Notices

D-series Drag III manifold + 60 trim T3 .48/.60 (down2turbo) fitment issues?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 12:19 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default D-series Drag III manifold + 60 trim T3 .48/.60 (down2turbo) fitment issues?

I'm trying to figure out a few things here about the fitment of this manifold and turbo combination...

I'm trying to figure out if it would be better to position the compressor housing on the driver's side or the passenger's side... either way, it looks like I might have issues!

Take a look...

First of all...if I position the compressor housing on the driver's side....

If I do it this way...

- I have no issues with the oil inlet flange hitting anything

- I will have to fabricate a wastegate dumptube that curves back around the manifold and connects back into the downpipe on the other side (a pain in the ***)...

- I'm not sure if I will have enough room on that side for a filter...I will be using a K&N 2.5 inch cone filter, I'm thinking it might hit my power steering pump...I don't have air conditioning so I don't have to worry about that...

?? With the compressor on the driver's side is there enough room for a filter? It looks like the Drag mani will put the compressor inlet right in front of the power steering pump...

If I position the compressor housing on the passenger's side...

- I have to position the oil inlet so it's not perfectly up and down...it has to be tilted back or else the oil inlet flange will hit the manifold...

If I do it this way...

- The oil inlet will be off center by about 20 degrees....

- I can use a regular Drag downpipe...

?? How far off center can the oil inlet be without hurting the turbo? Would it be okay for me to position my oil inlet angle like this??

For those of you who have this or a similar combination, what did you do?

BTW...my oil inlet on the turbo is not threaded so I have to use the inlet flange...

What should I do? What are the positive and negative aspects of positioning the compressor housing on the driver's or passenger's sides?

Thanks so much for your input!

Modified by EJ1 wilcox at 8:40 PM 9/6/2004
Old 09-06-2004, 01:10 PM
Banned

Default Re: D-series Drag III manifold + 60 trim T3 .48/.60 (down2turbo) fitment issues? (EJ1 wilcox)

Man that oil feed flange is really kicking your ***. My friends turbo is threaded on the feed and its still tight. Can you get some button head screws to hold the flange on and dremel it so that it can rotate? We have his turbo set up so that the compressor faces the passangers side. I don't know your motor or chassis. You gotta be carefull that you don't hit the radiator however.

But your only problem with the second way is the oil feed being off 20 degrees? That is absoutley fine. That would position the drain off about 20 degrees off vertical as well, not a huge problem. Just make sure you use a big drain like 7AN or something and try to make it slope at as much as an angle as possible. If you can keep the slope at least 15 degrees at the worst point you'll be in really good shape. If you can make a 45 degree drain that is about as ideal as you can get.
Old 09-06-2004, 01:26 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why cant u just clock the whole turbo.... loose the turbine housing a lil bit and turn it just a bit so u get the center cartidge lined up and use it with the compressor to pass side
Old 09-06-2004, 02:20 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (USDM 4G VTEC)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by USDM 4G VTEC &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">why cant u just clock the whole turbo.... loose the turbine housing a lil bit and turn it just a bit so u get the center cartidge lined up and use it with the compressor to pass side</TD></TR></TABLE>

In the pictures I have the cartridge clocked as close to straight up and down as possible...

You can see in the second to last picture that I can't rotate the cartridge any more without the oil inlet flange hitting the turbine inlet flange....

Damn flanges...

I'm thinking I might just put the compressor housing on the passenger's side...as long as it's okay to have the feed a little off center...

Oh, by the way, I am using a -10an drain...the push fit kit that Stan sells...I don't think I'll have a problem with the oil drain working...
Old 09-07-2004, 08:11 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (EJ1 wilcox)

Okay, so I've pretty much decided to put the compressor housing on the passenger's side...

Check out the angle of the cartridge...is it too off center? Or, will this work?

I tried to set it up approximately how it is going to be sitting when it's installed in the car...

Here I tried to trace the angle of the oil feed...once again...is this okay?

Here's the drain I am going to be using...I don't think I'll have any problems with that...as long as it drains!

Is this too much angle? What is the maximum angle that the cartridge can be tilted at?
Old 09-07-2004, 11:21 PM

where'd you get that flange for the air filter on the compressor inlet?
Old 09-07-2004, 11:35 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (diputs)

Here is the link to the Super 60 inlet flange: http://www.42draftdesigns.com/cnc.htm
Old 09-08-2004, 05:11 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (Speed-Factor)

damn, good looking out with that inlet flange! Only problem is...they are moving locations and orders are put on hold for a few weeks. (Doh!)
Old 09-08-2004, 03:30 PM

Default Re: (turboteg2nv)

if you're really worried about the angle, buy a t3 exhaust flange, and another gasket and space it down with some longer bolts...I doubt that extra half inch will F.up your oil drain...sorry I didn't contribute something useful before.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:04 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (diputs)

Bump for some more input...

I did some reading in Maximum Boost and it said...

"Vertical is the ideal allignment, but where necessary, the deviation may be as great as 30 degrees."

"Oil inlet and outlet drain possitions must always be within 30 degrees of vertical to assure a gravity drain from the bearing section back to the oil sump."

Okay...

I'm not sure if I am pushing 30 degrees or not but I'm pretty sure the turbo will drain correctly, I have a -10an drain with a clear path to the oil pan...

Any more thoughts or warnings??
Old 09-09-2004, 04:23 PM
Banned

I'd say your in the clear, honestly.
Old 10-06-2004, 09:08 AM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: (danl)

Bump for any more input!

I want to make sure I'm not going to have any problems lubricating my turbo, I don't want to burn it up!