Notices

d16 turbo build

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 08:10 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default d16 turbo build

I just got me my first project a 97 CX hatch completely stock. It's got a y7 in it not one bolt on. I wanna go with boost. How much will it cost me? Any one know of a legit website that sells a rebuilt y7? I'd like to just get the rebuild kit but I can't trust anyone in my area especially with tuning. It's like they don't want any one to have a fast Honda around here. By the way the race scene in my area mainly includes cobalts speed 3s and diesels lol. I really wanna boost my d series I've looked on eBay for turbo kits but according to some people their turbos suck. So I need a legit turbo kit that won't ruin the motor. By the way I was wanting to make around 220-280 hp. Please give me tips and some info I'd really appreciate it.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Get rods and Pistons .... The stock rods are pencils and can't handle any type of fun and if they some how do the ring lands will crack.. This was my Jdm d15b with 40k eclipse garret t25 8psi ... Had no signs of detonation and bent a rods and turned it to dust
Attached Images   
Old 01-07-2015, 01:08 PM
I never narc'd on nobody!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: d16 turbo build

FAQ sticky. It exists for a reason, and all of your questions are answered there.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:23 PM
Honda-Tech Member

^what he said.. Otherwise your gonna get flamed
Old 01-07-2015, 02:31 PM

I know the information is in the FAQ sticky, and if it isn't, it's pretty easily found, but I'll give you this much: You aren't going to reliably get 280 out of stock internals. 220 is the max for reliability on a stock rotating assembly.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:15 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by LTCxD2B
Get rods and Pistons .... The stock rods are pencils and can't handle any type of fun and if they some how do the ring lands will crack.. This was my Jdm d15b with 40k eclipse garret t25 8psi ... Had no signs of detonation and bent a rods and turned it to dust
How much power were you making? So get rid of stock rods for sure. What about pistons? I'll be happy getting in the 230-240 area. Where'd you get your turbo kit? Thanks for the tip man I wouldn't want that to happen to me.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:18 PM
Honda-Tech Member

@ 230-240 reliability goes out the window. Been there done that. Not there to push the limit but to know the limit. If it's your daily be happy at 200 until you want more, then know you need to build it unless u wanna bum rides to work. That kit can be found on eBay judging off the eBay mani and bov/ find junkyard turbo. Still gotta get injectors, chipped ecu, y8 intake manifold and a tune with whatever system your tuner is comfortable with. It adds up, especially if u start from scratch which it sounds like u are.

Last edited by ek9_beast; 01-07-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:29 PM
Honda-Tech Member

For the cost just get a b series of any kind but if ur heart is set ... My kit is an xs power dsm manifold for $100 crappy crack style and a $50 turbo from the junkyard from a 2g eclipse garret t25 I just had a custom exhaust made from the stock eclipse setup ... I used brake line for the oil feed and the stock banjo and rubber hose combo for the coolant ... Street tuned conservative with no signs of running lean or detention and boom bent rod until dust /holes but I can guess it was around 140tq since it was almost the same amount of force in the seat as the stock ls I have now lol
Old 01-07-2015, 03:32 PM
Honda-Tech Member

It was fun waste of two days and $700 total in the swap/turbo kit from trash I had laying around
Old 01-07-2015, 04:08 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Fyi: hp is simply tq x rpm/5252. so throwing out an arbitrary hp figure as being "max" isnt ideal and has sadly become an inaccurate standard in the industry. Just like "how much boost can I run?".
High threshold, slow transient spool characteristics paired with high rev limits can produce (x)hp with low tq and, as a byproduct, can be easier on the rotating assembly. Low threshold, quick transient spool characteristics paired with aggressive timing and lower rev limits can produce the same hp, but with higher tq #'s and greater strain on the rotating assembly.
Small, quick spooling turbos arent friendly to stock motors...
Old 01-07-2015, 04:17 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Boost4Breakfast
Small, quick spooling turbos arent friendly to stock motors...
Bullshit.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
Bullshit.
.....any reasoning to back up this statement?
Think about it. The lower the rpm, the more physical time the combustion event has to act on the rotating assembly. The slower the speed, the less inertia the piston/rod assembly has and so is more resistive to change. As a result, the rod, being the weak point in this instance, is more likely to bend as it is in between the combustion event and the crank's resistance to turn and is fighting a reciprocating force and a revolving force.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:41 PM

Whereas your statement has no standing in reality, proven or theoretical. You're thinking, which is good, but you're over-simplifying AND over-thinking it all at the same time. There's absolutely nothing wrong with running a small, quick-spooling turbo on any healthy motor, stock or otherwise.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:47 PM
The Grumpiest

