Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion

Honda-Tech - Honda Forum Discussion (https://honda-tech.com/forums/)
-   Forced Induction (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/)
-   -   D series - successful no head lifting....how did you TQ ur studs??? (https://honda-tech.com/forums/forced-induction-16/d-series-successful-no-head-lifting-how-did-you-tq-ur-studs-1086958/)

nonvtecD 12-17-2004 03:36 PM

I am not making much power per se, but the guys that are torquing heads to 85 ft lbs and up! That is way too much. What does ARP recommend. I have reused the stock head bolts, this is the third tiime I have popped the head. (Never blow a gasket, just swapped heads) And my stock bolts are still holding at stock torque, I did two steps like the manual said 22 ft lbs, then 47. I think the reason I haven't blown a gasket yet is because I am not running too much boost, but my stock bolts are on there third run and they're still good and 85 ft lbs is too much!!!

SOHC_MShue 12-17-2004 03:44 PM

Re: (TurbodCX)

my timing is around 15 degrees total timing at 10psi on a y8. Strange thing is that i keep hearing detonation..or what i think is detonation. I have tried everything..running 2 step colder plugs, using someone elses injectors, installing a walbro pump, etc. I have even pulled my plugs right after doing a hard pull in 3rd gear while hearing the sound and they show no signs of detonation. Also when pulling the head off i noticed that the pistons seemed to be in perfect shape with no signs of detonation. The problem usually occurs when i hit full boost right after vtec crossover. I have gotten rid of the problem by either adding so much fuel that my afr reads in the 9's(which obviously isn't the right way), or backing my timing down another few degrees which seems to be insanely low. I almost think i'm just hearing things, but it such a distinct sound.

beerbongskickass 12-17-2004 04:28 PM

Re: (SOHC_MShue)

My timing maps compared to others look pretty conservative. I have no problems at all running 10psi (215whp), but when I start running 12psi (230whp), with spikes to 14-15psi (shitty internal wastegate) when I hit full boost, that's when I have problems. I wonder if maybe knocking my timing back maybe 2 degees up top when I am running more than 10psi will help?

http://www.draglab.com/hmt/pat/timing.JPG

TurbodCX 12-17-2004 05:10 PM

Re: (beerbongskickass)

your timing isnt really that conservative bro, i am only running 12degrees of timing total in my car. with even lower when under 35+psi

Brian

maddog20 12-17-2004 05:13 PM

SoHC_Mshoe my car makes the same sound! Right after VTEC xover. It doesn't lose power or nothing it just like straining sound or popping sound not like marbles in a can sound.

I had my car tuned by Payn technologies which know to have super conservative tuning so I am at a loss? I haven't had signs of my headlifting again.

ATS*Mark 12-17-2004 05:23 PM

Re: (maddog20)

my timing is ok conservitive....not as low as they could be.....and i had my head checked today and it was perfect , not warped at all but had it resurfaced anyway . so we shall see . and im going to tq the studs to 65 ft lbs i think... ill let you guys know how my D handles 30 lbs https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

SOHC_MShue 12-17-2004 05:26 PM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maddog20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">SoHC_Mshoe my car makes the same sound! Right after VTEC xover. It doesn't lose power or nothing it just like straining sound or popping sound not like marbles in a can sound.

I had my car tuned by Payn technologies which know to have super conservative tuning so I am at a loss? I haven't had signs of my headlifting again.</TD></TR></TABLE>
holy shit someone that understands my pain lol. Have you checked your pistons or pulled your plugs after a hard pull? I wanna know if we are detonating or not because my car shows no signs other than the sound. Did you notice any chopiness in the dyno graphs? I don't lose any power at all like you too.

beerbongskickass 12-17-2004 06:33 PM

Re: (TurbodCX)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by TurbodCX &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">your timing isnt really that conservative bro, i am only running 12degrees of timing total in my car. with even lower when under 35+psi

Brian </TD></TR></TABLE>

Well I took off 2 degrees in last 3 columns. I am going to try that out when running more than 10psi and see if I still have headgasket problems. http://images.honda-tech.com/set1//smile/emcrook.gif

93turbo16 12-17-2004 08:51 PM

I am in the 19 degree area at 10 psi, where you are at now I guess.

rhamlinii 12-17-2004 09:57 PM

This has nothing to do with honda's, but on my dsm I torgued my arps down 105 ft pounds w/ the lube." I shall never blow a headgasket",Im also using a mitsubishi headgasket as well. Im also not making more then 600 awhp so im not worried about breaking my stock rods. I just have to worry about tunning and knock.

boostincoupe 12-18-2004 12:01 AM

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by maddog20 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">SoHC_Mshoe my car makes the same sound! Right after VTEC xover. It doesn't lose power or nothing it just like straining sound or popping sound not like marbles in a can sound.

