle
Old 07-05-2016, 12:44 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Ok I pulled the wastegate off. Fire ring wasn't installed. I put the fire ring on. No boost still. Also when I start the car it idles like **** still with about -8 vacuum. If I put my finger over the hole in the missing link that sounds like its whistling the whole time the idle calms down and vacuum goes to about -18 same as if I pull the vacuum line from the cruise control on back of manifold. Even with that unplugged or me taping over the hole on missing link it still will not hit boost at all
Old 07-05-2016, 01:35 PM
Fish Twig

Received 309 Likes on 285 Posts

Curious to see where this goes.

All the piping is connected properly correct?
Old 07-05-2016, 02:54 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nokehockey20
Ok I pulled the wastegate off. Fire ring wasn't installed. I put the fire ring on. No boost still. Also when I start the car it idles like **** still with about -8 vacuum. If I put my finger over the hole in the missing link that sounds like its whistling the whole time the idle calms down and vacuum goes to about -18 same as if I pull the vacuum line from the cruise control on back of manifold. Even with that unplugged or me taping over the hole on missing link it still will not hit boost at all
so your using a missing link which means you car is not tuned, and you wanna know why your car idles like ****?

what brand is the wastegate, still sounds like the wastegate is the problem. you sure you have the vacuum lines routed properly?
Old 07-05-2016, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Yeah I understand the idle part but it idles in a surge like a vacuum leak. If I unplug the cruise control vacuum it evens out. Either way still not hitting boost. I even put a wastegate block off just to see if it would do anything. Nothing at all still
Old 07-05-2016, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

I am pretty sure I do. Maybe not though I mean it seems pretty straight forward
Old 07-05-2016, 06:22 PM
Honda-Tech Member

what wastegate are you using? does it have more then 1 port? also is it new? could be defective might have to open it up

When I first hooked up my wastegate (has 2 ports) I had it going to the wrong port and I had 0 psi aswell

sounds like you have a vacuum leak somewhere
Old 07-05-2016, 07:21 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Its just a eBay wastegate. Yes its new. I'm running vacuum from the bottom port straight to compressor housing. Left the top part open
Old 07-05-2016, 07:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

That whole fire ring thing doesn't make sense to me. It can only be installed one way really the only way it will seal. Seems to me when it seals to the manifold it pushes the spring up anyway
Old 07-05-2016, 09:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 797 Likes on 737 Posts

The lack of a firing ring in the wastegate flange will DELAY the onset of boost, but it won't stop the system from making any. You may not be revving the engine up to a point where boost would actually be created without the firing ring installed... and this is a good thing since you are using a missing link and an FMU... because you haven't tuned it yet. I would suggest you do as stated above and cover the inlet to the turbo completely while the engine is running and see if the engine immediately stalls. If not, you have a leak and you must locate and repair it.

Also, for safely sake: DO NOT cover the turbo inlet with your hand... you may get part/all of it sucked into the compressor housing and serious injury can occur. If you like your fingers... keep them away from the compressor inlet !!! Use an extension tube connected to the turbo inlet at least a foot long if your only option is to use your hand to seal the opening. It would be much safer to come up with a viable alternative instead of your hand. Just find something that is rigid and flat... then place it over the inlet. If you have a silicone coupler that fits the inlet of the turbo, use that to help seal the flat plate.
Old 07-05-2016, 09:59 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by JRCivic1
I would suggest you do as stated above and cover the inlet to the turbo completely while the engine is running and see if the engine immediately stalls. If not, you have a leak
you would actually close the inlet on the TB, not the turbo itself much safer and more precise as the bov will most likely be allowing enough air in to keep the engine running
Old 07-06-2016, 02:32 AM
Honda-Tech Member

OK so I drove it to work to see how it would do. 6miles one way again not even close to ever hitting boost. When decelerating and going into neutral or just stopping the car cut off every time. The only way it runs right is to unplug a vacuum source. Also I noticed that the little gasket between the turbo and the manifold was like broken off and sticking out.one of the bolts holding the turbo to manifold came out and I guess it overheated. I know that is exhaust leak but would that small gap be enough to completely not hit boost at all. I even tried to hit about 6k in 3rd and nothing but I can hear the turbo and all when going slow and normal shifting

Quick Reply: D16 turbo won't hit boost