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Boost4Breakfast
.....any reasoning to back up this statement?
Think about it. The lower the rpm, the more physical time the combustion event has to act on the rotating assembly. The slower the speed, the less inertia the piston/rod assembly has and so is more resistive to change. As a result, the rod, being the weak point in this instance, is more likely to bend as it is in between the combustion event and the crank's resistance to turn and is fighting a reciprocating force and a revolving force.
I've been running a relatively small turbo on a stock engine with no real issues for close to 4 years. SO I think I can call bullshit to an obvious bullshit statement like yours as opposed to just copy pasting/paraphrasing something I found on the internet to make me sound scientific.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:50 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by NotARacist
Whereas your statement has no standing in reality, proven or theoretical. You're thinking, which is good, but you're over-simplifying AND over-thinking it all at the same time. There's absolutely nothing wrong with running a small, quick-spooling turbo on any healthy motor, stock or otherwise.
Ok, have fun in your skewed world. I'm not going to go into the various stock long block engines I've tuned and the other tuners I know who's experiences reflect this "theory".
You're #1 and I bow to your infinite wisdom.

I'm about done with the widespread ignorance being promoted on this site just reinforcing the stereotypes that have been plaguing the Honda community.....
Old 01-07-2015, 04:55 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Originally Posted by grumblemarc
I've been running a relatively small turbo on a stock engine with no real issues for close to 4 years. SO I think I can call bullshit to an obvious bullshit statement like yours as opposed to just copy pasting/paraphrasing something I found on the internet to make me sound scientific.
Well darn, I could throw a tiny turbo on and engine and make it last.... not hard. Probably not breaking any records anytime soon.... or even getting close. Also not my fault you cant comprehend the internal dynamics of an engine. You can lead a horse to water....
Old 01-07-2015, 05:11 PM

If you don't like the tried and true information available here, from both amateurs, hobbyists, and industry professionals alike, then you're going to need a lot more than "because I said so" for anyone to listen to you, especially when it's a piece of information that all of the above agree on. You started in the right direction, and then went on a completely irrelevant tangent. Quit playing the victim card as soon as someone questions you, and start defending your opinions with proof. Your appeal to false authority won't work here.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:17 PM
Honda-Tech Member

This conversation is way over the op's head I'm quite sure. Let me fix this.. A stock d16 can handle ABOUT 220whp reliably as proven, with a "typical" torque curve.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:25 PM
Honda-Tech Member

NOTARacist: I have yet to see any proof discrediting any statement I've made. Just because you read about something on here, doesn't make it fact. I can tell you dont completely understand whats going on in an engine and all the forces related. All you're saying is "no", "nope", "you're wrong", and you are the person who doesnt know what they're talking about.
What "industrial professional" are you referring to??
I'm trying to help the OP understand how an engine works.
NOTARacist, Good try tho. Almost sounded like you knew what you were talking about for a second.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:40 PM

**** keeps coming out of your mouth with nothing supporting it. You are literally trying to talk against what EVERYONE HERE knows to be true, with nothing more than a "because I said so". I shouldn't need to tell you who the industry professionals are here - they don't hide themselves, and with your join date, you've been around long enough that you should know who they are.

Notice how you are quite literally the ONLY person saying what you are? There's a reason behind that.

Do you really want me to pick apart your arguments? Would you like me to approach it from how painfully you've over-simplified it, or how impressively over-thought it?
Old 01-07-2015, 05:49 PM
Honda-Tech Member

....there are 2-3 people trying to discredit what I say. So that makes you guys right? This is entertaining. What does EVERYONE HERE know? please explain, because you are sounding more and more ridiculous the more you talk. I am truly sorry you cant grasp a simple concept.
And from your join date, I can tell all you barely know about is hondas, and you are perpetuating ideas and theories that the rest of the automotive world has tried, found to be wrong, and have moved on from.

I guess ignorance is bliss.... you must be in paradise
Old 01-07-2015, 06:06 PM

Do you really need everyone on this forum to come here and tell you you're wrong before you accept it? Too bad this isn't my first account, but hey, that only further ruins your theories.

Still waiting to hear how you'd like me to systematically destroy your argument, by the way.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:31 PM
Honda-Tech Member

When are you going to accept common sense? Seriously. Just because you and a few other people that are only getting their misguided information from one source are just playing parrot to what someone said, that should be taken as fact? And please destroy my argument any way you can..... I'm all ears.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:57 PM

Me and a few other people? More like every knowledgeable member on this forum. You are literally spouting nonsense that is the epitome of wrong, using big words to try to lend your argument credence, and not even trying to support it with anything even remotely close to facts.

