Notices

Custom TURBO KIT w/ cutout on HMT.com

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2005, 07:33 PM
CALM_AS_A_BOMB

Default Custom TURBO KIT w/ cutout on HMT.com

This is a thread on HMT.com by ABAZ. So ABAZ if your a memeber on H-T and want me to remove this PM me. Good work on the KIA.

----------------------Article starts here------------------------------

Well alot of you know I do work at a Kia dealership as a technican, last month I was able to talk my boss into letting me turbo a used 02 Kia spectra on the lot. Picked out this one, we werent in the car very much, it didnt have AC and it has around 40k miles, seemed to be perfect for the job.
Keeping it "HMT" I decided to go with a nice used DSM T25 I had laying around. This was the first initial test fit, using coat hangers I was able to mock where I wanted everything.
Heres the base plate I used to weld the manifold so it didnt warp, I had to order a custom head flange from davesport since nobody makes head flanges for kias I went with a unique style manifold, I wanted it to be different than anything I've seen, its basically like a reverse ram horn.Using several Mcmaster 304L stainless steel 90 degree bends (sch 10) w/ a shitbird collector.A shot of the stock manifold w/ precat vs the custom turbo mani and dsm t25 turbo.Another angleFirst test fit went very well, as you can see the mani is bling blinging, I spent several hours grinding down the welds and polishing the pipes.Using a Stealthmode oil feed line kit w/ tuner toys block fitting.A bit close to the alternator, but it fit pretty nice and length was perfect. <br /><br />Shot of the T25, as you can see the compressor housing has been modified, I had to aim the neck so it aimed towards the pass side. (full 180 degrees)<br /><br /><br /><br />The coolant fittings were also moved around a bit to aim towards the driverside.<br /><br /><br /><br />Mocking up the oil return, just used a barbed fitting off the tunertoyz return fitting to a section of the stock dsm return pipe to a chunk of pipe welded into the oil pan.<br /><br /><br /><br />Here is the Upper IC pipe, there are 2 Injector bosses welded in holding 2 DSM 450cc injectors<br /><br /><br /><br />Using braided -6 an line and fittings, the fuel is T'd off the end of the stock fuel rail (returnless system)<br /><br /><br /><br />Controlling the 2 injectors is the SDS EIC (Simple digital system Electronic injector controller) this was the first time I've ever used one but I thought it might work pretty decent for this setup. They are very easy to install, you basically have 2 ***** on the controller. One to set when the injectors come on in (vac/boost) and the other is threshold (how much the injector is injecting) it has a pretty cool led showing duty cycle. I had a bit of a tough time getting a good tach signal but I got it all figured out today <br /><br /><br /><br />The 2 coolant lines ran from the turbo w/ barbed fittings 5/16 (EFI fuel line works great for this hose) All the Charge pipes (other than the corners) are painted high temp flat black. Using tunertoyz silicone couplers and a few from napa too!<br /><br /><br /><br />2 lines tapped off the PCV line, one for the boost gauge and 1 for the map sensor that is build into the SDS EIC.<br /><br /><br /><br />Using a 6in Custom Coach intercooler and 2.5 stainless steel bends, came out real nice and fit pretty well. In order to get the pipes to show through the fog light holes relocating of the washer bottle (up 1in) and coolant overflow bottle (left 4 inches) was neceassary. I think it came out pretty nice.<br /><br /><br /><br />Using 2.5 IC piping on the Left side<br /><br /><br /><br />and using 2.25 piping on the right then flaring to 2.5 before the IC<br /><br /><br /><br />Heres a shot of the downpipe setup, as you can see I used a Electronic 3in cutout from Mccord power plate.<br /><br /><br /><br />All painted high temp black, the dump sits right in front of the right tire.<br /><br /><br /><br />Since the precat was removed I had to relocate the rear o2 sensor behind the primary cat convertor. Sensor 1 sits in the stock DSM o2 housing. All the wires were lengthend about 2-3 feet.<br /><br /><br /><br />Tuning was a big concern since I didnt want to blow the thing up, Kia engines are pretty strong from the factory. Huge rods, friendly compresson ratio, solid deck, cast block, and a tripple layer steel head gasket. I used my zeitronix wideband and our factory Kia High scan pro when doing all the tuning. <br /><br /><br /><br />It wouldnt be a hmt setup if the ecu wasnt laying on the pass floorboard also check out the sweet install on the boost gauge haha.. this is temporary until I can figure out where its going.<br /><br /><br /><br />Lowered on Intrax springs sitting on Rota Grid 17in wheels <br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />Came out pretty decent looking for a 4door I guess, I'm not to big of a fan of the styling but whatever.<br /><br /><br /><br />I ripped off all the "Kia Spectra" badges in the rear and added the classic dark grey HMT sticker.<br /><br />
All done, I used a honda battery in this thing because the upper IC pipe was just too close and it fit pretty decent. Overall I think this is probably the nicest setup I've ever done, I underbid the job bigtime and just glad its done. It still needs a bit of tuning here and there. Running a "solid" 8psi with the standard 10psi creep from a roll on. Hard to say how much power it made, feels decent for a Kia I guess. Not sure if we are going to dyno it or not, there are lots of people interested in buying it. Need to fix up some body damage and its going on the lot for sale!<br /><br />This write up was a big vauge.. I'm just super tired and am so glad I'm leaving for vegas tommorow
Hope you enjoy the pics! Any questions or anything shoot!<br /><br />Special thanks to
CustomCoach (Anthony)
Tunertoyz (Craig)stealthmodeperformance (Steve)
88dx for the BOV
Barry @ SDS
And Beau and Ted, thanks for your help guys, really appricate it
Old 04-03-2005, 07:51 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why are you reposting this?
Old 04-03-2005, 07:53 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Custom TURBO KIT w/ cutout on HMT.com (D4rk5y3D)

Old 04-03-2005, 09:14 PM
Honda-Tech Member

Default Re: Custom TURBO KIT w/ cutout on HMT.com (M.A.R.C.)

<TABLE WIDTH="90%" CELLSPACING=0 CELLPADDING=0 ALIGN=CENTER><TR><TD>Quote, originally posted by The Original Whitey &raquo;</TD></TR><TR><TD CLASS="quote">Why are you reposting this?</TD></TR></TABLE>

Yeah man, he already posted this on here...