I had my car tuned by Payn technologies which know to have super conservative tuning so I am at a loss? I haven't had signs of my headlifting again.</TD></TR></TABLE>

I have the same problem, fellas. https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emsad.gif

2 degree base timing retard.

SOHC_MShue 12-18-2004 12:13 AM

Re: (boostincoupe)

have you tried pulling your plugs right after a hard pull when you hear the detonation sound? Try shutting the car off immediately and doing that. I have done this a few times and not once even noticed any sign of detonation on my plugs. I'm just curious as to what yours would look like. Its a little more understandable that this may happen with your setup, but with me and maddog we both have adjustable timing maps with a plenty conservative tune and we are still getting it. Do you know how your afr looks also?

SOHC_MShue 12-18-2004 06:27 AM

bump

Bailhatch 12-18-2004 07:25 AM

I have been running 17* total from 11-13 psi (50trim) for a long time. stock block Z6, never had the head off. Seems to keep it pretty reliable even though I drive it like i'm trying to brake it more often than not.

lkailburn 01-02-2005 06:41 PM

Re: (Bailhatch)

when u get your head machined, do u also have to have those little head guide things machined? the little cylinder things

743power 01-02-2005 08:27 PM

Re: (lkailburn)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by lkailburn &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">when u get your head machined, do u also have to have those little head guide things machined? the little cylinder things</TD></TR></TABLE>

yea, have the same amount removed from the dowels as the head.

lkailburn 01-04-2005 08:27 PM

Re: (743power)

aight cool thank you https://honda-tech.com/forums/images...es/emsmile.gif

JDMCRX 01-04-2005 09:26 PM

Re: (lkailburn)

Good old fuckin D series head love to lift i think using cooper spray when i did it made it worst . Well i did stock gasket had the head checked and retorqued it never lifted the head just shattered a sleeve. SO now im back to stock internals lol.OH well good luck keep me up to date with ur D https://honda-tech.com/forums/images/smilies/emthup.gif

2muchboost2blow 03-01-2006 05:16 PM

Re: (93turbo16)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 93turbo16 &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">man if we all had that kind of money</TD></TR></TABLE>
then we wouldn't have sohc's lol

im having problems with head lifting also, mine was so bad it stripped the threads out of the block. i'd like to get arp studs but i dunno if i can drop the almost $100 for them. course that was on a mini-me making like 10.5:1, i'm running a full y8 with more like 9.6:1 now. had the machine shop check it and everything checks out. u think i'd be alright with copper spray and oem gasket? i highly doubt im making over 230whp

.dave 03-01-2006 05:37 PM

Re: (2muchboost2blow)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by 2muchboost2blow &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">then we wouldn't have sohc's lol

im having problems with head lifting also, mine was so bad it stripped the threads out of the block. i'd like to get arp studs but i dunno if i can drop the almost $100 for them. course that was on a mini-me making like 10.5:1, i'm running a full y8 with more like 9.6:1 now. had the machine shop check it and everything checks out. u think i'd be alright with copper spray and oem gasket? i highly doubt im making over 230whp</TD></TR></TABLE>

What does your timing map look like? You do know that the Y8 requires significantly less timing advance than a P28 map has right?

2muchboost2blow 03-01-2006 11:47 PM

Re: (daveG)

2 degree advance throughout under load, stock timing partial throttle.
i used a step retard,
0-3psi - .45deg/psi
3-5psi - .55deg/psi
5-7psi - .65deg/psi
7-9psi - .75deg/psi
9-11psi - .95deg/psi

HMMMM u know i just realized that!
i was using a stock p28 map!! i guess timing is different for a z6 motor than a y8 motor huh... does anybody have a map for a y8 with the right ignition settings, or point me in the right direction?

2muchboost2blow 03-02-2006 12:12 AM

what if i spot welded the head to the block in 4 corners haha? but seriously!
it'd be easy enough to cut off if i had to do it, but would reinforce the gasket just in case the bolts backed themselves out...

Pay2play killa 03-02-2006 01:58 AM

i've never had a headgasket issue with ARP studs.
I also torque mine to 80lb instead of 55. 55 just doesn't seem like enough.

I've hit some serious detonation and boost spikes with my built Z6 and never had a hg problem; I even REUSED the mls gasket from when i first put my built d16z6 block together and was running it all-motor with an A6 head. still no problems.

JDM00SI 03-02-2006 05:26 AM

Re: (boostincoupe)

If your having a problem with head lifting....
Maybe its the tuning, might have too much timing. A friend had hte same problem, found out there was WAY too much timing in the tune.

af-performance 03-02-2006 05:50 AM

Re: (JDM00SI)

PM " igo4bmx"

I know he has had this issue a couple times on his boosted D.. I know he fixed it, dont remember how though. Imma go link him here on aim.

Rick
Air Fuel Performance