OK, let's start from the over-simplification. You claim that a small, quick-spooling turbo is bad for a stock motor. Tell me exactly how a Garrett GT12 is going to destroy an L15. The reasoning should be the same as why a GT22 is going to blow up a D16, or why a GT28 is going to blow up a K24, so let's hear it. That's your claim, so let's hear you support it with facts.

Now let's jump straight to over-thinking. Your overthinking is pretty easy to destroy. None of what you said will hurt a properly assembled motor. Quite simply, torque breaks rods, and cylinder pressures break sleeves. Known, proven fact. When using a properly sized turbo that is capable of producing the torque numbers that would break rods, or the cylinder pressures that would break sleeves, we have these great things called wastegates, that allow us to modulate cylinder pressures. This allows us to put, say, a GT30R on a B18, and only allow it to produce 8 PSI, or 20 PSI, or 35 PSI, or whatever pressure ratio we have determined will give us our power goals.

So, are you done spouting completely irrelevant nonsense, or are you actually going to step up and try to defend your logical fallacies?
Old 01-07-2015, 08:01 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Me and a few other people? More like every knowledgeable member on this forum. You are literally spouting nonsense that is the epitome of wrong, using big words to try to lend your argument credence, and not even trying to support it with anything even remotely close to facts.
Who? And thank you for verifying this is the only site you use for your vast knowledge.

OK, let's start from the over-simplification. You claim that a small, quick-spooling turbo is bad for a stock motor. Tell me exactly how a Garrett GT12 is going to destroy an L15. The reasoning should be the same as why a GT22 is going to blow up a D16, or why a GT28 is going to blow up a K24, so let's hear it. That's your claim, so let's hear you support it with facts.
I said they are not friendly on stock engines, not that they would blow them up. Where did you get that? Please quit making **** up or quote me where I said It would blow up......
Fact: Smaller turbos, all else equal, will spool faster
Fact: the earlier the turbo spools, more torque will be created lower in the powerband
Fact: the lower the rpm, the more actual physical time the combustion event has to act on the cylinder. The piston is moving slower. More physical pressure is needed in the cylinder to produce the same tq as would be needed at higher rpm. (as torque is measured AFTER all the forces are done fighting). Just lookup "moment of inertia" and "Acceleration torque" if you failed physics (which you probably did).
The later in the rpm range that torque is produced, the less stress the rod experience (if just talking about rods as the weak link).
An engine can survie a long time with a small turbo that properly tuned and cylinder pressure and peak torque managed, But a larger turbo and/or spool up/tq fed in later in the power band will make more HP, and torque that is produced at better efficiency.

Now let's jump straight to over-thinking. Your overthinking is pretty easy to destroy. None of what you said will hurt a properly assembled motor. Quite simply, torque breaks rods, and cylinder pressures break sleeves. Known, proven fact. When using a properly sized turbo that is capable of producing the torque numbers that would break rods, or the cylinder pressures that would break sleeves, we have these great things called wastegates, that allow us to modulate cylinder pressures. This allows us to put, say, a GT30R on a B18, and only allow it to produce 8 PSI, or 20 PSI, or 35 PSI, or whatever pressure ratio we have determined will give us our power goals.
Why are you talking about cylinder pressure and torque as being 2 entirely independent forces from each other? Please stop
Cylinder pressure is the force acting down upon the piston.
Torque is the measure of what is required to turn the crank.
A certain Cylinder pressure at lower Rpm will output less torque than the same cylinder pressure at higher rpm.
Cylinder pressure acting downward upon the little end of the rod while the moment of inertia of the crankshaft is acting upon the big end is what bends/breaks rods (given no oiling issues). The higher the rpm, the higher the actual "torque" required in order bend the rod due to the rod's inertia itself.
And a "properly assembled motor"? where the **** did that come in when I was talking about stock longblock engines? Define "properly assembled" as your definition will fall short of mine. Quit ******* grasping at straws rookie.

So, are you done spouting completely irrelevant nonsense, or are you actually going to step up and try to defend your logical fallacies?
You are very uneducated in this field and relying on someone else's accomplishments or mishaps in order to give credibility to yourself. I've been tuning and building cars for years. LSX's, mods, coyote's, rb's, sr's, vq's, vr's, 2j's, 4b11's, 4g63's, audi's, small blocks, big blocks, etc. Not just little hondas. So are you ******* done telling me about something you read on the internet while jacking off in your parents basement?

Last edited by Boost4Breakfast; 01-07-2015 at 09:16 PM.

Quick Reply: d16 turbo build